Pregnant after 35

Weekly Check in 6/10

This is a weekly check in for anyone pregnant over 35. If you are new to the board please feel free to jump right in!

How far along are you? 

How are you feeling?

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them?

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)

Rants/Raves/Questions:

GTKY: If you could change something in the world, what would it be?

Re: Weekly Check in 6/10

• BernieRaeBernieRae member
    edited June 2016
    How far along are you? 24 weeks 3 days 

How are you feeling? Pretty good. I was definitely feeling my belly in the way while getting dressed this morning. 

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them? Yes. I mainly feel them anywhere below my belly button, but I've recently felt a few above it which was fun. 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) I'm on my way to my 24 week appt. 

Rants/Raves/Questions: I'm excited to be off  work for the next couple of weeks. I hope to get a lot of pre baby stuff done such as organizing the room, getting rid of personal stuff that I don't need and doing some more reading. 
    Editing to add a rant: coughing people and people who smell like ashtrays on the bus. Yucky yuck yuck. 

This is a heavy question! I could go mad trying to think of the one thing that would have the most impact. I'll just go with ensuring access to clean and healthy water for all. 

• How far along are you? 26w 4d

How are you feeling? Good! Hot! It's 97 and humid here today and I feel grossly sweaty. I hope it doesn't stay this hot all summer. Otherwise, my poor kid is going to have to live inside and/or at the pool (the second option wouldn't be bad, I guess)!

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them? I am! Not all the time--the anterior placenta is still making the kicks that I feel far less frequent than they were with my son. But I feel her down low a lot and up on my right side. Her hands AND her feet were all up on the upper right side when we had our U/S on Tuesday--she was in a "pike" position--so I'm guessing she just likes that spot!

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Updated about Tuesday's appointment (which was good!) in last week's check in. Next up is a regular OB appointment a week from Monday.

Rants/Raves/Questions: I'm so glad to be closing in on the 3rd tri! I don't want to rush this pregnancy--I want to really enjoy it--but I just went and held a friend's newborn (less than 24 hours old) and the desire to have my baby in my arms is strong! But not yet. I want her to bake as long as possible!

GTKY: If you could change something in the world, what would it be? Whoa. That is a hard question. The first thing that popped into my head is that I would like people to just be nice/considerate/respectful of each other. I feel like if we got that figured out, we could make a whole lot of progress on other things!
  • Loading the player...
  • Woo hoo! Love the weekly check in! Hoping for lots of happy healthy reports!

How far along are you? 36 weeks 2 days

How are you feeling? So many feelings: tired, excited, nervous, happy, content, ready to be mama! Man!

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them? Baby Amy is pretty much taking up my whole belly at this stage so depending on where she is leaning I will feel kicks up under either side of my ribs, or towards the front of my belly. She moves a lot, but it is not always consistent: some days she moves more than others..

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?): I had my first weekly appt. on Wednesday and learned that Amy is basically in position: head down and resting fairly low in my pelvis. She currently weighs just about 6lbs! I am not effaced and am barely dilated despite having BH contractions fairly regularly over the last week. I am waiting for the results of my Strep B test, and have my next weekly appointment scheduled for next Thursday. She could come anytime between now and the middle of July (that's when I'm 42 weeks and my due date is July 6th)

Rants/Raves/Questions: A HUGE RANT: I am planning to leave my job but have not given notice yet as my scheduled last day will be June 29th, so I plan on giving 2 weeks next week. In the meantime, we "hired" someone to replace me "during my leave." First, I wanted this woman because she was looking for a full time position similar to mine, I liked her resume and she seemed like she would be a good fit for the position, I have been training her for a week and I feel like I've made a mistake, I'll come back to that tho. Second, I write "hired" in quotes because despite the fact that my boss wanted her to come in and train with me, they had never settled on a rate of pay, and she wasn't officially hired. I was not told this and when she started asking me some probing questions about my job, I find out that I am training her, but she is still not sure about taking the position. 

WTF? First of all, way for my boss to not communicate with me... I definitely gave this woman more information than she needed on my assumption that she was actually hired. Second of all, way to waste my time and energy to train this person, who is rather nosy and high maintenance when she may not actually be staying on to cover for me. I am super drained because this woman has less experience working with older adults than she let on and has really needed me to hold her hand. Today, I straight up left her alone to figure stuff out on her own which I probably should have done from the beginning of the week. OY.

