August 2016 Moms

What's in Your Hospital Bag?

13»

Re: What's in Your Hospital Bag?

• After taking our maternity tour, like other mamas have said, your hospital likely will provide a lot of things already--giant maxi pads, ice packs, baby onesies, diapers, nose sucker thing, etc. 

As a result, I packed fairly light for a FTM but then I re-read some of the posts here as a refresher and I was able to take out even more things I probably won't use. I packed 2 nursing tanks and 2 nursing bras. Why 2 of each? The overpacker in me compromised to minimize the items I'll bring but I've yet to work on the quantity of them, ha!
  • Loading the player...
  • Now that we talked about what goes in the bag, how man bags or what types of bags are you all bringing?

I was thinking a small carry on suitcase for the recovery part and a backpack for DH? 
  • I'm going to pack 3 small bags - one for laboring, one for recovery/daddy, diaper bag for baby (with space to bring home some goodies) 

1. Laboring: music, speakers, slippers, snacks, chapstick, hair ties, camera, Chargers - backpack style bag 
    2. Recovery: 2 nursing nightgowns, robe, face wash, soap, shampoo, breast friend pillow, makeup, comfy clothes for daddy, going home outfit for me, bath towel - weekender duffel type bag 
    3. Baby: 1 newborn going home outfit, 1 0-3 month outfit, Muslin blanket - diaper bag 

any other suggestions welcomed! 
  • Although I'm not packing it, my pillow and couch blankie will be going with me too. It's nice to have your own bed stuff while in the hospital. 
    @Mrsrundell... make sure you pack undies to wear home big enough for the enormous pad you'll also be sporting! Lol that was something I learned after kid 1. Although they gI've you the netting underwear, which were great for the hospital stay, I didn't trust them to stay in place when it was time to leave. They stretch out easily and became baggy after a little while
  • I'm going to second @Stephanie7693, those mesh underwear are great in the hospital, but they definitely didn't work once I was up and moving around. It was much better to have hipster/boy short undies that felt significantly more secure. 

• Yep @Bookhousegirl... I got some boys short ones that fit me good very pregnant. Should also be comfortable enough in those first few days.
  • Guys...I was at Walmart the other day trying to decide whether to get boy shorts or granny undies & I just couldn't figure out visually how I'd put giant maxi pads with wings on those boy shorts.

But then I totally see how it's doable now that I already bought those granny ones
    over boy shorts. What was I thinking?! Hope they're just as comfortable because I am too lazy to return them. :)

Also, I have two rather small bags packed: 

1. Weekender bag of toiletries, going home outfit for me, and DH's things so it's a combo of labor & post labor things.

2. Diaper bag that's half empty (planning to take whatever hospital lets us from our room for baby) besides baby's going home outfits (couple of newborn and 0-3 sizes).

Things we are bringing that are not in a bag: Pillows for us, a fleece blanket for DH, and a boppy pillow. These DH can bring post labor so we'll just leave them in the car.

I know some people bring suitcases but personally for me, I couldn't even fill one up thanks to this thread & mom's who have gone through this before. :)
  • @AliKay20 I did the granny underwear with my last kid. But in the last couple years the boyshorts have become my favorite period underwear. Both work well, as long as they fit! Remember to buy the size you can wear now, not a size you think you might be after baby. Trust me, no matter how tiny you are, you will not lose a pant size before you leave the hospital :) 
  • @terezakatarina I plan on bringing a small carry on type suitcase for myself and throwing a toothbrush in there for DH. I am really not expecting him to be able to spend the night with me or anything because he will probably have to spend the night at home with our daughter. We only live 5min from the hospital so we will end up playing it by ear
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • @AmandaG225 DH and I have been going back and forth about this as well. With DS he stayed both nights, but with this LO I'm not sure what is better. I know I would love for him to be there, but I feel like the more consistent we can keep things for DS those first few days the better. Anything helping you make your decision?! 

