August 2016 Moms
Options

What's in Your Hospital Bag?

Re: What's in Your Hospital Bag?

• Options
    I brought too much that I didn't use with DD1, so trying to not bring as much this time! Had a CS the 1st time and will have to again this time. My must haves:

-Comfy lightweight long robe
    -Slippers
    -Shamp/Con/Body wash/face wash/little makeup for pics etc
    -Chapstick
    -Laptop, iPhone, iPad and all chargers
    -My king sized pillow
    -Cute headbands for myself so my hair is not a complete disasters for pics
    -Comfy lightweight throw
    -Going home clothes for me and baby

I bought cute nursing nightgowns and pjs but never wore them. It was so much easier wearing the hospital gowns and just putting my robe over. Same with underwear.  You are bleeding alot so didn't want to get blood on my things too. And never wore a bra until I left the hospital.

Lilypie - Eu0n
    BFP: 12/3/15     EDD: 8/11/16     IT'S A BOY!!!
    MAXIMUS POWERS   8♥5♥16

Lilypie - pXE7
    BFP: 8/5/13      EDD: 4/13/14     IT'S A GIRL!!!      
    AYLA BLAIR   3♥27♥14

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I haven't packed anything, and I plan on just leaving with a pillow and my robe, and phone charger if I remember. I plan on having my bag with just my list in it, so my husband  or mom can bring it to me. I know I won't need it until the next day anyway
  • Options
    Pepper6Pepper6 member
    I had the basics packed, and there was PLENTY of time to get the rest of the stuff together.  I was in early labor at home for over 12 hours before we left for the hospital (where I was in labor for another 24 hours, so plenty of time for someone to bring me something if I absolutely needed it), so it wasn't the running around chaotic circumstances most movies have you believe it is.  Not saying it can't be, but it's much, much more common for it to be a long waiting game than it is to have to rush immediately for the hospital.

Also, remember the hospital can provide a lot of the actual essential items and the rest are all just based on personal preference.  For example, I don't even own a robe and was not going to buy one just for the hospital, so I used a second hospital gown as a robe and that was perfectly comfortable for me.  Ditto with slippers, I just used my regular flip flops and the hospital provided socks when my feet were cold (only during labor, in recovery I was hot).  The big things that I used that the hospital can't provide was things like make-up, phone chargers, going home clothes, etc.  So my list looks like this:

- 2-3 outfits (depending on how long you stay.  Although for the first 24 hours, I found I was more comfortable staying in the hospital gown since they come to check you down there so often)
    - going home outfit for baby (I brought both NB and 0-3M just in case)
    - pillow for both DH and I (although the hospital beds are still uncomfortable AF, so don't count on a pillow making a huge difference)
    - shower stuff (with the exception of a towel, I didn't feel it was worth the hassle of having to bring my own)
    - makeup and hair ties
    - device chargers
    - kindle (since I labored mostly overnight with DD, I didn't get to use this much in labor, but I did use it after since newborns sleep a lot)
  • Options

My doula and doctor both recommended packing snacks "for my DH." And my doctor even said "Hospital policy is you are not allowed to eat, and are allowed only clear liquids. BUT - we won't actively prevent you from eating, if you happen to "forget" and we are easily able to take precautions if you do need an emergency C section.... and yes I know new research shows the benefits of eating during labor but our legal department won't allow us to actually okay it yet."

We asked what she would recommend "my DH" eat, and she said nuts that are easy to snack, and yogurt were good options.  So we'll be packing some of each, likely along with fruit.

The doctor also recommended we go out for a meal as soon as I think I am in labor, because 1. If I am not, it will distract me enough it will pass and 2. If I am actually in labor, I'll be very glad of that meal ;)

I plan on packing a bunch of night gowns that unbutton down the front. I usually sleep in night gowns, and I made sure to buy a bunch I don't mind if I wreck, which will allow for breast feeding. Sport bra type of nursing bras, a couple of dresses for if I want "real clothes"

I also want to bring a couple of cloth diapers, since we plan to CD and I want to make sure we have both those and disposables figured out.

One of the things I love about our hospital is your room is your room for the whole stay. You labor there, deliver there, and recover there.

I also want to pack the baby book and a towel.

We're also bringing take out menus for places in the area for after the birth. (the hospital is an hour from home, so not somewhere we are familiar with the offerings)

• Options
    Allisun85 said:

My doula and doctor both recommended packing snacks "for my DH." And my doctor even said "Hospital policy is you are not allowed to eat, and are allowed only clear liquids. BUT - we won't actively prevent you from eating, if you happen to "forget" and we are easily able to take precautions if you do need an emergency C section.... and yes I know new research shows the benefits of eating during labor but our legal department won't allow us to actually okay it yet."

We asked what she would recommend "my DH" eat, and she said nuts that are easy to snack, and yogurt were good options.  So we'll be packing some of each, likely along with fruit.

