February 2016 Moms

Baby's cold is NOT going away!

My poor LO has had cold symptoms for just over 4 weeks now  :( We took him to the pediatrician at the beginning of the cold, about a week into it, and have called them since to keep them updated and see if we should do anything more. I'm starting to think he may now have croup, his cough sounds so sad! He has his 4 month checkup on Thursday so we'll see what our doctor says then. He hasn't gotten a fever at all though and really hasn't been all that fussy. Just congested (not affecting his nursing though) and coughing (which is waking him up at night). Does anyone else have experience with a cold/cough in your LO that just won't go away?

Re: Baby's cold is NOT going away!

• Yes. this is us! Avery had a cold for about 4 weeks and is not a fussy baby? The doctor did eventually diagnosed her with bronchitis and she is still somewhat congested but nothing like before. We just used the nose frida every time we changed her diaper, humidifier at night and elevated her crib and eventually had to take her back because her symptoms were not improving. She never had a fever. Its not very fun to have a LO sick for an extended period of time, but sometimes they have get an antibiotic before they get better? At least that is what happened with mine. If your baby does in fact have croup they will give him an antibiotic and you should see improvements quickly. I always worry about a cold turning into pneumonia but luckily it has not yet. Your doctor will know what to do. If you ever need some reassurance its always helpful to take them back if they are not improving after the two week mark for a cold? Oh and to add though my little one would only eat half of what she normally does when she is well. Poor baby:(
  •  ETA: Sorry not an antibiotic for croup. I believe its a steroid.. croup kind of sounds like pertussis also. If he is in daycare they might check for RSV. We had an antibiotic for her bronchitis. My oldest did have croup around a year old but her coughing fits happened at night  only and she really sounded like a barking dog or seal. Also, can you change your appointment to today? just in case it's something more serious like pertussis? not sure if you or him were vaccinated.. just a thought.
  • Loading the player...
  • Called and found out that his appointment is next week  :( I made one for Friday. He has had all of his vaccines so hopefully it's not whooping cough, plus he's not making any whooping noise. He's not been coughing much today. Poor baby  :(
  • Oh good. Let me know what it ends up being if anything at all? colds can be tricky and last forever it feels like sometimes.
  • We took him in today, our pediatrician says it is just a virus and should go away in a few more days and to just keep doing what we're doing: cool mist humidifier, saline for his nose, Tylenol as needed, and occasionally suctioning his nose.
  • Seems to be the norm. Now when you think it's another cold it will be something else! Never fails! Glad it's nothing more serious.
  • Mine has had about 1 week of the last 11 weeks that he hasn't been congested and coughing. Same as you, no fever, no fussiness, just congested and coughing. I've taken him to the pediatrician twice and they keep saying it's a virus, but I really think it's allergies. It's frustrating because he's not a good sleeper anyway and he coughs himself awake at least once a night.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • So LO wound up developing a little ear infection (still has his cough and stuffiness), we found out on Thursday when he had his 4 month checkup. So now at least he's on antibiotics. I really hope they knock this out of his system! Oh and I asked about allergies, my pediatrician said they can't develop them until around a year old because they need the exposure for long enough to develop a sensitivity. So at least it's not that. Ugh. I'm sorry for you other momma's with sickies, but glad we're not alone!
  • This sucks! My little one keeps getting colds I am assuming from daycare she has another one!
  • Yeah @jadkins2 my LO just seems to have never gotten over his colds since a little over a month ago, although I'm sure it has been multiple different colds. Today his cough seems to be gone . . . hoping it stays that way!
  • Doc told me today to start LO on 1.2mL of Children's Zyrtec for his cough that won't go away.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • We had to do Alegra for my first born around 4 months! I really hope this little one knocks this soon.I feel like she has been sick since April when she started daycare! My pediatrician said that babies can get allergies but not until around 4 months or so. I think that's when their sinus cavaties devlop? I really don't like when they say it's just a virus but then it never goes away. 100 dollars down the drain 
  • Mine's cough is back again a vengeance, we are doing a steroid for two days and benadryl.  Fingers crossed this works! 
  • Well the cough was gone and so was most of the stuffiness but as of Sunday it started coming back a little and now he's pretty consistently coughing again. Ugh poor baby :cry:
  • These are daycare sickies? We start daycare next week...
    Bracing myself.
  • =caenis= said:
    These are daycare sickies? We start daycare next week...
    Bracing myself.
    In my case they are, we have had two colds and the flu in the last three months.  
  • My baby doesn't attend daycare .. But I work in a hospital .. Always shower etc before I hold her after work .. We're on day two of high fevers !! Just got back from pediatrician told its vital and needs to run its course .. So many boogers
  • =caenis= said:
    Bracing myself.
    In my case they are, we have had two colds and the flu in the last three months.

Mine too, not sure if it's definitely because of being in daycare or not, but I'm guessing it probably is. We haven't consulted our pediatrician this time yet, but last time she kept saying it was viral and had to run its course and that it was possible he got multiple colds which was why it lasted so long, but then he got a mild ear infection and had antibiotics which made him all better . . . soooo idk
  • =caenis= said:
    Bracing myself.

Mine too, not sure if it's definitely because of being in daycare or not, but I'm guessing it probably is. We haven't consulted our pediatrician this time yet, but last time she kept saying it was viral and had to run its course and that it was possible he got multiple colds which was why it lasted so long, but then he got a mild ear infection and had antibiotics which made him all better . . . soooo idk
    Our cough is really back again now.  So we will go through this weekend and then probably back to the doc on Monday or Tuesday.  Poor baby just needs to be virus/sickness free for a while!  

I keep wondering if a dose of antibiotics would just knock her stuff out as well....
  • @beachgirl218 I know right?! Our LO is still a sickie, bringing him to the Dr tomorrow afternoon. He had a little fever today (100.1) but it hasn't gotten higher. I don't know if anyone else read the article on TB that was on the app today (at least it was for me) about whooping cough in babies but after reading it I'm wondering if he could have that! He's been immunized but of course only partially since he's not 6 months yet.

I also wonder if it is croup.

Or an ear infection.

Or teething.

Ugh. Wish I was a pediatrician right about now.
  • @Kimbarbour08 We have an appointment at 3 today to talk about the cough again...we still haven't had our four month shots due to the all the sickness.   Hopefully we can both get some answers and our LOs can feel better.  
  • @Kimbarbour08  they said the culprit is allergies today.  I'll start her on Claritin tomorrow.  At least she finally got her vaccinations she was supposed to get a month ago today.  I hope your LO got some answers!
  • @beachgirl218 Our pediatrician said he most likely has tracheomalacia. Because of that when he gets a cold it's going to linger (especially the cough) because his floppy airways keep the mucus in when he tries to cough it out. She said usually they grow out of it between 1-2 years, but until then when he gets colds they will probably stick around. Which babies usually get 8-10 colds their first year and in daycare get around 15, so looks like he could be possibly be coughing his whole first year. At least it's nothing more serious, but poor baby :cry: