TTC After a Loss

June Benched Check in

Re: June Benched Check in

• Dear @prayingforbabyh welcome.  I am very sorry for your loss.  I am very sad to have to meet you here.  Your story is heartbreaking. I hope you can find comfort and support in this group.

hugs
    -Y
    Married 06.21.14 / TTC since 11.15 /
    BFP 01.03.2016 / MMC 6w5d D&C 02.2016 // BFP 05.06.16 / natural MC 05.12.16
    Benched 06.2016-08.2016 / TTC again 09.2016! On a diet. Cranky.
    BFP 10.02.2016 / NT scan at 12w looked normal / Anatomy scan at 20w everything ok
    Team blue! / EDD June 11th 2017
    DAVID ROGER was born on May 23rd at 37 weeks.

Architect, Peruvian living in Chile. I love art, opera and good chocolate.
    Started PhD studies in Architecture on 2017.
    Fur mom of a rescued miniature poodle called Luke Skywalker.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @prayingforbabyh so sorry for your loss and for what that ignorant person said to you :( TTCAL is a wonderful place for support :) Just wanted to note that if you're able to, can you please edit out this phrase? 

Baby dust to all of you!

It is not used here, out of respect for those who may have cremated their babies <3 Thank you! <3
  • Loading the player...
  • @prayingforbabyh I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to your family. Also, thank you for your kind words to all of us. 

@ladipale and @srnj3 I'm sorry for your losses, but welcome to this board. I hope you find healing! 

I just realized today marks one month since we had to terminate our pregnancy. I was doing pretty well until this moment. Tomorrow will be better. We're looking forward to planning our future care - I have an appointment with an MFM on Thursday. I do have high blood pressure and can stand to loose a few pounds...anyone have any advice on what to expect from a preconception appointment with an MFM or any advice on what to ask??
    Married 9/27/2014  :)
    BFP #1: 8/23/2015 M/C: 9/24/2015
    BFP# 2: 4/15/2016 M/C: 5/13/2016 Cervical Ectopic Pregnancy
    5/13/2016 Methotrexate Shot #1
    5/15/2016 Methotrexate Shot #2
    5/17/2016 Methotrexate Shot #3
  • ladipaleladipale member
    edited June 2016
    Thanks for the warm welcome

@srnj3 - I had many similar feelings you expressed and it was impossible to believe I would ever feel days of happiness again. But I do. I poured myself into my work - maybe not there best idea but it paid off m for my students! I also don't feel like my body is in good shape and I don't like it over bit! 

And i am a major planner too so this has been a very hard time for me. The fear of trying again and losing again comes in waves but I've had some good pep talks with people and found some quotes on courage that have helped me. 
    **** TW - kids and loss mentioned ****
    ~~ married 8.11.07
    ~~ DD1 1.16.11 ~~ DD2 1.3.14 ~~
    ~~ BFP3 12.22.15 MMC 2.29.16 @ 13 weeks ~~
    ~~ 2 D&Cs (3.1.16 and 3.10.16) for MMC
    ~~ BFP4 10.27.16  MMC 1.23.17 @ 16 weeks ~~ D&E 1.26.17 ~~
  • Just an update

+++ TW losses mentioned +++

(I got high insulin levels on recent blood work/had 2 MC this year)

I went to the nutritionist, and she agreed that high insulin can be the cause for recurrent early pregnancy loss.  

So there. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand this is an answer, and it's something that can be controlled, fixed, taken care of.  On the other hand, why on earth my OBGYN didn't test my glucose and insulin before I ever TTC. I went beforehand and told him my history and he didn't say a thing. GRrRrRRrR.
    This is just wrong and needs to be fixed. (this thing inside some doctors minds that 2 losses isn't that much even though we are like dying inside).

Well, I am trying to focus on the good things. The diet is not that awful, I am not hungry at all, but it is a lot of work! I need to have home cooked meals every day and I am a lazy cooker. Ah well, so far I am surviving with no cheating!

And my nutritionist is really nice, and thorough, and empathic with me and my losses. She is very optimistic that I can fix this, and that I will be able to get pregnant again and stay pregnant.

