June 2016 Moms
Options

BF mommas when are you introducing a bottle?

When did or will you introduce a bottle? How much did LO take? And any tips are appreciated! 

Re: BF mommas when are you introducing a bottle?

• Options
    I will probably start pumping after the morning feed when LO is two weeks old. I'll probably wait closer to 3 weeks to do a bottle...unless I need to before then. No reason in particular...just don't want to dip too much into my starter supply but also don't baby to reject a bottle if I wait longer. 
  • Options
    I'm gonna wait till he's 1 month and then do just the occasional bottle so DH can help with feedings if I'm napping or to leave with my MIL when she starts babysitting in a couple months.  Not so much worried about things like nipple confusion but I live the bonding time I get with feeding him.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I waited too long with DS to introduce a bottle and he never took one no matter how starving he was and we tried every bottle! So I'm paranoid if this happening again LO is two weeks so I'm thinking of trying this weekend I need a margarita lol 
  • Options
    xc1148xc1148 member
    We tried last time at 1 month, it worked, we checked the box, went back to BF, and at 4 months when i went back to work....she refused to take a bottle. We tried everything, it just wouldn't work.

This time i'm going to try again at 1 month or 6 weeks, and gradually keep using it. Assuming BF goes well, I don't really think there is risk of nipple confusion.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    With my daughter we introduced a bottle the second day, gave her one bottle a day from there out, and never had an issue with nipple confusion or refusing breast or bottle. It worked for us. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So my situation is different because my baby was preterm (36+5) and he was 5 pounds 7 ounces at birth and went down to 4.13. The LC in the hospital wanted me to pump after every feeding which I do because my baby is super sleepy. So we started giving him
    a bottle had 3 days old with pumped colostrum.

For us because we want to make sure he gains weight, giving him a bottle of pumped milk ensures we are feeding him enough. He doesn't always eat well from my breast or will fall asleep
    in 5 minutes. Or he'll be super hungry and frantic and not latch right. He does feed well at times but pumping seems easier for me during the day.

So far he doesn't seem to have any nipple confusion. I am using a shield when I breastfeed due to his mouth is small and my nipples are on the small side. 

• Options
    Oh and my baby eats about 2 ounces of BM at a sitting. It varies, and he's almost 2 weeks old. I am now pumping 3-4 ounces at a sitting so I already have more milk then he wants. Not sure what is normal though.

• Options
    xc1148 said:
    We tried last time at 1 month, it worked, we checked the box, went back to BF, and at 4 months when i went back to work....she refused to take a bottle. We tried everything, it just wouldn't work.

This time i'm going to try again at 1 month or 6 weeks, and gradually keep using it. Assuming BF goes well, I don't really think there is risk of nipple confusion.
    I don't return back to work till September so I have to be careful this doesn't happen. At least get my DS or mom to give her a bottle like twice a week. 
  • Options
    @huskypuppy14 my cousin exclusively pumped for 7 months because her son was a premie too. She had made enough to last him through a year pretty cool. 
  • Options
    I started around day 4. I did the same with my son. Both were good breastfeeders so I wasn't worried about that. With my son I gave bottles earlier on and then stopped for awhile and when I reintroduced around 3 months it was a battle. I don't want that to happen this time so I give at least one bottle a day. She doesn't seem to have an issue going back and forth. 

• Options
    We met with the hospital's LC yesterday, 9 days after delivery. She's already gained 4oz past her birth weight, so we were told I could start pumping now and introduce a bottle after her 2 week growth spurt. I'm thrilled as we plan to have DH give a bottle at night so we can both get more sleep. He's been helping with diapers and burping at night time feedings especially because DD has been crazy fussy. 
  • Options
    xc1148xc1148 member
    xc1148 said:

I don't return back to work till September so I have to be careful this doesn't happen. At least get my DS or mom to give her a bottle like twice a week. 
    It was really scary, she waited until 3 days before I went back before she would take the bottle lol. But my pediatrician said no baby is going to starve itself. They might have a strong preference for boob, but eventually they will figure it out!
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• Options
    We introduced a bottle to DD last night at 3 days old because it seemed like she wasn't getting enough from breast feeding. She still took to my breast in the morning, we gave her another bottle in the afternoon, and she has still been taking my breast. Hopefully she continues taking both! 
  • Options
    lisa1625lisa1625 member
    edited June 2016
  • Options
    Huskypuppy, I'm 100% in the exact same situation! I'm finding it tough sometimes, refreshing to hear I'm not alone! 
  • Options
    I ended up spending days 4-6 back in the hospital and pumped bottles for MH to feed baby when they left to go home at night. Although it wasn't part of the plan, I think introducing the bottle so early on was actually beneficial. She's 4 weeks now and it's so nice to be able to have a bottle for when we're out and about and have a little break from breastfeeding. She's never experienced nipple confusion and it's a nice way for MH and her to bond. 
  • Options
    We are using the bottle sparingly. One feed every other day.  We first introduced it at 2 weeks when the Mr. and I went out for date night.  I have noticed a weaker latch from her since introducing it so I am not planning on upping the frequency until she's closer to six weeks. 

