January 2016 Moms
Options

My 20 week old suddenly wakes up screaming!

This has been going on the past few weeks. I put him down around 7-730 and he sleeps hard for awhile and then all of a sudden wakes up and does the whole inconsolable cry thing. He doesn't want his pacifier and occasionally I'll make a small bottle and he's a hit or miss with it (he stopped night feedings awhile ago). I'm at an exhausted loss. I just let him cry while I hold and soothe him and eventually passed out. Please any advice would be much appreciated. 

Re: My 20 week old suddenly wakes up screaming!

• Options
    Could it possibly be gas or teething? My LO does that sometimes and it's usually gas. I give him gas drops and it helps a lot !
  • Options
    My LO wakes up crying hysterically almost everytime she wakes up, nap or nighttime. I'm at wits end too! It's the saddest thing to witness 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    nackienackie member
    Same thing here.  I had figured it was because he's teething, but he still does it even after he's had Tylenol.  Poor little guy.
  • Options
    Mine doesn't do that every night but she does it. Usually I give her gripe water because I think its gas. Other times I think shes startin to realize that we can leave and gets freaked out if were there when she goes to sleep (sadly she still gets rocked a bit) and when she wakes and we arent there she gets freaked out. 
  • Options
    Definitely not gas, the doctor said she didn't think he was starting to teeth but it could be just around the corner so maybe? I'm hoping this isn't a regression type of thing :(
  • Options
    My LO does this occasionally too. She recently cut 2 teeth, but I'm not sure if that was even it. I really don't think it's gas. I feel like they are still learning to sleep/ figure out the whole sleep cycle transition thing at this point, so, it's probably just that. Maybe a bad dream. It sucks though because the cry is like a terrified cry and makes me so sad to hear! I just hold her, nurse her, or rock her through it- whatever I feel like she needs until she calms down.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Sometimes I have noticed with my current LO and when my other two were babies (when I could find nothing else wrong like teething etc) that they would cry like that when they we "gaining new awareness" of the world around them. It's like they realize new things and have new thoughts and sometimes it's scary. I'm no baby mind reader  ;) that's just what it SEEMS like to me. I usually give extra cuddling and love and try to ride it out when that happens. 
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! It happened again last night sighhhhhhhh  :/
  • Options
    My LO does this too. Actually, just got her to sleep from doing this tonight. She took a nap with me, then woke up crying inconsolably. Took me over an hour to get her calm and asleep. It breaks my heart :( 
  • Options
    lrayaslrayas member
    I've had a great sleeper pretty much this whole time and this just happened less than an hour ago. Freaked me out! I gave her a small bottle and after some tossing and turning she is finally starting to go back to sleep. Poor babies!!! 
  • Options
    This happens to me this morning before dawn. My sleepy head doesn't usually wak up until 8:30. So, scary I thought something had bit him. Just I nightmare I guess. It was so pitiful.