As for DH's part, his urologist appointment went fine, he needs to take the tests again, and some other extra tests he ordered. Now he has a nasty cold, so testing will have to wait for some days.
    BFP 10.02.2016 / NT scan at 12w looked normal / Anatomy scan at 20w everything ok

• @yolandamunoz That is frustrating that your doctor didn't check this before! But I'm also glad that you have something concrete to move forward with and that your nutritionist is good :smile:
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 26 DH: 28  
    TTC #1 since 06/2014
    BFP #1 09/23/15. MMC discovered 11/24/2015
    BFP #2 08/24/16 EDD 05/08/17

• Yes @roper2617 i see this as an answer that I can work on right away. Trying to stay positive.

• Just an update:

I'm for sure benched until at least September now. My OB is concerned that even though my thyroid levels aren't ridiculous, they aren't exactly under control (TSH went up despite a dosage increase last month). She and my PCP think waiting at least 2 months to monitor my levels and get them stable is a good idea. She also wants me to go see an endocrinologist, so it looks like more doctors and more bloodwork is in my future. I'm starting to feel like a pin cushion. 

I do like my OB though. She admitted that I'm in a gray area for a lot of things: thyroid kind of out of whack but not off the charts, indeterminate APS antibodies, and bloodwork that could be "PCOS-ish" (as she put it). She agreed that all the little gray areas could be adding up to a problem, so she wants to get some resolution on the thyroid and APS before we TTC again. She also agreed to screen me for celiac's to just keep ruling things out, and she said starting baby aspirin can't hurt, so I'll be doing that before we TTC again. As sad as I am to be benched for 2-3 months, my instinct is telling me it's the right thing to do. Good thing we're getting a puppy next month to distract me!
  • Puppies rule!!!

• @chloe97 I didn't know there was a Benched for the Summer group - I'll have to check it out. I've been depressed lately about our losses, and so I took some steps back from TB. Looks like I missed a lot. I'm so glad you're happy with your puppy! You deserve it!
  • @RiverSong15 Ha. Sorry it's not a real group, but I think there 1-2 of us who are waiting to start TTC again in the fall for medical or personal reasons. I have this Demo Lovato "Cool for the Summer" song in my head as I sing Benched for the Summer. It's the small things that get you through this awful and sad shit.
  • Yes! I'm part of the Benched for Summer group :)
  • I too would be part of the Benched for the Summer group!

Here's my update: I met with my MFM, and he's optimistic about my chances of conceiving again and having a healthy pregnancy - with extra care, of course. I originally thought I'd be benched until at least November and that still could be the case. The MFM said I should wait at least three cycles to ttc after my cervix has completely healed, there is currently some inflammation that can take a while to heal. But, if the ultrasound next month shows a normal cervix, then we'll start trying in October! It's not much, but it's a cycle sooner. However, it could take longer for my cervix to heal, then we'd be benched longer than November - but I'm gonna be optimistic.

In the meantime, I'm going to get a memorial tattoo. Has anyone done anything similar or what have you done, if anything?
  • 1) Hi everyone. I'm Lindsey. I'm 28 and near Boston. I lost my baby at a hair under 13 weeks, found out at my 12 week scan right after it happened. Had my D&E on May 20. So far, nothing has come back positive as to 'why' this happened- chromosomally my baby was a healthy little boy. My OB said there's a good chance we won't find out what went wrong, which I'm working on accepting.  

2) Physically, I'm doing great. My OB wants to send me for some anti phospholipid antibody testing, and she's ordered a HSG scan, but I'm not sure if I'll go through with the latter. I also need to check if my insurance will cover it, since I've 'only' had one loss. Isn't it great how insurance wants to get in the way of what our doctors order? Emotionally, I'm doing pretty good. There's definitely tough days, but I'm trying not to give in to self pity and anxiety- they could eat me up if I let them. It was tough seeing my dad the other day- he was so excited to be a grandpa and I can tell he's still dealing with what happened. 

3) I'm officially benched for two cycles by my OB (though I haven't gotten my period yet), and I'm okay with that. I want to let my body do its thing for a couple months, and I have some weight from the pregnancy I want to lose. Also, I applied to a job a couple weeks ago and they want me for it- professionally it would be a great move and a solid raise- so I might have to self-bench for a few more months so I can qualify for FMLA. Like @chloe97 said, you have to look for silver linings. 

