September 2016 Moms

Exercise & Healthy Eating....help needed

erinmarie86erinmarie86 member
edited June 2016 in September 2016 Moms
Alright, so i know it's a touchy subject....Pregnancy Weight....but i'm not asking anyone to share how much they have gained or not...i'm just here to share my situation, and hopefully get some helpful tips.  I'm 29 weeks and I've gained 31lbs! I'm 10lbs shy of being what i was when i gave birth with my son (at about 37 weeks)...but at this rate i'm going to be surpassing that weight by my next appointment.  I should mention, that my Doctor has NEVER once said a single thing about my weight gain, so i assume she doesn't see it as a concern...but i see it as a concern.

I know that i've been eating terrible...and i'm not walking like i did with my son.  So i need some help.
  1. What do you do for exercise?  I'm hoping to find something I can do in my house once my son goes to sleep.  Walking is really only an option on the weekends, and i'm trying to do that, but with the heat...man it's rough!
  2. What are you eating??  I can't stand the vegetables my husband makes every night.  So to be honest i haven't had a lot of veggies this pregnancy, which i know is terrible.  So do you have any good recipes that make veggies taste yummy, but still keeping them healthy (i.e. not just dousing them in cheese goodness sauce??)--it would also be nice if the recipes were simple and quick
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Exercise & Healthy Eating....help needed

• I try to go on 2 short walks a day (about 10 minutes each). at night I try to do squats and small weight exercises while I watch tv. For food I try to eat smaller meals. I keep lighter snacks prepped and ready. Right now that is raw carrots, watermelon, cantaloupe, and some pretzels. 

Also how do you weigh yourself, sometimes we just have bad days. I also think many woman gain faster the 2nd time around. Don't sweat it too much!!!
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• ElcaBElcaB member
    Don't be hard on yourself. 

Walking is great. Try going early in the morning if your schedule allows to combat the heat. I've been kayaking as much as possible, but I realize not everyone has a lake and a dock in their backyards! But, if you have an option nearby, try it on weekends! The hardest part is getting back out once you're in. 

If you're having trouble with veggies, try making some rice or quinoa bowls! They're so easy to make & you can easily customize them to your tastes. Here's one of my favorites --- I love lemon-tahini dressing! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Let me clarify that I'm 29 weeks and have gained 25lbs, so not sure if you want to take my advice as I'm in a very similar boat to you already.. but I had gained 20lbs at 20 weeks and feel like I've gained better control over the past couple months...
    1. What do you do for exercise?  I walk while at work. I rarely have time to walk when I'm home, so I eat my lunch at my desk and use my lunch break to take a couple laps outside of the building. I also do some exercises in my living room, moreso on nights that I don't have a lot of steps on my fitbit. Something like a 30 day squat challenge from Pinterest or the like is a really good start. I also use a few pregnancy exercise sessions that are only maybe 10 minutes.. but it's better than nothing.  Here's one: https://www.fittinpretty.com/at-home-full-body-prenatal-workout/
    2. What are you eating??  For vegetables - I really love roasted brussel sprouts or broccoli  - using some minced garlic, balsamic vinegar and a bit of brown sugar then just roast like crazy (broil at 400 for 20 minutes?) until crunchy.  Also loving kabob veggies on these hot days - zucchini, summer squash, onions, peppers and baby bella mushrooms on skewers with some olive oil and garlic pepper or other basic seasoning (could even do a marinade) with a good little char from the grill. Yum!  I try to focus on eating 3 healthy meals each day, then I let myself snack in between, but snacks are usually pretty small since I fill up during meals.  We use cauliflower in a few different ways (buffalo cauliflower similar to hot wings, in lieu of rice in a veggie fried rice.. but these meals do take a BIT more prep time.. both can be found on Pinterest).  Since I'm a vegetarian we do a lot of veggie substitutes.
    For what it's worth, last pregnancy and this one, I've gained steadily throughout the entire pregnancy, was almost always the same weight gain as I was weeks (starting around 20 weeks). Finished last pregnancy about 40lbs up and this one will be around 35-40 pounds up. Doesn't sound like you're out of control by any means but a little extra activity/healthier eating doesn't hurt!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kosmo86 thanks...maybe i will try for at least a short walk.  On the weekends i try for a 2-3 mile walk (which is what i was doing every day the first pregnancy) and maybe i just need to set smaller goals because at least walking 10-15 min is better than not walking at all.  I don't weight myself between doc visits.  So this was just what the scale at the doc office said this morning at my appointment.  But overall i have just been feeling fat and lazy this pregnancy because i know i was better the first time around.  It's just hard to get motivated to do much after a full day of work and spending time with my son.  I just want to crash on the sofa after dinner :-/