The doctor also recommended we go out for a meal as soon as I think I am in labor, because 1. If I am not, it will distract me enough it will pass and 2. If I am actually in labor, I'll be very glad of that meal ;)

Yes, my nurses "unofficially" said that snacking on something healthy was fine.  Just dont bring in a big greasy burger or something like that.  We also packed some "clear" gatorade. 

• Options
    I will be having a c-section. So far my list contains of comfortable going home outfit for myself and outfit for baby girl. Chapstick, hair ties,  travel size shampoo/conditioner. The hospital provides diapers,wipes etc during the stay so that is less to pack.
  • Options
    Knottie1759184... that's super sweet! But my hubby will get no such treatment from me lol. With our son, we were in the hospital  for 2 hours before he was born, and hubby went home that night when ds was 5 hours old. He will probably not spend the night this time either, especially now that we have 2 kids at home.

And I know I put this on another thread, but I'm going to mention it again... try to chose baby's coming home outfit wisely. Like something that buttons or zips all the way down. With them being so tiny, and the umbilical cord being sensitive and in the way, it's really the best for you and baby. Almost all of what I bought in newborn is a full bottom or zip outfit. I bought a coming home outfit like that for my friends baby who was born 3 weeks ago. She wasn't going to use it until she went to get him dressed and realized pulling a onsie over his umbilical cord was scary for her and rubbed it too much
  • Options
    LWC1112 said:
    My water broke at midnight and it had been about 6 hours since dinner. The nurses wouldn't let me eat anything but I did sneak in honey packets that I use when I do long runs. I was so incredibly grateful for those after being in active labor for 18 hours. This time, even if my water breaks at midnight, I'm 100% eating and am still taking honey packets. I think they are called honey stingers, all natural and gives great energy.
    Thanks for the honey reminder! I almost forgot how much honey saved me during labor. I ate at the beginning of labor but when the contractions picked up I wanted nothing to do with food.  My labor was so long that it ended up being a day of not wanting food.  Without honey I wouldn't have had the energy I needed.  
  • Options
    @LWC1112 is it regular honey? Or where can you purchase the packs from? That sounds like a great idea!
  • Options
    @squishy0511 Sorry it has taken me so long to answer! I've been on the app all week and mine doesn't give me notifications. Here is what I used: https://www.honeystinger.com/gels/gold.html

I love the regular flavor and the fruit smoothie. You can buy them at any running store or even order online. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Here you go @MrsEWilson - hope this thread gives you some guidance. I know it did for me and many other mom's (esp FTM's)
  • Options
    bbyTbbyT member
    Love this thread... But now I have a question -- When do you guys take your first shower after labor?? Will it be before people see you? When everyone is there? Experienced moms when did you take yours?
    Thanks!! 
  • Options
    Oh boy, I won't even be in the country I plan to deliver in until I'm 35 weeks, let alone the city. Planning a bag already is too much for me. :) I fly back home at 35 weeks, move to the city (and near the good hospitals) at 38 weeks, and then back home after little man shows up.
  • Options
    bbyT said:
    Love this thread... But now I have a question -- When do you guys take your first shower after labor?? Will it be before people see you? When everyone is there? Experienced moms when did you take yours?
    Thanks!! 
    With my previous babies, I was able to shower within a few hours. You can shower anytime after you are given the ok and you have someone there to watch the little one. 

• Options
    bbyT said:
    Thanks!! 
    Mine was after people saw me, but that was my choice to invite them to my room - everyone offered to leave and come back the next day since I was still kinda loopy from surgery and all the pain killers.  I had to wait until the next morning when the anesthesia wore off (I had a C-section) and they had to make sure I could pee on my own once they took out the catheter - can't have the catheter in the shower.  I was harassing them about showering, so they did it pretty quickly for me - once they saw I could be up and functional on my own they gave me the OK to shower.  I'd say it was probably within 12 hours of my surgery.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    @bbyT I showered the following morning (I gave birth at 2 in the afternoon). I had showered before going to the hospital, but I was a sweaty mess after labor. I would have loved to shower that evening, but it took a while for my epidural to wear off fully and they wouldn't let me shower alone until they were sure I was stable enough to stand for a long stretch of time. 

• Options
    @bbyT

I didn't shower until I got home about 30ish hours being in the hospital. I had high blood pressure and felt dizzy and off. My DD came at 35w, and part of me was in shock that I'd just had a baby. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. 

Once we got home and I took a shower, it was heavenly. Best shower ever. 

This is time I want to try and shower an hour or two after delivery. 
  • Options
    @jksj1993 you should be able to find all the answers here without starting a new thread, which you already did. Let's try not to crowd the board with already existing threads. 
  • Options
    I delivered dd at 6:35 pm and was given the ok a few hours later although I waited until early the following morning. I was enjoying my baby too much to worry about showering immediately 
  • Options
    I was able to shower soon after. My epidural didn't take out my legs completely,  so I was able to walk an hour after giving birth. I was offered help from the nurse to shower once I was brought to my room, so a couple hours after delivery. But it was late afternoon and I was too tired. I showered later that night. My first kid was born at 2 am, and I showered the next morning. So Id guess you'll be able to take one when you are ready!
  • Options
    bbyT said:
    Thanks!! 
    I delivered just after 9pm.  I showered the next morning.  My ILs were the first to show up, they met DS then we sent him back to the nursery while MH walked around with his parents and I showered.  Then they came back in for more of a visit.  I felt pretty good for having just delivered a baby 13ish hours earlier but showers always make me feel human and I wanted to look good in pictures (as vain as that sounds).  Then I changed into a nursing tank and yoga pants and was good to go for the rest of the day with the rest of our immediate family visiting.
  • Options
    This is happening. Somehow posting on here stating it publicly makes me feel more accountable to actually pack. It's been on the back of my mind since a month ago. 

