October 2016 Moms
Options

Nurses thank you???

Ok I honestly didn't know this was a real thing. But I was looking through hospital bag list on Pinterest and like everyone of them says nurses thank you gift. So is anyone doing this? If so what are you doing? A basket of goodies? Thank you notes? I feel really bad now that I didn't do something for the nurses when my DS was born 3 years ago. 

Re: Nurses thank you???

• Options
    I've never heard of this can they accept gifts? 
  • Options
    I'm sending hubby out to buy them some doughnuts etc. As a thank you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I saw this on another board too (I don't remember which one). I didn't know it was a 'thing' but I do remember sending the nurse who was with me when I actually delivered my daughter a $15 Dunkin gift card. I had other nurses but (no offense to anyone!) they sucked. They were kind of mean and I was not a difficult person!! 

That being said, I think I will do something like an edible arrangement (maybe one for them and one for me!). On the other board I read a nurse's post that they don't tend to eat homemade treats because you just never know and while they appreciate any thought, they tend to always get sugary treats so things like a fruit basket actually are way more likely to be munched on. 

I I
  • Options
    It's not a requirement by any means. A simple and heartfelt thank you would suffice.

If you feel like it, however, a thank you note wouldn't be weird. And sweets are generally always appreciated. Monetary gifts are a no-no, as is anything that can't be shared with the entire shift. i.e.: gift cards, bottle of wine, etc.

Depending on the time of day, I may have my husband get donuts, muffins, cookies, or something similar to thank the nurses on shift when we deliver.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I've yet to be treated nicely while in the hospital with my babies. But if it's different this time I plan to have out local pastry shop deliver some fresh pastries. However if they're not being nice to me again I will not feel even slightly obligated to do anything. Having something come directly from a company and having them deliver it makes it for sure safe for them. Sad they even have to worry about that these days, but it's the sad world we live in. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I definitely do not think gifts for nurses are a requirement. They are doing their job.  I can understand if you have an outstanding nurse who goes above and beyond, etc, then maybe yes a small token.. but I do not think this is an expected thing. 
  • Options
    My neighbor did little gifts and thank you notes for all the nurses. I know they all appreciate thank you's and nice patients AND family members!

I will probably write a thank you note and then maybe get something special for my good friend who is an L&D nurse outside of that. 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    Kc0825Kc0825 member
    Thank you for all your thoughts and ideas. I really appreciate it!!  :)
  • Options
    I'm so discombobulated I don't think I can plan something out in advance (and knowing me, i'd be one short).  I think I'm planning to have a family member bring a dozen or so bagels and cream cheese for the staff. Not a gift, gift, but a way of saying thank you nonetheless.
  • Options
    I had a planned induction with #1 so I made some snack mix, kind of like chex mix but sweet, and left it at the nurses station.

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

• Options
    We had incredible nurses when I had DD, so my husband ordered a couple of pizzas and had them delivered to our floor on our last day there. We certainly didn't feel obligated to do anything, but we wanted to do something nice for them. 
  • Options
    I'll probably bring a couple dozen doughnuts from a local place that everyone loves.  I never did in the past, but I work the unit where I'll be delivering, and consider a lot of the staff as friends, so just to be sweet to them I think we will.. :)
  • Options
    blaf322blaf322 member
    edited July 2016
    We're planning to get $10 or $15 gas cards to give directly to any outstanding nurses ( that way if there aren't any, we'll just use them ourselves) and then if the staff as a whole is great, we'll get treats for the floor. That said, I read something written by a L&D nurse who said that that they get sweets all the time and that some healthier snacks would be nice because they're often trying to watch their weight like the rest of us.

ETA: I also really like the idea I'm reading here about writing a thank you note. It'll mean more.
  • Options
    von1976 said:
    @bnsmith85 I would suggest something non-monetary. It's against most hospital policies to accept anything of value, like a gift card, which is pretty much just cash. Something that either has very little value (something handmade, perhaps) or something that can be shared amongst the staff (like food) is better. 

As as a healthcare professional, I would feel very uncomfortable if I was offered a gift card, and I sure as heck wouldn't take it. I'd side eye the hell out of any nurse or tech that did, too. 
    This. I bought Starbucks cards for the nurses and was told they couldn't accept it. My Step Father ran across the street to Starbucks and used the gift cards and bought them all coffee instead (coffee traveler). They loved it and we're very thankful, and shared it with other staffers.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options
    When I had my daughter there was a bit of downtime because I was on the epidural and we were just waiting for my husband went to get munchkins, donuts and two of those Cup O' Joes for the nurses. They seemed to like it and everyone was eating from them. I always wondered if I should have done more for the main nurse who was really with me the entire time, specifically assigned to me. She did get some of the Dunkin Donuts but I always think I should have done something a little extra for her because she was great. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited July 2016
    These threads always annoy me.