@ElcaB I actually do live near a lake.  It's what i walk around on the weekends.  They have some boat rentals, i'll have to see if they have kayaks.  I know they have stand up paddle boards which would probably be a good option too.   thanks for the recipe! i'll have to try it out. I've really been enjoying cooking/baking on the weekends (though i bake pies or cakes...there's the problem!) i'll have to try this out over the weekend because it looks very appealing! And maybe i can get all the pieces prepared and easily assemble during the week.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Do you have pets? My dogs have been great motivators for me to get my booty out the door for a walk - even if it's just 10 minutes! 

As far as food I don't limit myself at all...I probably honestly eat ice cream 4-5 nights a week which seems like a lot, BUT I only end up eating about 7-8 spoonfuls and then I'm pretty over it...I think if I limited myself to my cravings to one or two nights a week I'd go crazy those nights and end up eating WAY more.
  • @AnnaS930 oh! that work out looks do-able! thank you!  I do like some roasted brussel sprouts...i guess maybe it's just figuring out what veggies don't sound disgusting and loading up on those.

@Sbrown721 i do have pets...2 dogs.  But my husband usually runs with them in the morning so they are pretty beat in the evening.  I do like your point of indulging in your cravings but in moderation...i probably go a little over the top and could try smaller portions of dessert 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @erinmarie86 If your dogs are anything like mine they will gladly take a second walk!
  • Truthfully I never pay attention to the weight at the doctors. Depending on the time of day and what you are wearing  (also if you have pooped!!!) you could easily see a 3-5lb difference. Weight can fluctuate a lot!! I weigh myself naked in the morning and at night (at night is just fun and I don't count it)  Last night there was a 3.5 difference in weight from that morning but today I woke up the same. 

**disclaimer: probably not recommended to weigh yourself daily!!!! It can drive people crazy. I have been doing it for 4 years and I am used to it.
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• I go for a 30 minute walk every morning. As silly as it sounds, I have done jogging in place in my living room for 30 minutes and it still feels like a pretty good work out. 

As far as eating goes, I'm trying hard. I do egg sandwiches in the morning with chocolate milk, I try to do a lean meat with a small carb side and a spinach salad at lunch, and then dinner is where I kind of let loose and have whatever. Some good snacks I've been having are almonds, Greek yogurt with fruit/granola, baby carrots, string cheese. One way you can try for more veggies is to cook in a stir fry with olive oil and add a stir fry sauce. For salads, I add craisins to try to sweeten up the taste a bit. Baby carrots make a tasty snack like I mentioned, and just 1 cup is two veggie servings. Of course, you can always try the V8 blended juices for veggie servings too

hope that can help 
  • @Thscary oh good to know that 1 cup of carrots is 2 servings...i feel like i could easily add that (back) into my diet!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I try to go for an hour walk at least three times a week. I also purchased a yoga add-on subscription to my Amazon prime membership. There are 4-5 good prenatal yoga sessions with varying levels of intensity.  I also know that cleaning house burns calories so I have been trying to get mini work outs in sweeping, vacuuming, etc. 

I am trying to keep healthy snacks on hand. Watermelon has been my go to lately.  Cold apples and peanut butter are also so good in the heat. Cashews. Craisins. For veggies, we just started a CSA program for the summer so I have an insane amount of greens that I am getting every week. We are eating greens with every meal just so we don't waste it all.  