Someone mentioned (either on this board or youtube mom blogger) to bring a diaper bag that is nearly empty to stock things that the hospital will provide for baby. As an overpacker by nature, watch my fate as I attempt this light packing, my hospital provides none of the crap for baby. Ha! Ok I'll pack a few diapers and wipes just in case.
  • Options
    @Lynnlove28 SPECIAL TOILET PAPER!!!!!  LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    @AliKay20 I wish someone had told me that before I had DD. When we figured out that we could take the things in our room home we kept convienently running out of diapers, wipes, and formula. We were there a few days so we asked for more at least at every shift change and then some. 

DH was stuffing stuff in the bag the hospital provides and when I was unpacking a few days later at home I realized he had taken the toilet paper too. When I asked him about it he said "well I didn't know if it was special toilet paper for after you have a baby so I just took it." 
    Lmao! You can't even make this up! Thanks for making me laugh!!
  • Options
  • Options
    I didn't plan on packing my bag until go tome, but realized between new nursing clothes and my camper toiletries, I could actually pack the bag! So mine is ready except phone charger. Baby's bag is packed with 2 outfits and a muslin blanket and mitts. The rest of the bag will get filled at the hospital :) I also picked up my pump today. Going to read directions and sterilize the parts this week, and probably just pack the tube and shields in my bag, and then take home the pieces the hospital will hopefully give me. I'm so prepared now it's crazy. Waiting for baby is going to take forever! 
  • Options
    We started talking about a bag tonight.  I am planning on getting mine together at 37w.  I am going to have my stuff together along with a list of last minute things that can't be packed (contacts, make-up bag etc.).  I am also going to try and have an extra stack of 3-4 outfits on my dresser in case we end up with a c-section and my husband has to come home to get more. I am mostly worried about forgetting my pump, boppy, and nursing supplies...almost anything else can be picked up or brought down while we are in the hospital (worst case scenario).
  • Options
    mrsmommya said:
    We started talking about a bag tonight.  I am planning on getting mine together at 37w.  I am going to have my stuff together along with a list of last minute things that can't be packed (contacts, make-up bag etc.).  I am also going to try and have an extra stack of 3-4 outfits on my dresser in case we end up with a c-section and my husband has to come home to get more. I am mostly worried about forgetting my pump, boppy, and nursing supplies...almost anything else can be picked up or brought down while we are in the hospital (worst case scenario).
    I'm an over packer so take this with a grain of salt, but I would consider just taking them with you when you go initially. For one I didn't want DH to leave me at all and two you never know what you'll feel comfortable in so it will be nice to have options right in front of you. 
  • Options
    @mrsmommya I wouldn't fret too much about the pump because you can use the ones the hospital provides. Both hospitals I have delivered in have the nice big hospital grade ones they just wheeled right to me.
  • Options
    @jamiesc58 It isn't that I want to pump in the hospital but they give you new lines and accessories so I want to bring it to make sure everything is working properly and I get all the correct parts.
  • Options
    mrsmommya said:
    @jamiesc58 It isn't that I want to pump in the hospital but they give you new lines and accessories so I want to bring it to make sure everything is working properly and I get all the correct parts.
    Oh I see! That makes sense...I never thought of it that way.
  • Options
    As a third time mom I am really struggling with when to pack. I really hate to do things too early, but I also don't want to be rushing either. With my first, I assumed that like most first time moms, I'd go past my due date. So I was going to pack at 39 weeks. So, when baby came at 38 weeks, I just threw a lot of crap I didn't even use into a big suitcase. 
    With my second, I figured I'd have my bag packed at37 weeks just to be safe. Well, the day before I hit 37 weeks I was hospitalized and induced the next morning. My mom had to go to my house and get the bare essentials for me. 
    I keep having this crazy urge to go ahead and pack now, but I know if I do, I'll go to 41 weeks and be wishing I had something to do to keep me busy.  Ugh first world problems. 
  • Options
    mbelcourt89mbelcourt89 member
    edited June 2016
    I'm definitely going to put more planning into my bag this time. And these posts are helping big time! First time, I went to my doctor on my due date I was no where near ready, so they were inducing. He told me to get to the hospital at 9pm but couldn't eat after 8pm. I was so worried about eating a big meal (which happened to be my last meal til my DS was born 3 days later) and my DH getting home on time I just threw clothes and chargers in my bag. I was there for over 4 days. I was miserable and I looked it too lol.