April 2016 Moms
Options

Exersaucer, jumperoo, etc.

Has anybody tried this out yet? I pulled ours out of the closet today and R is already too tall for the shortest setting. I only sat her in it for a second, but I think she will enjoy it (for very short periods) once I get it cleaned up.
kids with flags

Re: Exersaucer, jumperoo, etc.

• Options
    ivyvines6ivyvines6 member
    edited July 2016
    Nah. Our pediatrician is against baby carrying devices like that until baby is sitting up well on their own. Only thing Jackson uses is his mat on the floor and his swing on random occasion. We haven't bought anything like that yet.
  • Options
    I'm borrowing one from a friend. He only likes if for a couple of minutes, but he's got great muscular control. I'm not worried 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We have a jumperoo thing too (my mom calls it a johnny jump up). Havent used it yet though, maybe in another month or so. LO has good head control but Im not sure he's ready for it just yet. I cant wait though,  he loves to jump while we hold him.
  • Options
    We have the Exersaucer and my son is 24". His legs sit fine and even bend a little on the lowest setting but I'm feeling like... Did I install the seat pocket incorrectly? It SWALLOWS him. 

• Options
    We have the Exersaucer and my son is 24". His legs sit fine and even bend a little on the lowest setting but I'm feeling like... Did I install the seat pocket incorrectly? It SWALLOWS him. 

I think maybe the fabric should cover the plastic around the top rim of the "head hole?"
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just love this whole discussion!!
  • Options
    Nah. Our pediatrician is against baby carrying devices like that until baby is sitting up well on their own. Only thing Jackson uses is his mat on the floor and his swing on random occasion. We haven't bought anything like that yet.
    We don't even have a swing! While DS is awake he is always either held, in tummy time, on his play mat, or we have an little napper/seat he can sit in while we eat. Trying to see how long we can stay container-free. It's rather fun. 

My my mom had an exersaucer and jumparoo for us when we were little, but not for this young. 
  • Options
    I think we started using the jumperoo/bumbo around 2.5/3 mos with our first three. This one hasn't gotten enough tummy time/muscle strengthening in to be ready for it. Darn that reflux and barfing all the time! The more babies I have, the less contraptions I find useful.
  • Options
    Rofl this discussion is cracking me up xD. We don't have anything like this yet. We have the playmat, but honestly I don't think LO gets as much tummy time as is suggested, so not sure if she would be ready. She has fairly decent head control, but still thrashes about sometimes and still can't lift her head up far enough to look at you if she's on her tummy.
  • Options
    @kielpinskim Aaah you're right. Just looked up pictures. Should have done that sooner, I only thought "maybe it's not correct" after seeing this thread. I just thought he was still too short!

ETA:
    Yup, way better! 

He looks much happier now, although I did like the "whack-a-mole" look he had going on before.
    He had so much fun in it today!!! I feel like an idiot because I kept thinking "how are his legs the perfect height, but his torso THIS dramatically wrong?" 

Poor kid - mommy is NOT an engineer. 

• Options

I think maybe the fabric should cover the plastic around the top rim of the "head hole?"
    I know you already figured this out but I'm cracking up over this photo lol.

• Options
    @Missingchampagne you crack me up! I do stuff like that too. FTMs unite! Haha

I love the baby pics on here, they are all so cute! 
  • Options
    I just got LO a jumperoo and she loves it,, she kicks her legs to make it bounce and giggles,, I thought it was to early but she was ready,, 
  • Options
    I ordered a sit me up from Amazon last night. I hope he loves it! 
  • Options
    We have a bumbo too! He likes it a lot!
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    Same here! :smiley:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    WBORDERS said:
    Gabe loves his sit me up!! It really helps him work on his neck muscles and he loves looking around. 
  • Options
    Mason loves his sit me up! I feel comfortable leaving him in this for longer periods than the Bumbo, since he can still be kind of floppy with the Bumbo when he's tired. The sit me up is super padded until he graduates. Here he is watching movies, and helping me fold daddy's clothes! 

• Options
    The pics are ADORABLE!! 
  • Options
    Absolutely! Here's our time in grammy's Bumbo .
  • Options
    C's legs are almost too fat for the bumbo, but he loves the jumperoo. DS one loved it too...well worth the money! 
  • Options
    C's legs are almost too fat for the bumbo, but he loves the jumperoo. DS one loved it too...well worth the money! 
    Yup, only one of my four was able to fit into the bumbo. I make good milk!
  • Options
    We just got a bumbo too! (Please excuse her messy hair):)

The exersaucer is on it's way and I'm praying, PRAYING, our baby likes it, because my arms are killing me from holding and wearing her all day. I need to put her down once in a while, but she cries and cries.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    What a cutie!!
  • Options

My big guy loves his exersaucer. He's too chubby for a Bumbo and I've never really cared for those chairs anyways. 
  • Options
    DD has a sit me up and a Bumbo. She doesn't seem like an unusually small baby, but the sit me up seems to swallow her and she looks uncomfortable in it. I don't think she has the core strength for the Bumbo yet, even though she is pretty strong in general.

I am about to have to revoke her rock & play privileges (which makes me want to cry) because she practically rolled over in it yesterday.

I am trying to avoid the exersaucers because they are just gigantic and I don't want more of that shit in my house. Her play mat now is just a starting point for her. She uses it as a launch pad to just barrel roll around the house. When I don't have anything else to do, I love watching her but I really do need a place I can sit her and go to the bathroom or something without worrying about her escaping.
  • Options
    g&tlewis said:
    I ordered the Sit Me Up after reading about it on here, and Callen loves it! He doesn't look like it in the picture, because he refuses to smile for a camera. lol 
    Awww he is perfection!
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    https://mamaot.com/beware-the-baby-bumbo-seat/

As an OT, I can say I am not a fan of the Bumbo seat for positioning and developmental reasons. The above is a good read that explains why it may not be the best choice. Written by a peds PT on an OTs blog.
    Love Mama OT! 
  • Options
    @Missingchampagne Thank you! I'm pretty biased, but I think so, too. :smiley:
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

As an OT, I can say I am not a fan of the Bumbo seat for positioning and developmental reasons. The above is a good read that explains why it may not be the best choice. Written by a peds PT on an OTs blog.
    So based on that article, the Sit Me Up is the same deal huh?
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

I might be wrong ( @cmjenkies please correct me if I am) but I believe the Sit Me Up is actually a better alternative because it allows baby's butt/thighs/legs to be on the same level and therefore provides them with a better base of support and better practice with balancing. 
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:

I much prefer the sit me up. It doesn't force unnatural positioning at the pelvis in the manner that the Bumbo does. I don't use it very often, but I do own a sit me up. Developmentally speaking, encouraging the dreaded tummy time is the best thing for babies at this age to encourage the development of motor skills necessary for unsupported sitting, scooting, four point, crawling, etc.
  • Options
    @yodiggity LO, who originally hated tummy time, learned to go back to belly first and now intentionally goes into tummy time to stop fussing! I blame the gassy belly for that, probably feels better.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We've started tummie time and she actually sort of likes it. I think she likes the freedom and independence more than anything. 

We're still working on rolling over though. She loves to do it right when im in the middle of changing her nasty diaper. 

Anyway, she doesn't seem to be a fan of the bumbo and is still too small for her exersaucer. Sigh.

I'm considering one of those old fashioned doorway jumpers 

Pregnancy Ticker