I also find that when I am diligent with my water intake, i do less mindless snacking.  
  • @ivassaq If you don't mind me asking, how much is it to add the yoga subscription to your prime membership?  I currently have prime, and did look to see if there were any good yoga videos but couldn't find anything

BabyFruit Ticker
  • miam4miam4 member
    With DD i was all about sugar. I wanted it so bad, that i made it "a need". I had gestational diabetes. This time I promised myself that i would control myself. It is not only about "what you eat", but also "what you eat". I am not a pro in diet and I hate exercise! So, what I do:
    I love rice! But in my house I only cook brown rice or quinoa.
    Bread - we try to get mainly whole wheat bread.
    Pasta - whole wheat pasta.
    When I want something sweet, i eat what I want, but not all the time and not big amount. Usually I try to change sweets for fruits.
    I love grains: beans, lentils,...
    I avoid mainly the food that comes in cans and frozen ones because of preservatives.
    Do you like documentaries? If you do, I watch on netflix "the kids menu" and "Sugar coated". They are nice ways to see food with other eyes. ;) Now I read the labels on food... and they are not good.
    oh, and when I park anywhere, I try to get the parking spot that is far so I need to walk more.
    Again: I am not great on dieting and i do not exercise, I just do little things that I know help me out.
    Wishing you the best <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ab920ab920 member
    What do you do for exercise? My husband and I go for hour-long walks 4-5 times a week. We also play tennis for 2-3 hours on Sundays...a tradition of sorts. :smile:

What are you eating? For breakfast, I switch between almond protein crunch cereal and scrambled eggs with turkey bacon. For lunch, I generally eat salads or some kind of chicken meal. For dinner, grilled chicken or fish with veggies. HOWEVER, I eat sweets like nobody's business (just failed my one-hour glucose test with a 142) so I guess I have to give those up.  :'( 
  • @erinmarie86 I think it was $10 a month and you can cancel any time. 
  • I was diagnosed GD early on in this pregnancy, and have been following a strict diet since. It's kind of a blessing in disguise. I'm 28 weeks and have gained 9 lbs. This is my second pregnancy, and my second pregnancy with GD. When you are told you have to eat healthy for the well being of your baby, it's way easier to adhere.

I have a cup of all bran cereal in the morning and some turkey bacon. Or sometimes I'll have an omelet and turkey bacon. Protein is way important to keep me full. I eat kind bars, yo baby, or fruit for a snack. Lunch is typically fried ham cold cuts and Swiss with mustard on rye, or a salad with grilled chicken. I find that I can eat a lot of gluttonous things (like chicken avocado bacon ranch) if it's on a whole wheat wrap. That way I'm getting the calories I need without empty carbs. I have another snack, and for dinner I just don't eat carb heavy... Steak, pork, chicken, or fish with a lot of vegetable. I always end my day with a small bowl of vanilla ice cream with melted peanut butter. 

I walk every other day. If it's too hot, I go at sunset. I live in the NE though, so it's not like I'm in Phoenix. I have some pregnancy DVDs that I get around to and they are split by trimester... Each workout (yoga, cardio, or toning) is less than 20 minutes and if I'm feeling blah, I just do the yoga. As difficult as it can be to motivate myself to get moving, I feel soooooo much better when I do.

Hope that helps.  Best of luck. 
  • Veggie ideas:

- try roasting asparagus in the oven with a little olive oil and salt and pepper or you can do stovetop with the same additions. I do them until they are browned and not hard anymore. 

- try steaming some green beans and on the side put a tablespoon of butter in a small sautée pan and when melted toss in a few chopped almonds. Once they are browned take them off and mix in with the green beans. Mmm!

- try roasting some zucchini in the oven. Cut in long thin strips or round medallions and marinate with a little oil or balsamic and salt and pepper. Cook until browned. 

- try roasting Brussels sprouts in the oven. Clean them off and cut the end off then cut in half. Keep the little bits that fall off. Put everything in a bowl and mix in some olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until browned. They get crispy and yummy!

