January 2016 Moms
Options

Eating in the MOTN

When my LO stirs and fussies in the MOTN, I always resort to "she must be hungry". Well last night at 430 I got up to feed her, she started to cry immediately after I picked her up. She drank 1oz of formula and started to cry again and refused the bottle. I put her down and she went back to sleep right away. She is 23 weeks. Is anybody else going through something similar where their LO is no longer in need of a feeding in the MOTN? If so, how many ounces do they have before bed? 

Re: Eating in the MOTN

• Options
    mhamikmhamik member
    We found this to be the case with my LO also. She has her last bottle usually between 9-10 pm and eats usually 4-6 oz and then will typically go until 5-6 am (once we got out of the sleep regression). At her four month appt her ped suggested that by 6 months our goal should be 4 bottles at 6-7 oz with her last one being right before an 8 pm bedtime (8 pm works best as our bedtime bc of work schedules) and should be able to go until at least 6 am. He said she should naturally drop her MOTN feeding by then bc at that point it's just habit, she doesn't need it. We saw this happen as she came out of the regression, she'd stir and then eat an oz and go back to sleep so we found that if we just would put her paci back in shed fall asleep, eventually we could just leave her be and her she'd go back to sleep on her own. It was a for sure a weening process though.

Obviously if she does not go back to sleep we still offer her a couple of ounces, but ped suggested not offering a full feed bc she really does not need it as long as she got her calories during her waking hours.

sorry for the novel but hope this helps! 

Ps LO is 21 weeks
  • Options
    Our LO dropped MOTN feedins at 3 months (she was sleeping through) but during her regression we started feeding her a few ounces thinking thats why she was waking up. Now its a bad habit. She'll drink an ounce and thats all. So were trying to break it.