1st Trimester

Spotting and ultrasound at 5 weeks?

I miscarried my first at 8 weeks, so when I found out I was pregnant they brought me in right away for blood work. My blood work at what should have been 4 weeks was 67 and 4 weeks and three days was 95. They said those are good target numbers, but that I could be earlier than expected. So I went about my life, trying to rest and stay calm but had minor (5 minute) cramping Saturday and Sunday. I laid low yesterday, but started having spotting today. They brought me in for an early ultrasound and really didn't see anything. They said that is not necessarily a bad sign and made me do blood work. Now I'm freaking out and don't get my results until tomorrow. I feel like my dates can't be off because we did not TTC after a certain date... Anyone have this experience?

Re: Spotting and ultrasound at 5 weeks?

• I'm sorry you're going through uncertainty. Being PGAL really messes with your head. I have been in your shoes. **TW** I lost my first pregnancy very early on so when I got pregnant again, I was very anxious. They didn't bring me in for betas originally but when I had some brownish spotting at 5 weeks, they did a beta draw and then gave me a requisition for an early US. I opted to wait another week or so to go in for the US because at 5 weeks, it's likely there is nothing to see yet. If you don't know exactly when you ovulated, it is possible you ovulated later than you think or implanted late which would mean you aren't quite as far along as you think. What I know of betas is that they are supposed to roughly double every 48ish hours early on. I hope everything works out for you! Hang in there!

Me: 32 & DH: 37
    Married: November 2014
    TTC #1 Since: October 2015
    BFP #1: 11/18/15 - CP
    BFP #2: 2/8/16 - EDD 10/20/16
    IT'S A BOY!!!!
    DS Born 10/16/16

• TW - loss mentioned

Betas should double in 48-72 hours or less early in pregnancy, and yours have a doubling time of about 143 hours, which could be concerning. I had a similar experience with my first pregnancy, where I was spotting frequently, my betas were not doubling appropriately and an early ultrasound only showed a sac. Development continued up until somewhere in the 6 week mark and I miscarried that pregnancy at 7 weeks. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do but wait and hope for the best, non-doubling HCG isn't ideal but it isn't 100% negative either. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I think beta numbers cause more stress than anything, as low numbers and numbers that don't double aren't always a bad sign. However, doctors like to see them doubling at least every few days. As for the ultrasound, I had my first at 6 weeks and there was still barely anything to see then as baby was about the size of a grain of rice. As early as you are, it's doubtful they'd be able to see anything, so that's not worrisome in and of itself I don't think. Good luck. *Hugs*

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015