- I agree that skewers are great. What about a stuffed portabella mushroom? Clean out the fins bake or grill the mushroom with a little vegetable oil cup side down, once cooked partially turn over and add in filling. (We do cooked sausage broken up with peppers and onions, bread crumbs and a little cheese. I like to add tomatoes as well tho hubby doesn't like them!)

We also do large salads a few times a week. We do them for lunch and sometimes add a hard boiled egg. For dinner we add grilled shrimp. Mmm!

I am slacking on exercise myself so I can't help there. I should get out walking more often. We've just been busy. But no excuses - I just have to do it. 
  • I workout every other day doing prenatal workouts from beachbody on demand. It has been a life saver. I also walk the dogs every day for 15-25 mins a day. Plus I'm on my feet a lot with my job. Food is hit or miss with me. Some days I eat great some days not so much but I try no to beat myself up about it.  I would try to incorporate walks and try to slowly eat better. Trying to do it all at once can be a bit taxing. I lost over 60lbs before getting pregnant and small changes at a steady pace is what did it for me plus working out.
  • I swim laps at the YMCA. Low impact and they have childcare! I also walk, elliptical, and strength train when I can.  Look up body weight exercises! There's a lot of stuff you can do at home, even between commercial breaks! Try to reduce your carbohydrate intake if you eat a lot of carbs.  Check out the vegetti too! There's a bunch of fun "doodle" recipes!
  • ashtasht member
    Most importantly if you haven't been doing this stuff from the start be careful adding it in now as it can actually be more harmful then good. 

I I actually love grilled veggies and potatoes. Potatoes are not the healthiest but they were recommended to help reduce Charlie horses.
  • @abyrd1227 my exercise this go around is sadly pretty much non-existent.  I was doing yoga occasionally on Sunday mornings.  I'm not trying to walk around the lake on the weekends (about 2-3 miles).  But i certainly don't do much more than getting up off the sofa during the week.  As far as food goes, breakfast is usually peanut butter toast sometimes with an egg or 2.  Then i have a morning snack of a homemade blueberry banana muffin (ok sometimes 2...but i swear they are small)...lunch is hit or miss...sometimes i bring my lunch sometimes i go out with my team...dinners are usually pretty good because my husband cooks...but i don't eat the veggies :-/

BabyFruit Ticker
  • RG1RG1 member
    My dog has been a life saver for me. She's a husky so she needs lots of long walks. I take her for at least an hour every day. I know I wouldn't be active in pregnancy if I didn't have her. So my advice would be to get a husky, although I know that's unreasonable, haha. But even getting in a 15-20 min walk a day like PPs have suggested with the dogs would help! I'm not eating the greatest so no advice on that front. I'm an oreo queen 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Do you have access to a pool? I swim as my excercise just because it is so hot here in Texas right now. If I am up for it I will take my two dogs for a walk in the evening when the sun goes down. I also do prenatal yoga a couple times a week but when I'm feeling achy will do it while the girls are asleep. 

I can't really offer too much support for the healthy eating part, just because I tend to make just okay decisions. I love bread and any carbs. But I do have a favorite go to salad. It's a strawberry spinach salad, so quick and easy to make 

spinach 
    sliced strawberries 
    goat cheese crumbles (I just put a little and make sure it's pasteurized)
    chicken (grilled or can just use some from rotisserie chicken) 
    blush or strawberry vinaigrette or even balsamic works. It's really tasty!! 

If you have made pretty good decisions that day you can also add crumbled bacon. I do that when I make this for dinner. 

But as long as your doctor doesn't think your weight gain is an issue, I think you'll be okay. I know it's hard to come to terms with all this extra weight we carry around but I like to stay positive and think it will fall off eventually haha 

DD #1 3/26/13
    Mo/Mo twins MMC 3/31/14  o:)
    DD #2 3/31/15
    DD #3 8/25/16
  • I can't help you on the exercise thing since I haven't don't any sort of "organized" activity since getting pregnant.  Besides working all day and chasing after two kids at home (which are both exhausting by themselves), I don't do much.

My meals have also been lacking.  I love fruits and veggies, but getting protein has been a problem for me.  I could eat carbs all the time, but have been pretty good about keeping my distance from the bagels and sandwiches.  I'll usually have a bowl of shredded wheat or something else fiberous in the morning and a protein shake then will nibble on fruits during the day.  I usually don't eat dinner as I just have no appetite.  It's not the best way to go about it, but I just can't force myself to eat when I'm not feeling it.

I will say though, as an alternative to ice cream, my Yonana maker is AMAZING!  You make your own "ice cream" but it takes only frozen fruit.  You start with a banana, add whatever frozen fruit you want in the middle, and end with a banana.  It's creamy like ice cream and you can add some mini chocolate chips or caramel drizzle on top so you get extra sweetness if that's what you're craving.  A lifesaver, especially in the summer!

https://www.amazon.com/Yonanas-Frozen-Healthy-Dessert-Maker/dp/B005083ECS

• That yonana maker sounds amazing @Tippy05 I am obsessed with all things cold right now. Sugar free Popsicles and Italian ice are life. Ha
  • @Tippy05 - My husband bought me a Yonana maker for Christmas a few years ago.. and I've used it maybe twice. I should really dig it out, that's a great idea since I love having some ice cream in the evening. I love putting some peanut butter in. yum!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you ladies for all the advice and tips...i'm going to try and just walk a little bit each day.  Swimming sounds wonderful but unfortunately access to a pool is not something i can easily get.

I'm trying to eat better...so i think at least being aware and trying to make smarter decisions should help.  However i'm sure all my better choices will go to hell this weekend (4th of July and my Birthday weekend).

But i'm also going to try and not let this weight get to me.  I did loose the weight relatively easily and quickly after my son was born, and really hope i can do the same this go around!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Happy early birthday @erinmarie86 :)
  • What about veggies do you not like?  My husband is extremely picky about his vegetables.  He thinks broccoli and spinach are extremely bitter.  I have found that treating the vegetables by peeling or blanching does a lot to improve the flavor.
    - For broccoli, try peeling the stems.  Then sauté it in a frying pan with a little olive oil, garlic, and salt, or grill it after tossing in a little garlic olive oil.  Broccoli that has been peeled has none of the bitterness and picks up flavor much more easily.
    - For spinach, chard, and other dark leafy greens, blanch them for 30 sec-1.5 min in salty water.  Then strain, rinse with cold water and add to whatever you're cooking (stir fry, pasta, simple sauté in garlic and olive oil).  Spinach becomes almost buttery after blanching without the need to add butter!  
    - For asparagus, try blanching in salty water with a little lemon juice for 2 min.  Then grill or sauté on the stove.  This makes the asparagus bright green colored and gets rid of the off flavor that my husband doesn't like.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I work from home a lot so the days I am home, I do a 30 minute walk (total) to get a daily cup of coffee, then a lunch time walk with my dog (about 25 minutes) and depending on the weather another 30 minute walk with the dog in the afternoon when I am done with work. It ends up totaling around 4 miles. My goal is 10,000 steps a day. When I am in the office I will do laps around the building and my coworker and I go for an after lunch walk. Having a "buddy" is really helpful (dog or human!). 

For food the baby really digs vegetarian style meals so that's usually what I eat. I make a fruit/spinach protein smoothie in the morning, lunch is a sandwich and sides of sorts and dinner is whatever I can dig up around the house (usually eggs, veggies, sweet potatoes, etc). I haven't had much of a sweet tooth which has surprised me because before I got pregnant I would binge on sweets. Dairy is also giving me bad reflux so I have been avoiding that and it helps. 
  • @groovysuvi i usually don't have an issue with veggies...and i do still like broccoli.  However every night my husband makes a mix of veggies (squash, asparagus, peppers).  I honestly think it's just the smell of the squash that i can't stand and it consumes the whole kitchen and i get hit by it as soon as i walk into the house

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Love beachbody basement w outs and do cody app for yoga at lunch also mommy trainer google her she has w o and eating plan free