Pregnant after 35

weekly check in 6/17

lickasticklickastick member
edited June 2016 in Pregnant after 35
This is a weekly check in for anyone pregnant over 35. If you are new to the board please feel free to jump right in!

How far along are you? 

How are you feeling?

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)

Rants/Raves/Questions:

GTKY: Did you have a favorite toy growing up? What do you do/ hope to do when providing your kids toys: the more the merrier or minimize that shiz? 

Re: weekly check in 6/17

• Hoo boy! Lovin' some weekly check in!

How far along are you? 37 weeks 2 days

How are you feeling? Happy that a lot of the logistical things that had been hanging over my head for the last few weeks are finally resolved: gave my notice at work, DH is getting the health insurance stuff going as well as getting our new minivan purchased (yes, a minivan... ladies, we have arrived), all of the paperwork is done... now all we have to do is wait for baby!
    Other than that, physically I'm feeling pretty uncomfortable and tired but it's all part of it, right?

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) I'm into the homestretch so having weekly appointments. Baby Amy is still growing and is still head down and in a great position for delivery. I have another appointment next week so it will be maybe more of the same although I am hoping that there will be some positive changes!

Rants/Raves/Questions: I found a new Mexican restaurant near my house and it is DELICIOUS! I decided that I am going to take myself out for a meal as often as I can until baby is here. I LOVE going out for dinner and I know that it will not be as easy once Baby Amy is here. Today, I'm going for Thai food before I hit up my errands. 
    Despite the fact that I've been more fatigued, I've been walking the dogs which has been nice and they both seem to get a lot out of that. Of course, given that they weight 130# each, I don't walk them at the same time, but it's all good because then I actually get 2 walks in a day.

Another rave: the local Stop and Shop carries Ben and Jerry's Empower-mint ice cream AND a seasonal Polar Seltzer called Raspberry Pink Lemonade which is amazing! I am very into my food and beverage!

GTKY: Did you have a favorite toy growing up? What do you do/ hope to do when providing your kids toys: the more the merrier or minimilze that shiz?

My favorite toy(s) growing up were always our computer or game system. Someone got us a Commodore 64 and I used to play all kinds of games on it. We got an NES when I was 8 or 9 and I've really been hooked on gaming ever since. I go through phases with it, and I don't play a broad range of games, mainly RPGs and of course the old classic Nintendo franchises (Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong). 

There are currently more books in my house than toys. As far as what kind: I figure we'd try blocks, Duplos/legos, game consoles (when older obvi), and maybe some play animals or My Little Ponies... I guess I'll just have to see what her interests are... all of those things were my interests but I can't really expect her to be just like me. I think we'll try to stay minimal because it is less to clean up, but we'll see!
  • How far along are you? 28 weeks- 3rd tri (right?)!!!!!

How are you feeling? Have had 2 really bad sleep nights in a row. boo :( I really want to start doing more yoga but I'm just so tired from not sleeping.

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Had my 28 week appointment yesterday where she took blood for my GD screening- Please please let it be in normal range, I really want it to be normal! 

Rants/Raves/Questions: ugggggghhhh I am still trying to figure out if I want a doula or not and it is making my batty! I also can not believe it is the 3rd tri- WTF?????

GTKY: Did you have a favorite toy growing up? What do you do/ hope to do when providing your kids toys: the more the merrier or minimize that shiz? 
    We had this heman castle that I LOVED and alot of cabbage patch dolls and barbies. We also loved playing dress up and we had a chest of costumes and clothes. I would love to keep toys to a minimum simply because I don't want them all over the house. My nephew has so many freaking toys, and they have been giving us their hand me downs, but it's just too much the amount he has. Do kids really need so much? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @lillebowski23 My DH secretly wants a minivan so much! I make fun of him for it :) but congrats- he would be jealous! 
  • @createillumination  I hear ya with the sleeping poorly... I struggled on Wednesday to drag my a$$ to a prenatal yoga class and, even though I am doing way more modifications that ever before, the meditation in motion really helps me. I was so glad I went! YOU CAN DO IT!  I feel like yoga is ALWAYS a good decision.

Also, DH recently injured his shoulder (tendonitis with calcification, oy!) so he has limited range and use of his right arm... oy. He told the scheduler at his drs office that we were expecting and they seem to have moved him to the top of the list. Needless to say, we've stalled on the minivan project. We're looking at a Honda Odyssey. What's your DH's dream minivan?

@Sporty1216 that is so cute about your LO and the spice drawer!!
  • @lillebowski23--sorry about your DH's arm... Yikes! As far as the odyssey goes, everyone I know who has one LOVES it! We have a pilot and love that, but if I was choosing again, I would go with the odyssey all the way. 
  • @Sporty1216 when my nephew was here for Christmas he kept going back to the spice jars in our kitchen :) Such a great fine motor and sensory experience! And kids love getting to play with real-life stuff. 

