Baby Names

Are three names too many?

Just out of curiosity, do you think three names are too many? Is it best to stick to just two or do you think it matters? 

Re: Are three names too many?

• Nat009Nat009 member
    I personally like two middle names! My daughter has two. I think the key is that each name should be short. All three of hers are two syllables and they go well together. Second middle name is a family name. 
  • edited June 2016
    It depends on the name. Some flow alright,  others don't. 

In general I err on the side of it being more hassle then it's worth.
  • Loading the player...
  • I like one middle name only so that she has an option to make her maiden name a middle name later when she gets married.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • I think it can get to be a mouthful, but whether it's too many or too much depends on WHY you're choosing three IMHO. If you have 3 family members (or friends) you want to honor and don't know if you will have another chance to do it, go for it! If you think 3 names are just so cute that you can't narrow it down to 2... that may not be a great reason. 
  • I now have 2 middles (middle and maiden) and it can be a pain for a few things where they just want a middle initial, or if you want to get something monogrammed there's not as many options for 4 letters.
  • Those are good points - especially coming from someone with first hand experience. Who would have thought about monogramming??? 
  • I really don't care for it unless there is a good reason like a strong urge to honor multiple people and/or it's your last child. To me, it just seems like the parents couldn't make a decision so used all of them. Also, middle names are rarely useful in the first place, so to have two just seems like too much. I wouldn't side eye though.
  • I like two middle names, especially if the 2nd is honoring family. I know as a kid I was super jealous of people who had two middle names. Not a very practical opinion maybe, but if you like it do it. 
    Me: 29, DH: 32
    Married: July 22, 2008
    Fur babies: Phoenix and Yeti (both cats). 
    TTC#1 since: May 2015
    September 2016- Infertility Testing
    dx: Low Progesterone, Vitamin D Deficiency, Borderline PCOS
    Treatment: 
    October 2016-January 2017- Metformin, Clomid/Letrozole, hcg trigger, progesterone
    IUI- 2/17/2017 BFP 3/2/2017! 

• All very good points, ladies. Thank you for your feedback. 
  • I have 2 middle names (the second is my moms maiden name).  I can't imagine it any other way but it is a hassle.  I won't be giving my child 2 middle names.
  • Vivi20Vivi20 member
    I don't think three is too many. My daughter has two middle names.
    BabyFetus Ticker

SaveSave
  • I would not give a child two middle names unless there's a compelling reason to do so.  The future hassle for your child of handling a double middle name on legal documents has to be considered.  I know a person who has a first, 2 middles and a hyphenated last name.  She goes by one of the middle names.  Her mom thought this was cute and fun, but it was a logistical nightmare for her as an adult professional.  When she got married, she could not wait to change to her husband's last name and drop the extra middle name. 
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Really great points brought up by everyone, both in favour of, and against two middle names. Thanks for your feedback, ladies! I really appreciate it. :smile: