May 2016 Moms

Eye color changes

I don't think I've seen a thread about this. I know that eye color is usually set somewherr around 4-6 months, but can change still after that. Have you noticed changes in your LOs eye color? If you have other children, when did you notice the change to their real color?

DH has amazing green/blue eyes (he gets stopped in all kinds of places by people telling him his eyes are gorgeous) and I have hazel eyes. I have grandparents on each side with blue eyes, my mom has brown eyes and my dad hazel. So really, our little guy's eyes could turn out to be anything. He looks a lot like DH (same nose, chin), but ended up with more fair skin and hair like me. Here's his eyes (2 weeks ago and now, at 9.5 weeks)- I personally find they got lighter. DH went from being sure they'd turn out green (like his- he's really enjoying this whole having a mini-me thing) to thinking they'll end up hazel (with a semi-disappointed, asshole tone). Oh well, we don't have control over this! But just thought it'd be fun to get people's opinion and see what your LO's eyes are doing. 

Re: Eye color changes

• DS went from dark blue to light blue. This little one has dark blue and I'm sure will lighten up. DH and I both have blue so it's just a matter of shade here!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited July 2016
    DS1 went from gray/dark blue to a very light blue by the end of 3 months. They've more or less been the same color since (he's 2.2yrs old now). DS2 has gray eyes still. I have brown; DH has light green.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD#1 had brown from the get go. LO has had blue/grey at birth and they've seemed to lighten. Her dr seems to think they'll stay blue. I have brown, hubby has blue. He hopes blue stay. He says he thinks they're going to be brown. Everyone says he's crazy. Like brown is such a bad thing! lol I told him eye sight is more important. he has good eye sight, I don't. But I admit, I do love her blue eyes. I'm hoping they stay as well. 
  • clw617clw617 member
    DS1 had blue from the start and at age 3, they've stayed blue. I have blue eyes and MH has brown. DS2 has very dark blue eyes so far. I'd love for them to wind up brown. I love brown eyed boys. But DH carries the blue eyed gene from his mom so they'll probably stay blue too. Of course it's all good with me.
  • LO had darker blue at birth and they've lightened up a little bit since. DH has blue and I have green eyes so I'm really hoping that his eyes stay somewhere along those lines. DH said he hopes he has my eyes though. I have a tendency to randomly get stopped and told I have beautiful eyes... So it would be nice. :)
  • DS#1 eyes changed to brown at 4 months. 
  • My son will be 3 months on the 19th.  His are still the same blue color.  I'm assuming they are going to change bough because I have green eyes and my husband has brown 
  • LO had dark blue eyes at birth. They've now really lightened up and seem to be turning green. My hubs has green and I have light brown. My eye were still turning brown well after my 1st birthday. Here's to hoping she gets her daddy's eyes. I would be shocked if they stayed blue.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • DS has had dark grey eyes since birth. I can sometimes see blue or green in them but they haven't lightened yet at 7.5 weeks. DH has hazel and I have blue eyes. 
  • DD1's eyes starting lightening around 2 months to a bright blue, but they didn't stay the same shade until around 10 or 11 months. DH has bright blue eyes with a tiny yellow streak in the middle of the blue and DD1 has identical eyes. 
    DD2's eyes are starting to lighten up but I'm not sure where they'll end up. I have dark green/brown eyes but I hope her eyes turn out just like DD1's. They're beautiful and one of the things I first noticed about DH. 
  • LO had dark blue eyes at birth that almost looked brown but at seven weeks they have changed to a deep blue. DH has brown eyes and I have hazel eyes that have a mixture of blue,gold and brown
  • vulpinivulpini member
    edited July 2016
    DS1 started with the typical newborn dark blue/gray and then got light blue eyes like my husband's. They lightened obviously around 3 or 4 months, I think.  DS2 still has the newborn color.  Mine are some sort of heterozygous brown (brown eyed mom, hazel eyed dad, some blue eyed grandparents).  My husband's are blue. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @vulpini I'm a heterozygous brown too. Have you been met with surprise having a light-eyed child? Both of my parents are brown-eyed, all of my siblings, aunts, and uncles are brown-eyed, but I have grandparents and great-grandparents with blue. When my son ended up with clear blue eyes, most of my family was shocked that the gene had carried down to me and I've had many strangers not understand how it happened and inquire. It leads to me discussing how DH is light-eyed and how at least one of my parents must have been heterozygous too. It seems like a lot of people assume that if there is a brown-eyed parent, the children automatically have brown eyes.
  • @kbrands7: that's exactly what's happening with us too. Somehow in pictures, his eyes look really dark, so people expect he got my eyes, then get all surprised when they see him in person and realize he's got blue eyes. Both my parent are heterozygous, and my sister ended up having a very light blue eyed little girl (like her dad, my sister has green eyes, which almost look yellow at times, sort of like a cat). I was never able to find good genetic explanations for green or hazel eyes.
  • @KidShrink that's the green color my husband has-- that's a great description of it. I just can't believe how often I have to explain that it's possible! I haven't seen a good explanation of why green or blue beyond melanin amounts being predetermined.
  • slfezzslfezz member
    I have brown eyes but blue eyes run in my family. DH has blue eyes and so far it looks like all three kids with have blue eyes. 
  • kbrands7 said:
    @vulpini I'm a heterozygous brown too. Have you been met with surprise having a light-eyed child? Both of my parents are brown-eyed, all of my siblings, aunts, and uncles are brown-eyed, but I have grandparents and great-grandparents with blue. When my son ended up with clear blue eyes, most of my family was shocked that the gene had carried down to me and I've had many strangers not understand how it happened and inquire. It leads to me discussing how DH is light-eyed and how at least one of my parents must have been heterozygous too. It seems like a lot of people assume that if there is a brown-eyed parent, the children automatically have brown eyes.
    My dad has hazel eyes, which is a recessive eye color (sort of a variant of green eyes, if you really simplify the genetics). His dad had blue eyes.  So I knew I had to be a carrier of some light-eye color alleles that came from my dad and were masked by the brown from my mom.  Since my husband is blue-eyed (recessive to brown and to green, so homozygous) I knew we had a 25-50% chance of a child with blue eyes.  My son is nearly 3 and his eyes are starting to look more green from some angles, so they might still change to blue-green, green, or hazel. 