@lillebowski23 Enjoy all the pre-baby meals out! I teated myself to a solo lunch yesterday at a nearby pho place and was trying to think about how I would do that with a little one in tow. Slurping hot broth and noodles is probably a no-no while baby wearing! 

@createillumination congrats on 3rd tri! 
  • How far along are you? 25 weeks 3 days. Time feels like it's slowing down again. I'm anxious to get to 3rd tri.  

How are you feeling? Overall ok, but a bit emotional today. 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Nothing until July. 

Rants/Raves/Questions: Feeling extra ranty today. We leave tomorrow for a one week trip "back home" to Chicago & surrounding area. Neither of us are feeling excited about it and that's a bummer. I think part of it is that over half of my trips back in the last 3 years have been marred in some way. One weekend trip was totally canceled when a worker at an airline control center set himself on fire and grounded nearly all flights for the day. Another trip I was dealing with an emerging health issue. Another trip was immediately preceded by an unexpected death in DH's family. This morning I started crying because I don't feel great about the person house/dog sitting for us while we're gone. We usually just leave her with her doggy sister's family. DH decided it would be good to also have someone watch the house. It's my dog's mom's person so I know he loves her and my dog loves him and will enjoy having her mama here. It's just something different and for some reason I don't feel totally comfortable with it. 

I hope to keep things minimal.  I feel like I had a ton of toys growing up and remember it feeling overwelming. We also don't have a ton of space.  Growing up I loved stuffed animals and any kind of dolls/animals/figurines that allowed for story telling. I like baby toys that don't have too many bells and whistles. 
  • @BernieRae--given all of those experiences, I'd feel emotional about an upcoming trip too! I hope that this one somehow manages to redeem itself and that you feel better about it and about your dog/house sitter before you go. I hate when I have an uneasy feeling about things. I also think I get more and more of those when I am pregnant...not to say that is part of what is causing yours. But, at this point, I think I've decided I'm not going any more than 3 hours from home and not spending more than 1 or 2 nights away. We are going to the in-laws this weekend so that I can grade all weekend. DH tends to do better watching LO if he has help from grandma and grandpa, so that's fine. But mostly, I just want to stay home. Maybe nesting time is coming soon???  

Anyway. I hope things start looking up for you!
  • @lillebowski23 that is the one he wants! Now he's gonna be super-duper jelly. But he really only wants it for the "captins chairs" ha!
  • Also, re: eating out with a baby...the newborn days and early months are actually the best for eating out in my experience. Sure, sometimes you get a crabby baby and have to try to nurse or bottle feed or whatever at the table and it can get hairy, but we had so much fun going out with LO when he was tiny because most of the time he was asleep in his carseat or just wanted to snuggle. :) And, @BernieRae--you'll be amazed at what you can eat while babywearing! A strategically draped blanket or napkin goes a long way. Also, the "turn to the side and crane your neck out" move is invaluable. Haha. (Can you all tell I have grading to do? Hahahaha)
  • How far along are you? 32 weeks, 2 days

How are you feeling? Pretty good. Starting to get some lower back pain if I stand for too long. Wearing the belly brace seems to help. I start all day camps this Monday and I'm really worried about being on my feet and tending to children all day long. I guess we'll see how it goes...

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Last appointment was on Wednesday. Baby is doing great. I'm still doing daily blood sugar monitoring but all of my levels have stayed below 130 for the past two weeks (except one reading at 135). I had to see the doctor to check up on all this to make sure I can still stay with the midwives. The doctor said that my numbers were looking really good and that I don't need to go on medication (which means I can stay with the midwives!). She said for me to continue with testing 4 times a day for the next two weeks and if everything continues to stay within range I can just do one finger prick test in the morning to check my fasting levels (for the rest of the pregnancy). So yay!

Rants/Raves/Questions: Had first official prenatal visit with our doula today. DH hadn't met her yet and he absolutely adored her. She is soooooo incredibly wonderful. She spent around 3 hours at our house going over all sorts of things and helping me come up with a solid birth plan (and even gave me a free lavender eye pillow she made herself!). I feel so comfortable around her and so lucky to have her assisting me with the birth. Seriously, she has helped so much with some of my birthing anxiety stuff.

Cabbage patch doll and lots of Barbies! I'd like to keep things minimal with our boy but we'll see how it goes. I really don't like the baby toys that light up and make a ton of crazy noises. I feel like they are way too stimulating and make me want to bang my head against the wall. Other than that, I'm open to anything. I'm hoping we get some cool toys at the baby shower.

@createillumination - have you interviewed some doulas? I think if you find the right one, it makes a world of difference. I'm really glad I'm having one, but it's mainly because I just love her energy so much. 
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • @Sporty1216 thanks! I'm already feeling better now that we're actually here. As much as I want to make this a fun trip I'm also looking forward to getting back, being close to 3rd tri and yes, nesting away! 
  • @BernieRae I'm so glad you made it without any major disasters!!

