VBAC

VBAC success (and what worked for me!)

This board doesn't get a ton of traffic but I know I checked it out when I decided to try a VBAC.

1) get a supportive doctor who is 100% on board. If you can't find one be an advocate for yourself and find one who will at least allow you to try if they won't encourage it. My OB said he only wouldn't let me try if the incision was wrong or if there were complications.

2) get a doula. Ours was so good at coaching me to just stay strong and that prevented labor from stalling. I didn't take any meds and I didn't rest. I think that made a difference.

3) last time I was GBS+. To avoid being tethered to an IV I tried what was recommended - probiotic supplements, garlic supplements and a yogurt every day. Was negative this time - of course this could be coincidence but it didn't hurt to do any of those things!

4) last time my water broke and I had trouble progressing. To avoid water breakage I ate lots of eggs and took a vitamin c tablet. I also followed the advice of eating dates to encourage dialation and in labor I went from 1 cm to 7 cm in about two hours. Water broke once I got to 7 cm.

I also got lucky with a very supportive hospital- unless you have pre-eclampsia or the wrong incision you should go for it!!

Re: VBAC success (and what worked for me!)

• I am like the only person on this forum, lol.What was your first reason for CS? I am only 7 months PP but am doing my reason now for baby #2, though I will wait...btw, how long did you wait between pregnancies and we're you given a deadline for when you had to go into labor spontaneously?
  • Congrats BTW!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! Last time was fetal distress combined with failure to progress. Things moved really slowly and then his heart rate kept fluctuating. DS1 is four now. Doc said he'd let me go to 42 weeks if all looked good.
  • Same here..and m doc discouraged me saying it could just happen again. Did you get an epidural? I am thinking about skipping that so that I can move around more this time. 
  • Congratulations! I am due on 6/23 with my 3rd child, and hoping for my 2nd successful VBAC. Glad it went so well for you!

• mmemartinezmmemartinez member
    edited May 2016
    Same here..and m doc discouraged me saying it could just happen again. Did you get an epidural? I am thinking about skipping that so that I can move around more this time. 
    I skipped the epidural because I felt like I needed to move more than I was able last time. That's why the doula was so so key. She really helped get me (and DH) through the pain and keep me moving. By the time I started to slightly regret my choice because of the pain we were too far in anyway to get one! But I think being able to move makes a huge difference. My hospital had mobile telemetry as well since VBACs have to be constantly monitored.  However we also did a lot of things (using the birth ball for example) that could be done even if attached to the room unit. HTH!!
  • I am like the only person on this forum, lol.What was your first reason for CS? I am only 7 months PP but am doing my reason now for baby #2, though I will wait...btw, how long did you wait between pregnancies and we're you given a deadline for when you had to go into labor spontaneously?
    Also 7m pp and getting all my research in!  When are you hoping to get pregnant with baby #2?  
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• I am going to try after DD turns 2. That seems like plenty of time.
  • I didn't know about the eggs not helping water break.  Def going to try this with this pregnancy.  I really don't want my water to break first this time.  Thanks for the tips.  
  • I'm hoping to have a VBAC for my 3rd baby. My 1st was natural, my 2nd was c-section. I have my 1st appt with my dr on July 13th, so we will see if I'll be able to. Fingers crossed!