4) Rave: Through all of this, I've been so happy with my OB. She's kind of a down to business type of lady, but she's been so compassionate and concerned for my wellbeing. I think she was also very surprised by my loss, and has been pretty aggressive in advocating for me.

GTKY: I have an adorable black cat named Loki sleeping on my lap as we speak. He's pretty great. I'd like to get him a buddy, but it makes it almost impossible to find an apartment around here. 
  • Welcome @lin0442 Sounds like we had our D&Es about the same time and were both about 12 weeks along. Glad to hear that you are doing okay with being benched. I think emotionally for me it's saving me from being a complete wreck. Not worrying about temping or OPKs or timing sex is keeping the crazies at bay. We are on the fence about starting treatment with an RE, but one benefit would be not having to deal with any of that. At least right now. I love my OBs too! She cried with me at my D&E followup. 
  • @chloe97 Thanks, and I'm sorry for your loss. As frustrating as it could be if I wanted to jump right back in to TTC (and I definitely feel like I want to sometimes), it's nice to kind of be forced to focus on yourself for a bit.

It's important to find some time to love myself and feel a sense of forgiveness towards my own body before TTC again. I know I didn't "do" anything wrong, but there's that horrible guilty feeling anyway, sometimes. Also, I think it will help both DH and I emotionally if we just return to no-pressure, just for us intimacy for a bit. 
  • @lin0442 I'm so sorry for your loss, but welcome to the board. I hear you on the insurance thing. My insurance plan documents have a paragraph in big bold letters that says "what your doctor determines is medically necessary may differ from what we determine medically necessary". AKA, they will deny coverage randomly (like my Rhogam shot before I miscarried!) because they don't want to pay for it. I absolutely loathe insurance companies. I'm so sorry you're having to fight your insurance too. It just adds insult to injury.
  • 1.) If you're new, introduce yourself.
    I'm Alicia! I'm 26 and a high school math teacher. My DH is a pharmacist. I had a m/c diagnosed at 6.5 weeks when I went to the OB because of bleeding (baby probably stopped growing at 5.5 weeks). I had a natural m/c and bled for a total of about 2 weeks. This was my first pregnancy. We had been actively trying for 3 months.

2.) How are you feeling (physically and/or emotionally)?
    Physically I feel completely fine now except that I have been eating my feelings and have gained a substantial amount of weight in the last month since my m/c. Emotionally I am all over the place. Today hit me really hard because it's Father's Day and I kept thinking about how I should be celebrating DH but instead we were both tiptoeing around what we had lost. I 'think' I might be close to ovulating and the thought of this first cycle coming to an end has made me feel a little better. I think it's something I really need for closure. 

3.) Why are you benched/ how long are you benched for?
    Natural miscarriage at 6.5 weeks (first signs started 4 weeks ago today). My OB suggested waiting 2 cycles before trying again. I'm somewhere in cycle one though I'm not quite sure where. As I mentioned above I think I'm close to ovulating, so that would be nice. I also need to get CD21 testing once we're trying again because my progesterone was incredibly low for both draws in my pregnancy and my OB wants to investigate whether I have low progesterone as a whole or just low progesterone for this pregnancy because it wasn't viable.

4.) Rants/Raves/Questions?
    DH and I have been considering trying in cycle 2 rather than waiting that extra month. We have a few reasons why we want to but at the same time I feel like I shouldn't go against doctors orders. If I did and something happened again I would feel immense guilt. I was early in my pregnancy and he didn't have any specific reasons for the 2 month vs 1 month wait, it's just his professional opinion that 2 is the best. We need to talk to him again before we make our decision because either way we need him to know what we've decided so we can get the testing done that we need. 

GTKY In honor of our new lab/terrier puppy Ernie- tell me about your fur babies.
    This is Miles! He's an adorable 1 year old sheltie who loves to bark at things, play fetch, and just generally be energetic and crazy!

**Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Me: 26 DH: 24
    Married: November 2015  <3
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    Computer Hope
  • @AliciaGoose I'm so sorry for your loss and that you are here. Hopefully your testing goes smoothly and you are able to get back to TTC soon. 