@jilligan14 I 100% agree with you on the right person. I've set up some interviews and I really like one gal i spoke too on the phone. I was just really hung up on having to pay for the midwife completely out of pocket and a doula. I think we might ask DH parents to pay some portion of the doula as our baby gift. So happy you get to stay with the midwives!!!!
  • @BernieRae--glad it is going well! Hope it continues to be a good visit. I have decided that--other than the one night we plan to do a little trip with my parents--I don't want to sleep away from home again until I have this baby. I'm just over it! Haha. 

@jilligan14--yay for the good GD report and the awesome doula!
  • I agree that going out to eat with a newborn is the easiest.  Take advantage!!

And we got a Toyota Sienna in April, and I absolutely adore it.  It's been really perfect so far :-)

How far along are you?  18w 

How are you feeling?  I'm doing pretty well.  I feel like I finally got some energy back, which is nice.  I feel tiny pokes and movement, usually only at night when I can concentrate, but I love it.  

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)  My next appt is next Thursday.  And then my a/s is July 5th.  I am impatient for the u/s!!  We've been making lists of boy and girl names. 

Rants/Raves/Questions:  This weekend I am flying across the country with my 2 year old to have a long weekend with my college friends.  And leaving my 4 year old with H.  I don't know if I'm more nervous about being alone with my 2 year old on a trip (she is a piece of work), or leaving my big one alone with dad (they are psyched and have lots of plans).  

GTKY: Did you have a favorite toy growing up?My dolls and my books probably. 
    What do you do/ hope to do when providing your kids toys: the more the merrier or minimize that shiz?    I try hard to minimize.  And we're pretty careful about the toys we get.  We try and steer clear of batteries, and character themed things.  And we get more wood than plastic.  We try and think through what we get.  
    BabyFruit Ticker

BFP 3.8.16  EDD 11.20.16

• How far along are you? 34w3d

How are you feeling? Big. And retaining a lot of fluid. Plus heartburn, acid reflux, pelvic pain, lots of BH contractions. I'm so looking forward to my body recovering after the birth. I don't even need it to happen all at once. Just seeing little improvements every day would mean the world to me. I want to feel human again.

Any baby news: Next appt is Monday, but it's just a quickie. Still no name yet.

Rants/Raves/Questions: I'm feeling very close to being prepared.

I think my favorite was the sketchbook I got when I was 10. But I also loved books, stuffed animals, legos, barbies, etc.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• sorry I'm so late to the party!

How far along are you?  almost 31 weeks

How are you feeling? Ugh. I was feeling fine until earlier this week. Baby dropped and is engaged in my pelvis which is making things much more uncomfortable (butt, pelvis and lower back are all suffering). I'm also having a lot of BH's all of the sudden. I've had to cut back on my activity a bunch, which just makes me grumpy.

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Had my 30w appt on Tuesday. Passed my GD test and apparently have amazing iron levels for a pregger. Got the TDAP and heartbeat was sounding good. Mw confirmed that baby's head is in the ready position. Next appointment at 32w plus a follow us u/s on July 8 to check on the brain cyst (which has hopefully diminished at this point).

Rants/Raves/Questions: I'm all about the ranting right now. I guess I had a fairytale pregnancy last time, but I was able to snow shoe and feel good physically up until two days before I went into labor. I hate feeling so limited physically right now and am worried this is the new normal until I deliver. I'm also worried that baby engaging plus increased contractions means I could go into preterm labor. I really, really need this baby to keep cooking for a bare minimum of 5 more weeks.

GTKY: Did you have a favorite toy growing up? What do you do/ hope to do when providing your kids toys: the more the merrier or minimize that shiz? I loved books, cabbage patch dolls, roller skates. We tend toward the minimalist side when it comes to toys. We rarely buy them, but have a fair amount of hand me downs from my sister's kids. We try to spend a lot of time playing outside and avoid plastic toys with bells and whistles. The ones we've gotten as gifts, we just never put batteries in. It's amazing how little kids actually need to entertain themselves.
  • Oh @mamfesto I feel your pain! In the past couple days I've been having some serious pelvis issues and I'm thinking to myself there is no way I can make it 3 more months like this. I can't work out or do yoga and possibly make it worse if it is symphsis pubis dysfunction. Waaaahhhhhh sad face. I hope it gets better for you! Congrats on a good appointment thou. 
  • @mamafesto I got pelvic pain at 30 weeks that lasted a week. Now it comes and goes. Hopefully yours will do the same! And I started getting very frequent BH's two weeks ago (at 33 weeks) and I'm still not showing any signs that labor is on the horizon. I hope that helps!
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)