I am am pumping 2 to 4 oz a day just to start a stash for when I go back to work. I'll increase that as my leave draws to an end.
    Me: 29
    The Mr.: 31
    EDD: 6/2/16
    Furbabies: 3 rescue dogs
  • Options
    I introduced the bottle when DS was 4 days old because I wasn't producing enough breast milk and had to supplement with formula. Now, I am producing enough and have started pumping. I still breastfeed from the boob constantly. No nipped confusion. I use avent bottles.
    With my first, I introduced bottles when she was 2 weeks. No nipped confusion with her either.

• Options
    We introduced a bottle around day 3 or 4 because of concern that LO wasn't getting enough milk. Nipple confusion has not been an issue. We just used the nipples that came with the formula samples at the hospital. The advice to us was to nurse from both sides and then give 1 oz from the bottle, but I'm sure the amount would vary according to how you're using the bottle. 
  • Options
    I had nipple bleeding issues so I pumped and gave a bottle once or twice a day starting at around 3 days old. We still breastfeed 6,000 times a day but a break is nice sometimes. I haven't had any issues with him latching or bfing 
  • Options
    I had to get a nipple shield due to latch issues and she was losing so much weight. The LC was even recommending formula for the weight loss. Luckily the shield worked wonders but we supplement with a bottle of breast milk about 1-2 times a day since she was 4 days old. She seems to prefer breastfeeding still but will take a bottle. We are still usually doing small amounts (15-30 milliliters) and I always offer her my ready first. Then pump ever two hours. Exhausting but worth it
  • Options
    rbfleirbflei member
    So we were told to supplement while waiting for my milk to come in. Since doing that we tried the new Madela breast feed simulated bottle and have been super happy. The nipple is open but the baby has to create suction at the base of the nipple to get out anything. It has helped with latch as it still forces her to do work and made it easy to switch back and forth.
  • Options
    We just bought that bottle as well and are trying it out
  • Options
    When I need to, probably.  I didn't give my oldest a bottle until 6 weeks, and she never had a problem.  With my second I started well before two weeks, and despite trying all different types, etc., he was always a disaster with bottles & he finally refused them all together when he was 7 months old - he would only drink water from a little cup and eat solids when I was at work.

So I'm not going to stress about trying to find the right time.  With my kids it seems they'll either deal with a bottle or not:)
  • Options
    Did any of you ladies find it helpful to have your DH or other caregiver be the first person to try to give the baby the bottle? The baby isn't here yet, but we're wondering if it might be helpful if I wasn't home/in the same room the first time we attempt a bottle feed.
  • Options
    Did any of you ladies find it helpful to have your DH or other caregiver be the first person to try to give the baby the bottle? The baby isn't here yet, but we're wondering if it might be helpful if I wasn't home/in the same room the first time we attempt a bottle feed.
    I never give my babies bottles myself - strictly other people, when I'm not home.  If I"m with baby I nurse, if not, they get a bottle & I pump to replace that feeding.  
  • Options
    Rosehip15 said:
    I never give my babies bottles myself - strictly other people, when I'm not home.  If I"m with baby I nurse, if not, they get a bottle & I pump to replace that feeding.  
    Same. My husband does the bottle feedings and uses different holds than she gets for breastfeeding. I do a cross chest hold and he feeds her more upright or directly  in front of him. Some times if she can see or smell me she will reject the bottle. So he will feed her in a different room if she is fussing a lot. And I pump when she is getting a bottle.
  • Options
    My first son would reject a bottle from me, my second could care less. I probably give him a bottle once a day that I pump to give my nipples a break. They were cracked and bleeding 
  • Options
    My DH gave LO her first bottle today at 17 days old she sucked it down like that's how she's been eating all along. I'm guessing I should make sure she gets a couple bottles a week from now on so she doesn't refuse when I go back to work this fall. 
  • Options
    I needed to supplement.. So we introduced it when we came home from the hospital.. I'm the only one who doesn't give her the bottle.... And actually, she prefers me over the bottle. We also use a nipple shield... So its very similar to a bottle nipple so we are not dealing with nipple confusion 
  • Options
    I'm only going to introduce a bottle when it becomes necessary. I have no idea when that will be. I'm a SAHM so I don't need to worry about whether or not he'll take a bottle. If I did, I'd introduce it early on, prolly 1 month or so.
    BabyFetus Ticker