I might be benching myself this cycle. I'm having very bad stabby back pains that I think may be related to reflux. I've had my gall bladder removed before, so it's not that. Any time I've ever had bad GI symptoms, it always hurts my back. I don't anticipate O until Friday-ish, and I'm going to give it a couple days before calling it for sure. My whole thing is I'm afraid to take a reflux medication (PPI) even though most are category B, and more concerned that if this is more serious than reflux, I would hate to be pregnant and have to deal that. I'm bummed. If I'm not better by midweek I'm calling my GI guy. This sucks. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida Thank you! And also FX you don't have to bench yourself this month. I hope it clears up by midweek so you don't have to go to the GI!
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • @chloe97 - add me to the 'benched for the summer' list! September can't come soon enough!

My update is I met with my OB last week just to check in (and because she is awesome). Originally she wanted me to wait until after my trip to New Orleans to TTC because of Zika - but that was back in March and now she says NOLA is probably fine. Trip is next week. But we are still waiting because I have a 3 week trip to Oregon planned for July plus another work trip first week of August... which would make August the earliest we would try. So we will probably wait until September so I can not be due before June of 2017 so I can teach my fav class. I have such mixed feelings about this and have an internal debate with myself daily - but my OB and everyone who knows me says to wait because the class brings me such joy and happiness - it truly got me through the hell of March and April for me (my grandfather passed away a month after my 2nd D&C)

She also said Hawaii is totally acceptable place to travel so we just booked 5 days at Aulani in September. We are milking this summer of not being pregnant for all it has! Ha!
    ~~ married 8.11.07
  • @ladipale consider yourself added to the list! Wait Hawaii is an option? I thought I read they already had a Zika outbreak? If this is true, I gotta start saving $ for a winter trip. I got an extra 10 days of vacation this year and H and I were complaint that it sucked we couldn't go anywhere warm this winter.

I say enjoy your summer as much as you can. Your trips sound like so much fun! 
  • @chloe97, Hawaii had one case that someone acquired while traveling in South Or Central America. No places in the US (other than Puerto Rico) currently have local transmission of Zika. That may change as we go into the summer months. I know Hawaii has had Dengue outbreaks on the Big Island,which is carried by the same mosquito, but they don't currently have Zika.

I saw an interesting map recently that color coded how often the Zika mosquito was found in certain places in the US. Southern Flordia had the highest occurrence of the mosquito. I liked it because it showed that although, yes, the mosquito has been found in much of the southern US, certain pockets of the country would be higher risk if Zika shows up here. 
    Hi, I'm Stephanie. I posted an intro somewhere on here, but I'll give the cliffs notes version- miscarriage on 5/19 at 17 wks with my first (a boy). No genetic abnormalities for it, most likely caused by a huge hemorrhage in my placenta that wasn't seen on ultrasound. after I birthed the placenta and pathology looked at it they noted this. 

Now that it's a month out I'm feeling emotionally better, but I still have my moments. Toying with making an appt with a social worker recommended by my dr just to have someone to help me through things. Physically I'm getting over a prolonged bladder infection and subsequent yeast infection (blech).

self-benched until after I have my first period which should be here in the next wk or so- I went back to temping and using opks after I stopped bleeding. 

Rave- I work in a school and I'm now officially off for the summer!!

• @Wishilivedinflorida sorry about your GI problems! I've had problems with basically bowel paralysis/insane constipation since about Christmas now and I'm on a med while not TTC but am also concerned about how it will be while TTC and pregnant. There is a safe (but less effective/more expensive option) at least. But what I wanted to say was that my GI doc said that sometimes people who have these problems before pregnancy actually see them go into remission when pregnant! No guarantees, of course, but it's a nice thought to hang onto, perhaps ;) Hopefully you can get it under control soon, though!
  • https://www.healthmap.org/zika/#timeline

Someone shared this Zika link with me and I have found it quite helpful.

• Ack @Wishilivedinflorida just read in the check-in that it sounds like more than bad reflux :( Sorry to hear that and I'm thinking of you with hopes they can get you sorted quickly and it's nothing *too* serious. Hugs <3
  • @crazypt2285 - great map! thanks for sharing. 
    ~~ married 8.11.07
  • lol we do sushi about once every two weeks, too, so I will savor that as well, especially that wild salmon sashimi! I do drink here and there but it just hasn't had that appeal lately. Honestly trying to find anything to keep going or be excited about til September, but it's hard!
  • Guys, AF is finally rearing her ugly head after my last D&C and of course I started thinking that maybe we shouldn't wait and we should just get at it this month. DH had to talk some sense into me. Our Dr hasn't benched us. I just want to get more testing done and I'm thinking about starting Clomid to get a better egg. 

