May 2016 Moms
Options

Exclusive pumpers unite!

2»

Re: Exclusive pumpers unite!

• Options
    I started EP after the first few days side LO had pretty bad jaundice and I was afraid he wasn't getting enough and I wanted to keep track. I just kept it up since it was easier. I pump and Feed him at the same time. I sit in the recliner with for stool up and put him on my legs propped up with a pillow under my knees. I don't have a hands free bra but my BF bras I can jerry-rig to be hands free. 

• Options
    kbrands7 said:
    jenl1681 said:
    Has anyone bought a manual pump for quick on the go pumping? I need a rec for one to bring on vacation to have in the car or for when we are on the beach maybe? LO is EBF, and I have a PIS for work, but I don't want to be lugging that around. Oh and not looking to spend a lot on it. 
    I use the Medela Harmony for on the go/ occassional pumping. Just like when I use my PIS though, I use a pumpin pals flange and duckbill valve. (Love the medela pumps, but I hate the membrane valve.)

Links for anyone interested:
    Pump: https://www.amazon.com/Medela-Harmony-Manual-Breast-Pump/dp/B0006HBS1M
    Flanges: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0085CBA90/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467739010&sr=8-1&keywords=pumpin+pals+flanges&pi=SY200_QL40
    Valves: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BYNFVDS/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1467739092&sr=8-2&keywords=duckbill+valve
    Pumpin Pals are the BEST! I have this board to thank for learning about them.

Thanks so much for the duckbill flange link! Definitely going to order some of those.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @okcountrygirl that's some mad coordination skills right there. I can barely hold baby while I'm pumping. I imagine if I tried to feed her, it would end in disaster.
  • Options
    jenl1681 said:
    Has anyone bought a manual pump for quick on the go pumping? I need a rec for one to bring on vacation to have in the car or for when we are on the beach maybe? LO is EBF, and I have a PIS for work, but I don't want to be lugging that around. Oh and not looking to spend a lot on it. 
    For the car you could always just bring your electric pump and get an adapter too.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that I'm not alone in EPing - sometimes it feels like it. LO had jaundice and latch issues, and this is just what worked best for us. Fortunately I have a pretty robust supply so I can pump 4x/day and have plenty to put in the freezer. Having trouble making it through the night without ending up soaked, though.

For pump parts in the fridge - I use a tupperware with a lid; that way it's sealed and the container is easy to clean.
  • Options
    Don't care what anyone says pumping at work will always be uncomfortable and Awkward. Sigh. 
  • Options
    Joining in on this, I'm pumping 6 times a day and breastfeeding 1-3 times a day. 

A few questions - first, are any of you dealing with red/sore nipples? I've been needing to set the intensity way down on the pump to get through it. It feels like it's cyclical for me... Super uncomfortable for a while and then better for a few days. What are you doing to prevent/combat this? I have been to a doctor and do not have thrush (allegedly). I am using a medela symphony and the tender care lanolin.

also, have any of you had success with pumpin pals? The one time I used them I ended up super engorged for the next session and completely freaked out (it took LO to clear it). I'm not sure if it is me, if I did something wrong. 
  • Options
    Love Pumpin Pals! No problems here... Maybe it's the positioning? Because of the way they angle down, I have to carefully place them with much more room above the nipple than below, rather than centered.
  • Options
    PYLWhammyPYLWhammy member
    edited July 2016
    I received my pumpin pals in the mail yesterday and I'm worried because my output has been a little lower. Maybe it's coincidence, but I'm not sure if I should keep trying or go back to my (uncomfortable, too small) Medela shields?