February 2016 Moms

Letdown During Setup

So I've noticed that almost every time I start setting up my pumping gear at work I can feel letdown happening. I find it really annoying because it feels like milk is just being wasted because I'm not ready to collect it yet. I just always am thinking no no no no no! Wait one more minute you stupid boobs! Anyone else experiencing this?

Re: Letdown During Setup

• I haven't experienced it but you might consider milk savers. I only use them when I feed my LO in the morning because I'm so engorged but they collect a decent amount of milk. You could throw those in your bra before you start setting up your pump so it's not getting wasted. Your mind probably associates setting up the pump and a sign your milk needs to come down so it's just ahead of the game! Try to think about literally anything other than your or any other baby at that moment 
  • If you press on your nipples/breasts with firm pressure it prevents milk from actually coming out. I get let down on both breasts while nursing so I'm usually pressing on one. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Loading the player...
  • Yep, happens to me at work sometimes. I don't leak that much, so it's not a big deal, but still annoying sometimes! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes this happens to me Everytime! I find myself thinking the same thing.
  • It never occurred to me that women have both breasts out at the same time. I learned from the beginning that I will always have on a nursing bra with disposable pads and only open the side I'm offering to baby/pumping. Otherwise I'd be leaking all over everything. And forget it- if letdown occurred and any breast was uncovered, someone would be sprayed in the face. I used to have letdowns at random times and still do occasionally, so my breasts basically never see the light of day. The good news is that when they're snug as a bug in my bra with the pads, I don't think they really leak. Maybe bc of the pressure like PP said.

As for the poster's original dilemma, I usually just try for another letdown if I miss one. Maybe I letdown too easily but if LO pinches and tugs I'm likely to let down and if I get my nipple right in the very center of the pump so it's not really brushing up against any side, I'm also likely to letdown. My milk comes out pretty easily and forcefully even without letdown so I don't pay much attention to it when pumping cause I'll be done in 10 minutes regardless.
  • Thanks ladies! Fortunately I have a good supply so I'm still pumping plenty, it's just more annoying than anything. Also, I definitely wear nursing pads nonstop! The only time the girls are free these days is when I'm showering! If I'm nursing I keep the other side covered for sure. I've been trying to think about anything other than my baby/pumping until I'm ready to go, but my mind/body definitely knows what's coming when I start setting up. Oh well.
  • I threw all pride out the window long ago. When I'm home, I don't wear a bra, mostly because LO likes to rub her face right where the strap is and gets scratched/rubbed by the clip. I just wear a spaghetti strap so it's easier to whip it out, and all of them I own are covered in milk stains from leaking. They're at least 4-5 years old, so I'll just replace them when I'm done breastfeeding for good.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Same thing happens to me!