Im with you guys, I'm eating deli meat and sushi like it's going outta style. Drinking all the wine too. I'm probably going to limit myself to 1 glass a week after TTC again. I'm a pretty big wine drinker and I'm worrying about the effect it's having on meiosis of my eggs, given that I had 2 chromosomal losses- one that was Triploidy- a condition that is caused by improper meiosis.
  • That part of my comment was removed. I too had my baby cremated, did not know it was offending. Sorry.
    Married August 2012
    Me:28 DH:31
    Diagnosed with Diminished Ovarian Reserve March 2015
    IUI # 1 May 2015 - BFN
    December 2015 - Natural BFP - Our Angel baby Mila Grace went to heaven @ 21 weeks on 4/21/16 (D&E) due to Triploidy
    Currently waiting to start TTAL
  • @chloe97 hooray for AF arriving finally, though I know it can be one of those bittersweet things. I hope you can get your testing done now and feel more comfortable with a plan moving forward <3:)

As it turns out, it's CD1 for me, too, which means I guess I did O around CD10 and is the shortest cycle I've had in a long time. Oh well, LP still seems a good length so I'm trying not to worry. *Only* two more cycles before burning the bench!!! Although DH said some weird stuff after he'd had a few drinks last week so I'm feeling a bit nervous about it again. I hate that he always tries to talk about the important stuff when we're not sober! He said conflicting things so it's hard to know what to think lol

I think I need a break from the *excitement* of moving/unpacking today; I'm really feeling drained. I bought myself two gorgeous nail polishes yesterday so I might play around with those. You all have me wanting to start drinking wine again! Sometimes/some kinds give me bad headaches. I also never know which to pick so tend to stick to one I know doesn't give me a headache but that's boring lol Any tips?
  • @chloe97 Yay for AF! I totally understand wanting to jump back in, it's hard not to! But I'm glad your DH reminded you of your reasons for waiting. 

Also, after wine, deli meet was the first thing I enjoyed post mc! I thought I would have run for the sushi but apparently I missed salami more! That being said I hadn't been eating sushi much while TTC so I guess once you're out of the habit you don't get the craving as much. Now I want it though. 
    **Formerly @aliciabhen**
    Computer Hope
  • @chloe97 - everytime I start a new cycle I think, "well - why not just try?" and DH has to talk sense into me... (overtime = 2 times so far) 
    honestly, sometimes I think I'm doing it 'wrong' by waiting a few more months.
    ~~ married 8.11.07

We lost our most recent baby at 13 weeks and 3 days. My 5th loss total, and we have 3 live children. Several surgeries, some unexpected health complications, and 3 months later, and here we are, being told that we can start TTC again in August, although with some more urgency attached to it, as they would like us to conceive as quickly as possibly so that they can go ahead and remove all of my lady parts after I give birth. If we don't conceive somewhat quickly, they would like us to consider the option of having everything removed, baby or not. We are devastated and praying that this next try results in a healthy baby very soon. I need to feel like I'm doing something until August, so I'm going to hang out on the Bump, and hopefully we are blessed with our 4th and final living child in 2017. 

I'll be honest, I feel horrible emotionally. Physically still recovering from my last operation, which is slow and difficult. I just am very sad and heartbroken and don't know what to think right now. 

Benched due to surgery, until August cycle. 

Just want to have sex with my husband again and I want to be pregnant. 

GTKY In honor of our new lab/terrier puppy Ernie- tell me about your fur babies.

We have a French Bulldog and an Australian Shepherd. 
    Mommy of 3 little ones, 6 losses Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @CTRMommyof4 I am so sorry you're going through this! I'll keep my fingers crossed for quick success! DH and I haven't done the deed for about 2.5 months, so I get that part...here's hoping for a positive outcome! Welcome, but I'm sorry you're here. Hugs to you!
  • Thank you so much, I really appreciate it!!! HUGS
    Mommy of 3 little ones, 6 losses Lilypie Pregnancy tickers