Carry on.
  • Options
    JW- any particular reason why?

P.s. I don't watch the Kardashians but the things I have read that Kourtney and Scott have said make me laugh. And then to add to that I hate that their names are all spelled with a K. I feel like their mom was branding them before they were born. OR she's just really self absorbed because her name starts with a K so everyone's did. (Random comments about your gif over  :)
  • Options
    maf9866maf9866 member
    edited July 2016
    Fair enough! I think there is definitely something to your points. I feel the same way when I see teacher gifts (I work at a school but am not a teacher). I think it's a little crazy that people get their teachers gifts in the beginning, at Christmas and at the end of school. I think it's wonderful that teachers are appreciated, but like what you said: they are doing their jobs. I feel like giving gifts to teachers has become expected, so maybe that's where the nurse situation is going too... 

Edit: I just reread this and I want to clarify that I don't think all teachers expect gifts. I have meet a few who do, but I don't think they speak for everyone. But I do thinks parents feel the obligation to get the gifts regardless. 'Teacher' is automatically on my sisters Christmas gift list. 
  • Options
    kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited July 2016
    I think the best gift you can give your nurses is to be a decent patient. Yes, say "thank you" if you have a particularly great nurse, but just being a kind and courteous patient is probably the nicest thing you can do for them.

edit to add: I did write a little thank-you note to the nurse who was so supportive and did an awesome job during my delivery. However, I also had a nurse who was just awful to me and pushing her own agenda the whole time, so you bet I did not feel like offering a gift to the whole team.
  • Options
    kmvisioli said:
    I think the best gift you can give your nurses is to be a decent patient. Yes, say "thank you" if you have a particularly great nurse, but just being a kind and courteous patient is probably the nicest thing you can do for them.

edit to add: I did write a little thank-you note to the nurse who was so supportive and did an awesome job during my delivery. However, I also had a nurse who was just awful to me and pushing her own agenda the whole time, so you bet I did not feel like offering a gift to the whole team.
    nailed it
  • Options
    I am not organized enough to plan this shiz. So I'm going to try to keep notes if there is a particular nurse that stands out to me and make sure I have little thank-you cards I can leave or send later. Maybe send a birth announcement to the department with a note of appreciation. 

I teach college and I've only gotten one or two gifts over the years, things like Christmas cookies or a candy bar. I've also gotten a few nice notes saying how much a student enjoyed and benefited from my class - and honestly, the note means more, to me anyway.

• Options
    I never even thought of this last time. I honestly don't even remember the nurses names. I will want to remember to have a gift for my doula I think though
    ~Erin~ 
    proud pagan 

• Options
    It can be food or something like that. No money,gift cards, etc.
  • Options
    I will probably send my MW a thank you card after the fact, maybe a birth announcement. I know already that I will not be in any frame of mind to be lavishing gifts on my birth staff in the moment and the center only keeps you a few hours after the birth. 

SIDE RANT

The whole "be a good patient" thing rubs me the wrong way, too. You are not an inconvenience to them [the nurses]. You are the reason they have a job. They are there to work with you. I feel like so often people get caught up in doing what the nurse (or doctor for that matter) tells them that they forget to advocate for themselves and their wishes because they fear being labeled a "bad patient" and receiving inadequate/subpar care. Same idea for giving gifts in the hospital. As a healthcare worker, you are strictly warned about this because of the perceived impropriety of giving better/worse care because the patient got you something. 

• Options
    @turtlemomma I 100% agree that you should advocate for yourself, but there is definitely a courteous way to do that (just like in any other human interaction). I hope it didn't seem like I was suggesting anyone should just do whatever their nurse wants, regardless of how they feel about it.
  • Options
    kmvisioli said:
    @turtlemomma I 100% agree that you should advocate for yourself, but there is definitely a courteous way to do that (just like in any other human interaction). I hope it didn't seem like I was suggesting anyone should just do whatever their nurse wants, regardless of how they feel about it.
    Oh yeah, there is most definitely a difference between advocating for yourself and being a c*nt. I should have specified, too, lol. 

• Options

The whole "be a good patient" thing rubs me the wrong way, too. You are not an inconvenience to them [the nurses]. You are the reason they have a job. They are there to work with you. I feel like so often people get caught up in doing what the nurse (or doctor for that matter) tells them that they forget to advocate for themselves and their wishes because they fear being labeled a "bad patient" and receiving inadequate/subpar care. Same idea for giving gifts in the hospital. As a healthcare worker, you are strictly warned about this because of the perceived impropriety of giving better/worse care because the patient got you something. 
    I kind of look at it more like "hey, be a good person." Like, if you're a patient, try to be a good one. If you're a nurse, try not to be cunty either (as you noted above :)) And all that.