Multiples

Homebirth with twins

My husband and I are expecting twins in a little less than 2 months.  we are planning on having a home birth with the twins.  I was just wondering if anyone else has done this?  This will be my second home birth, I had my first home birth with my second baby last June and had a great experience.  

Re: Homebirth with twins

• I haven't had a home birth. But this will
    be my fourth deliver and I'm hoping to find a midwife to do it. It would be my first homebirth. But it's very rare in our area for multiples to be born at home. Is it common where you are?  I'm struggling with anxiety over it. So I have hesitated to commit to a midwife yet. 
  • I don't think I could do it. Even with just one baby. My biggest fear is one baby comes out vaginally and the other has issues and needs a c-section. Too many medical questions or issues that scare me to even think about it. Best of luck to you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • In my area it is very discouraged with multiple births. A lot can happen, with both you and the babies. Personally I could never do it, I delivered vaginally but it was in an OR at the request of my OB just in case a c section was needed for baby B. Keep us updated on your experience though! 
  • Theliops said:
    In my area it is very discouraged with multiple births. A lot can happen, with both you and the babies. Personally I could never do it, I delivered vaginally but it was in an OR at the request of my OB just in case a c section was needed for baby B. Keep us updated on your experience though! 
    This, exactly. I know I would never be able to do a home birth, that's just not the type of person I am, especially with multiples.
    I needed a c section at 35w5d due to pre-e. Had I gone to 38 weeks as planned, we would have attempted vaginal only if twin A was head down and it would have been in an operating room because things can turn so quickly 
  • Please make sure you have a good back up plan in case something goes wrong. I hope all goes really well and safely but my personal experience needed life-saving intervention. My girls were born head first, then breech. They used an ultrasound to deliver the second because she got herself in a difficult position. I lost 6.5 pints of blood and needed 2 blood transfusions to feel well again.

I'm not saying this to scare you, honestly. Home births are incredible and empowering and there are quite a few where I live. There are higher chances of things going wrong with twins which I'm sure you've come across in your research. Make sure you have planned in this case. 

Good luck! I hope it all goes well for you 
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• wmam35wmam35 member
    Would you be able to deliver at a birthing center that is affiliated with a hospital just in case there were complications?  I had a c-section with my twins, and I don't admittedly know a lot about birthing centers but they seem to me to be set up with a home birth atmosphere (at least the one near us is) so maybe that could be a good compromise?  Then, if something were to happen, you would be close to a hospital.  Good luck with whatever you choose to do!
  • DrD30DrD30 member
    I would really discourage a home birth in general but especially with multiples.  At most centers you can have a midwife come to the hospital.  I had to have a C-section because twin a was footling breech.  My son had a very unplanned resuscitation and stay in the NICU with a CPAP machine to help him breathe.  Had I had a home birth things could have gone very badly.  I think that in this instance it's so important to ensure the safety and health of your babies and can enjoy your time at home with them.

Most of the stories of home birth are great but there are instances where it goes wrong.  While in the NICU we met a family who's kiddo will have life long brain damage due to a home birth gone wrong.  Midwives are amazing but don't have all the tools needed to help a baby when they really need it.  

I encourage you to read this editorial that shows what can happen with a home birth when things don't go perfectly.

https://www.popsugar.com/moms/What-Home-Birth-Like-36487613
  • mirnbmirnb member
    I had a midwife deliver my 3rd baby and it was a great experience but I'm thankful I didn't go that route (wasn't allowed to) with my twins….carried them to 38 weeks, water broke, both head down…first baby delivered beautifully and 2nd went in to distress very quickly…without the drs assistance in the O.R. and readily available treatment from the paediatrician things could have turned out a lot differently. 
  • Hi there! I just found out today that I'm having twins! My last two pregnancies I had great homebirths! This time however I will be going to the hospital. My mom is a homebirth midwife, and has delivered twins at home once, and still doesn't recommend that I do it. She actually refused that I even consider it. I'm sad that I will miss out on that, but I know its what's best for my family. 
    Hoping for a successful homebirth for you!! I wish I were that brave!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My daughter - my 1st was the picture perfect pregnancy.  She was footling breach and we had no clue until my OB broke my water and her foot and cord started to slip out.  She wasn't breathing when she was delivered via emergency c-section and I was 38+5.  I am very uncomfortable with the though of home births for many reasons possibly because of how quickly our birth changed out of our control and we also live in a very rural area where if we had needed help quickly we wouldn't have gotten it in time.
  • Did you end up having a home birth?
    ***********************************************************************************************
    #1 born 8/21/14, #2 & 3 (identical) due 9/27/16

• MangomamaFLMangomamaFL member
    edited April 2017
    I had a successful  home birth w/ twins.  They were both head down.  They were full term (one day shy of 40 weeks).
    BabyFetus Ticker

Birth is safe as life gets - Harriette Hartigan

• @MangomamaFL That's awesome, do you have a birth story anywhere?? 
    Im 33 weeks with di/di twins and planning a homebirth!
  • I was wondering if there were birth stories for some of the mamas who were hoping for home birth!  I now find myself in a similar situation!