Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Newborn - eyes not focusing, rolling, crossing

my twins are only 2 weeks old (born at 38w, both over 6 lbs, no issues found in hospital) but we already see a vast difference in eye coordination/ focus/ cognitive development/ etc between my boy and girl. The girl has good eye control, is focused and will look at our face and seems "with it" and that things are registering. The boys eyes almost never move together, he wont really look at our faces, he gives this startled/ bug eye look most of the time, and doesnt seem to be "there" cognitively. I understand that its very early to be making any assumptions but in our gut something seems wrong. We saw a nurse earlier this week but she only said to wait and see. So We have a doc appt friday and a call into a major childrens hospital in out area. 

However, i wanted to ask this group if anyone else experienced this at all and if so, was it something their baby grew out of or did it turn out to be some cognitive or visual issue. Just looking for some hope that this turns out to be normal or at least not something serious.  

thanks in advance for any comments/ responses! 

Re: Newborn - eyes not focusing, rolling, crossing

• Options
    Its pretty normal. It has happened with both my kids. It seems to even out around 3 months.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you sarcasm101! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This question reminded me of an article I read here on the bump. A quick search pulled it right up!

To summarize for you though, it could be an optical illusion due to baby's flatter nose bridge, wider set eyes and extra skin folds on the corners of baby's eyes. If it doesn't change/ improve in a few months then it could be something to worry about.

https://www.thebump.com/a/newborn-has-crossed-eyes
  • Options
    My 4 month old did this for quite a while, I'm thinking she stopped around 3 months. Not all babies do this, my 2 boys never did. 
  • Options
    Hmmm, so it sounds like it can be normal but I'd still talk to their doctor at your next appointment. No newborns can focus well, but my son's eyes always moved together. My friend's son's eyes didn't and she was advised to get him checked by an optometrist at 6 months because that's the earliest they usually do vision assessments. He was prescribed glasses then. So maybe if it resolves within the first few months it's ok but if you keep noticing it over the months I would definitely get him checked out at 6 months. 
  • Options
    Normal!
  • Options
    tbh33tbh33 member
    It is completely normal at this point.  However, at 4 months if his eyes are still wondering/ crossing/ etc, definitely mention it to his pediatrician.  My daughter had to get glasses at 6-7 months of age because her eyes kept wondering. Her pediatrician wasn't too concerned at 4 months, but he wanted to go ahead and refer us to an eye doctor because he knew it would take us almost 2 months to get in.  When she went for her 6 month check up though, he was more concerned and glad we already had an appointment set up.