May 2016 Moms
Options

Swimming

Are babies supposed to be a certain age to start swimming? Obviously gonna be a short dip so baby doesnt get too cold.
swim diapers smallest size is 14lbs :( 
Just wondering if there's a reason for this

Re: Swimming

• Options
    My pediatrician said if it's your own pool it's usually fine if the water is warm enough and it's no longer than 10 mins or so at a time. I think the concern is more for public pools and them not being cared for correctly. I know they sell cloth pool diapers on some websites. We got some and plan on having Corbin go swimming with us a little bit this weekend. :)
  • Options
    wsgjmw1wsgjmw1 member
    edited July 2016
    We are putting DS in my parents pool this weekend to splash around for a little bit. Pedi told us it was fine since it's our families pool - just not to have him in there too long and make sure he is never in direct sun. We also had issues finding small swim diapers so we just bought the smallest we could find which are the 14 lb ones, they will be a little big on DS but oh well.  We want our kid to grow up loving to swim/be in the water just like his mom and dad ! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bkjadebkjade member
    My pedi told me to wait until 2 months if we are doing a private pool, 6 months for a public pool. She said that those are just suggestions and to use my best judgement. Her concern about public pools were due to chemicals and the amount of people who use the pool (germs). I'll be taking Jet to a private saltwater pool when she's 2 months old. 
  • Options
    I wondered about this, too. Aria LOVES bath time, so I think she would like the pool. We were at our private neighborhood pool the other day (7wks pp) with some friends and made sure to keep her out of the sun the whole time--we just switched out who was holding her and who got to swim. I couldn't resist sitting on the pool step (shading her body with mine) and dipping her little feet in at one point. She semed to like it! I wished we had a little swim diaper so we could try wading with her. She's still only 11-12lbs, so I guess we'll wait a few more weeks before getting one.

Our friends gave us this cool little floaty thing for babies, but she has to be able to at least sit up to use it. Unfortunately it'll be winter by that time! :(
  • Options
    We've put her in my parents pool starting at four weeks. The first time we just dipped her toes and she wasn't a fan. Then at six weeks I put her to her chest and she loved it! We haven't been able to find swim diapers that fit her but have a reusable one that's a little big so we put that over her regular diaper and then just change her as soon as she's out
  • Options
    We found a swim diaper on Amazon that we are putting LO in. We have a pool in our backyard so we took her in that around 6 weeks. She got a bath afterwards and she was fine. She seemed to like it and I can't wait for her to get a little older so she can splash around a bit. She loves kicking her feet at bath time so I imagine she will love the pool.
  • Options
    Has anyone asked about going in the ocean? Water is about 85 degrees here! We took her in for a few minutes today and she loved it! 
  • Options

My 9 wk old has gone swimming twice this week and LOVED it!!! We just took him in a diaper and had him in for about 15 min
  • Options
    gampster said:
    Has anyone asked about going in the ocean? Water is about 85 degrees here! We took her in for a few minutes today and she loved it! 
    I can't imagine the ocean being 85 degrees! I'm up in Maine and it's only about 53 degrees, so needless to say we won't be bringing her in the ocean
  • Options
    We went swimming at almost 5 weeks with the mommy and me group from my church. It was at a private pool. He really liked it! The water was a good temp and didn't faze him a bit. We just used a regular diaper with swim trunks over them. Worked just fine.
  • Options
    I ended up putting him in the big bath and let him float. He kicked his legs like a froggy and loved it. My Bros pool is too cold I think. Don't want him to have a bad experience so I'll wait till the water warms up a bit more :)
  • Options
    st3llast3lla member
    Another option rather than a swim diaper is to use a cloth diaper cover without he insert. Serves the same function but available in all sizes.