But yeah, people don't understand the concept of recessive alleles being masked by dominant ones and showing up in later generations (or maybe they just like to gossip at any opportunity).  I have darker hair than my son, which confuses people too.  Add to that the fact that lots of caucasian kids start out with lighter hair and/or eyes than they will eventually end up with because of how melanin develops, and it gets really confusing.  My husband was blond as a child and has brown hair now.  My mom went from blond and curly to dark brown wavy.  My hair was the same light ashy blnde-brown color as my son's is now and then changed to dark brown with red highlights in the sun.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I find the genetics of eye color so fascinating! Hair color too. My dad has brown and my mom has hazel eyes but mine are blue. H has brown eyes and generally darker coloring, although he was a blonde baby. So far our LO seems to take after me in terms of coloring with very fair skin, blue eyes, and light hair. She's actually a red head which was a big surprise and her eyebrows are white, white blonde. I'm so curious to see if and how she'll change! 

• I have one brown and one hazel eye, and DH's eyes are green. DS1 has brown eyes and they changed fairly early on from blue. DS2 has really blue eyes now at 2 months so I'll be interested to see how or if they change. My husband is super blonde and his entire family started with blonde hair that's turned brown as adults except for him. I was super blonde and I'm now dark blonde and my entire family has always had brown hair and eyes.  Both of our kids are little blondies. They look like twins as babies and just like my husband but my toddler is starting to resemble me more now. I don't mind that my boys look like their daddy, I think he's pretty handsome, but my toddler has my personality and mannerisms. I just have no clue where my random eyes came from!
  • Bltbear82 said:
    I have one brown and one hazel eye, and DH's eyes are green. DS1 has brown eyes and they changed fairly early on from blue. DS2 has really blue eyes now at 2 months so I'll be interested to see how or if they change. My husband is super blonde and his entire family started with blonde hair that's turned brown as adults except for him. I was super blonde and I'm now dark blonde and my entire family has always had brown hair and eyes.  Both of our kids are little blondies. They look like twins as babies and just like my husband but my toddler is starting to resemble me more now. I don't mind that my boys look like their daddy, I think he's pretty handsome, but my toddler has my personality and mannerisms. I just have no clue where my random eyes came from!
    I also have a brown eye and a hazel eye. Yay for genetic mutations!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @KidShrink, your LO's eye color is gorgeous!!

I have brown eyes and DH has blue with gold near the center. DH's whole family has blue eyes.
    DS1's eyes were a mystery to us until 15 months. His color kept changing. He finally settled on this gorgeous hazel color. I've not seen anything like it.
    DS2's eyes turned brown almost immediately by 3 mos and they just got deeper and are a dark brown now.
    DS3's eyes are starting to show some brown, yet they also have blue. I have no idea what they could be yet.
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• Thanks @Dantzscher32! I managed to find a pic where I could see DH's eyes and mine (inner is brown, with a darker green around). As you'll see from hair/eyes/skin color, our kids could have any kind of combination! 
  • Dark blue has turned a lighter blue. DH has hazel eyes and mine are blue. I think they'll look pretty either way. 

It's important to remember that multiple genes determine eye color. Despite what you may have been told in middle school science, people are not like Mendel's peas ;)
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• bkjadebkjade member
    Jet was born with dark blue eyes, and they have gotten lighter and are bright, light blue now. DH has hazel eyes and I have brown, so we assumed she would have brown eyes.

Both of my older daughters have blue eyes, one grey blue, and one bright turquoise, time will tell with this LO. 
  • mmemartinezmmemartinez member
    edited July 2016
    DS1 was a bright blue/gray early on and changed very slowly to brown. DS2 came out with super dark gray. They are looking more brown blue gray to me now. I have brown eyes and DH has very dark green/hazel. I see hints of hazel sometimes but I may be trying too hard. I think it would be awesome for him to have DH's eyes since DS1 is a little more like me in both features and personality. 
  • My eyes are light brown, and my husband's are crystal blue. I know that my husband and I have a 50/50 chance of blue-eyed children. My mother has blue eyes, and my first daughter has crystal blue eyes. I also know that eye color can change for quite a while in infants, but it's a fun guessing game :smile: !

It's so hard trying to capture eye color with a camera because babies don't like the sun shining in their eyes. Here is one picture of her (it doesn't fully capture the true color that we see), and the other picture shows the gradient that we see in her eyes (it's white-washed so it is much lighter than her actual color).

In person, her eyes look very gray (not blue) with a lighter inner circle. Sometimes her eyes appear to have a beige tinge, but our walls are tan so it's hard to tell :).

What do you guys think? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker