February 2016 Moms

Teething and eating habits

Hi! Caroline is 4 months old and doc said she is teething. I'm a FTM and not really sure what normal teething behavior is. Do teething babies eat less during this time? She usually eats for about 15 minutes total but yesterday and this morning it's been 7-8 minutes before she pulls off crying each time. It also doesn't feel like she's actually emptying the breast either. What are yalls experience with this?

Re: Teething and eating habits

• smn14smn14 member
    Hi, FTM too and am experiencing same problem. LO is feeding less - sometime refusing to feed or crying when I try to feed her. Then I suffer at night cos she feels hungry! I'm going to go and ask the advice of the health visitor next week. Pretty sure she is teething - grumpy, chewing everything, dribbling more, gums feel different 
  • Mine actually cut her first tooth this week and her eating habits have been off for the past week. Woke me up every hour and half from 12:30 am...drooling everywhere...puts everything in her mouth...and periodic shrieking. I didnt realize she had a tooth on the way but the past couple weeks has been drooling alot and a little fussier.
  • Loading the player...
  • jarob747jarob747 member
    edited June 2016
    My DS has been off on his eating as well. Still is. I know he's teething, but none yet. He acts hungry, but won't hardly nurse sometimes. Just takes a drink, shrieks, fusses and turns away but then comes back for more. Sure wish these teeth would come in already
  • I can't remember where I read it but it said that it can be painful to eat while they're eating. And if you are BF, you can massage the breast before to help stimulate a letdown so their little gums don't have to work so hard. I've tried it a few times and it seems to help. 
  • I can't remember where I read it but it said that it can be painful to eat while they're eating. And if you are BF, you can massage the breast before to help stimulate a letdown so their little gums don't have to work so hard. I've tried it a few times and it seems to help. 
    Hmmm interesting, I'll try it
  • I've read the same!I know my lil man nurses better when my boobs aren't so full.He likes to just hold my nipple in his mouth as well,the warmth seems to help.Ive tried cold teethers but he HATES them.