• @Bookhousegirl @AmandaG225 I couldn't imagine DH not staying the whole time with me! We are lucky though and have my parents who DD adores. She's staying with them while we are in the hospital. 

We know that it's not realistic for DD to spend much time with us at the hospital because she'll only be about 22 months so my mom is already planning on sticking as close to her normal schedule as possible. My sister is also a back up in case my mom needs any help. 

We are using the time in the hospital to bond with this new LO before we got home and bond as a family. This baby will never get the full time and attention that DD got so we really want to be able to at least have that time just DH, me and the new baby. I'm a RCS too so I'll need the extra help and I prefer DH rather than random nurses. 
  • Thank you everyone for your suggestions. We are packed and ready, but I am a little on the light side. I packed: going home clothes (baby and I), bathroom necessities, extra bags for any goodies and have a list of throw ins--charger and iPad. I thought about stuff to wear there, but I am hoping to be kicked out after less than a day so didn't really think it would be worth it. 
  • I'm having a heck of a time packing my bag.  We're going upstate next week, so a lot of the travel stuff that I'd need to bring with me is being packed for the vacation instead.  It's giving me anxiety....lol
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Katm89Katm89 member
    I do not have a bag packed and its driving me nuts. I keep wanting to wear the things I want to pack for the hospital... like these really comfy capri leggins I bought... I cannot keep them in my hospital bag...
  • Right now my hospital bag is empty.  That's on next weekend's to-do list. :)
  • same here! I don't think I'll pack it for at least another 2 weeks
  • @Bookhousegirl We are hoping that DH will be able to spend the night with me in the hospital but we just aren't sure how DD will do with grandma. She is fine with my mom during the day but I don't know how bedtime and overnight will go. DH will probably stay with me the first night and depending on how DD does that night will be the deciding factor for the rest of my hospital stay.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • karaszoo1karaszoo1 member
    edited July 2016
    @AmandaG225 we are having my husband go home to put our 23 mo old to bed then once he's down, he will  come to hospital for the nite with me n baby and gramma wll stay at the house overnite .our toddler goes to bed perfectly for us but gramma is a pushover and doenst follow our routine so to hopefully avoid issue that's how we are doing overnites lol prob helps hospital is like 10-15 mins away tho so may not work for everyone.
    @Bookhousegirl  we are also trying to keep our 23 mo old as close to normal schedule as poss. I don't want to be away from him (have only been away 1 nite his whole life) but don't wnat him bored to death at hospital either  plus we wnat to bond with new baby. What were we thinking have babies so close together lol that's what I keep asking my husband ....... 
    And I need to finish packing my hospital bag but I keep wanting to wear what I put in it lol atleast I have Toiletries and baby's bag packed lol edited because I can't keep my thoughts straight lol 
  • My DH just asked me last night if I have my hospital bag packed yet. I'm only 34 weeks, and I've started, but really only have a few things for me, my travel toiletries,  and a going home outfit for baby in there so far. He was like "really you could go at any time" even though our other 2 were within 1 day of their due dates. I still want to get a pair of comfy PJ'S that button in front for ease of nursing,  and the capris I want to wear home, I'm still wearing!  Silly men! They have no idea! 
  • I plan on starting to pack our bags after my appointment on Monday. I should get my date and time for CS so I think having that will really make things feel like they're really winding down. I'm almost positive that most of the things I want to take I also wear regularly so I would just be taking them in and out of the bag. 
  • ShanRum3 said:
    My DH just asked me last night if I have my hospital bag packed yet. I'm only 34 weeks, and I've started, but really only have a few things for me, my travel toiletries,  and a going home outfit for baby in there so far. He was like "really you could go at any time" even though our other 2 were within 1 day of their due dates. I still want to get a pair of comfy PJ'S that button in front for ease of nursing,  and the capris I want to wear home, I'm still wearing!  Silly men! They have no idea! 
    I washed my extremely comfortable nursing nightgown to pack in my bag yet it's hanging in my closet because I might want to wear it before go time. My only hesitation is if I wear it now, I need to wash it again LOL so basically I can't even decide. I'll either forget to pack it or shove it in my bag last minute when I could have packed it in advance. Ha!
  • I had started a list and bought some stuff.  I was officially put on bed rest yesterday for the remainder of the pregnancy for Pre-Eclampsia. I think I am going to go ahead and pack my bag today. I am 34 weeks and I know that pre-eclampsia can progress very quickly. 
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • Nothing, nada, zip, zilch!! I haven't started to pack for anyone. I know I should but if I wait maybe baby will stay put till term. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @karaszoo1, @AmandaG225, @Lynnlove28, we were originally planning on MIL staying with DS bit she's been getting crazy again - she has really poor boundaries - so that plan is changing. Maybe we'll do the one night with me and one night at home plan, that seems like a good compromise. 

• @karaszoo1, @AmandaG225, @Lynnlove28, we were originally planning on MIL staying with DS bit she's been getting crazy again - she has really poor boundaries - so that plan is changing. Maybe we'll do the one night with me and one night at home plan, that seems like a good compromise. 
    I think that sounds like a good compromise. We are lucky to have my parents because otherwise we wouldn't have anyone to watch DD. My inlaws have only seen DD a handful of times over the course of her short life so I couldn't trust them to watch her. 

Im not worrying too much about straying from her schedule because I know once LO comes home all bets are off for her schedule for a little bit. Also I'm hoping to readjust nap time and bed time a little bit once LO is home although I decided to start working on that today. 
  • I haven't packed yet-- I plan to pack around 36 weeks. 

In addition to a lot of the good suggestions here, bring a file folder or large manila envelope to the hospital for all of the paperwork they send you home with!  I didn't anticipate getting so many forms etc, and they were shoved in a bunch of random places when we got home.  A folder/envelope will keep them all flat and in one place. 

My list will include:
    - travel size toiletries, hairbrush, giant underwear and pads etc
    - CHAPSTICK: this is a must
    - lanolin for breastfeeding -- applying before and after feeding makes latching much more comfortable
    - my own pillow
    - a robe, nightgown that buttons down the front for breast-feeding and/or maternity pyjamas
    - comfy going home outfit
    - SNACKS: the food at my hospital was terrible and I was ravenous after giving birth
    - phone and charger
    - sandals/slippers for walking the halls (make sure you bring shoes that aren't too tight-- my feet swelled from all of the IV fluids they gave me and I only fit into those Adidas sandals where you can adjust the width with Velcro!)
    - a couple of outfits for baby, possibly cloth diapers and a wetbag etc. 

BFP #1: 08/17/2012  DD1 born 05/01/2013

BFP #2: 07/31/2015  M/C 09/23/2015 (11.5 weeks)

BFP #3: 12/16/2015 DD2 born 8/27/2016
  • Nikkoli98Nikkoli98 member
    edited July 2016
    I didn't pack my bag until after my water broke.  But I will share my experience. 

Compression stalkings.  I happened to be wearing a pair SIL got for me while at work.  I had very minimal swelling prior to delivery but after 16 hours of IV fluids,  my legs were very swollen. Everybody said it would last for weeks. My legs were the most painful thing at this point.  I wore them for 12 hours and was almost back to normal. 

Glad I had a robe and lots of tank tops that pull down easily for nursing and pumping.

Wish I had:

Ear plugs. Hospitals are noisy places to try and rest.

My own motrin for after discharge. 

Bella band for midsection support.

• smzappsmzapp member
    edited August 2016
    The hospital gives you most of what you will need (including underwear and socks) and people tend to over pack. All you need for baby is one going home outfit. They will give you everything for him/her. For you, two pairs of pj's that you can nurse in and any toiletries you need and a going home outfit (still maternity sized) Bring your nursing pillow and pregnancy wedge if you use one. Outfits your your partner, gum, cash, chap stick, phone charger and car seat. I take candy and blank thank you cards for the nurses and a birth plan printed out too.
    BabyFetus Ticker Pregnancy Ticker