I am also planning to give notice on Monday and am super nervous about it.

Hmmmm, I agree with @BernieRae  that IS a big question! I would love for everyone to have a loving, kind, caring, supportive network of family and friends that they can all count on. I know that not everyone is fortunate enough to have such a network for various reasons. I wish everyone could feel safe, protected and loved.
  • @lillebowski23--I'm so sorry about the work situation! That is SO frustrating. One small silver lining...maybe frustration will make leaving easier?! But still. They should not have done that. 
  • How far along are you? 33 weeks tomorrow

How are you feeling? Between the swollen feet/ankles and the BH contractions, I need to take it easy. But I have a lot of painting to do this weekend, so I'll start taking it easy on Monday. ...Or once the nursery is organized.

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them? She hasn't reached my rib cage yet, but she's close. The hard kicks to my sides hurt.  :/

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Had an appt today. All is still well.

Rants/Raves/Questions: A friend gave me three bins of baby clothes and I'll be converting the guest room to a nursery next week. And my shower is next weekend.

GTKY: If you could change something in the world, what would it be? I would end all violence and the urge to take something (of any kind) that doesn't belong to you.

TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 2/19/15  •  MMC found at 9 wks  •  D&E at 11 wks (age 36)
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)
    BFP 11/18/15  •  DD born at 41 weeks <3(age 37/38)

TTC#2 since May 2017
    BFP 10/18/17  •  MMC found at 8 wks  •  Misoprostal at 10.5 wks (age 39)

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 5/07/18  •  MMC found at 10.5 wks  •  D&E at 11.5 wks 
    •  Testing showed it was a girl with Trisomy 22. (age 39/40)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• How far along are you? Almost 5 weeks

How are you feeling? Pretty good.  Some mood swings and cramping but that's about it.  Oh and pizza I'm definitely feeling pizza in my future. It's Friday!

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them? Not yet. 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?). My hcg results came back today at 230 which I'm told is where they should be at this time.  I'll take it! 

Rants/Raves/Questions:  hmm nothing specific today.   
  • @lillebowski23 That is LAME! so sorry you have to deal with that. @CarrieandRoy I hope the BH let up for you soon and hobbit feet stay at bay while you are painting this weekend. 

How far along are you? 27 weeks eeeeeeccccckkkkkkkkk

How are you feeling? Feeling big today and it is humid here so I am feeling some swelling in relation to that. We are off to the bay area tomorrow for one last trip before baby arrives! I'm not a fan of flying pregnant and I'm on southwest and I have a25 and my DH has b37 so he won't be able to put my bag up for me, short pregnant lady does not want to do it by myself. wahhhh! whining over.

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them?
     For a little while baby moved transverse and and facing inwards so I felt the movements a lot less, it was a little concerning. But.....baby is back to kicking my bladder/vagina and rectum. Yipee! I was trying to go on a walk yesterday and almost couldn't move at points when the kicks in my bladder were so strong. 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)
    28 week appointment next week and I have sooooooo many questions for my midwife. It's gonna be a long appointment! I am also driving about 35-45 min to her birth center instead of her coming to my house this time. The upside is the shopping outlets are down in that area and I am going to make a trip to destination maternity.

Rants/Raves/Questions: I have been watching "more business of being born" and it is fantastic! My favorite episode is #2 where a bunch of celebrities talk about their birth stories. Admittedly it is very pro-home birth but really fun to watch. It is on netflix if anyone wants to watch, I highly recommend it. 

Sorry for such a deep question guys
     oppppsss :open_mouth:  

But... what I would change would be that all beings everywhere have/experience true inner peace, and I feel like that would spiral outwards to solve many many problems!

Also I would love for health care to be humanized and to be taken out of the hands of insurance companies and into the realm of pro-preventive medicine, pro-healthy living, pro-education, so that all people in the states could successfully take charge of their health (whatever that means for each and every individual.) I wish we could have supportive environments where people don't need to go to the emergency room in order to get a prescription filled, or have more options that a pill or surgery to fix health problems when there are legitimate alternative options that can solve problems but are offered by non-md's. And while I am at at I wish that women could have the prenatal care and birth they desired that would be covered by health insurance no matter what choice they make. 
  • How far along are you?  28w 4d

How are you feeling?  Pretty decent today - just tired (no nap today). 

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them?  Yes!  Everywhere!  Both babies are head down, so I feel kicks mostly between my belly button and ribs (I have a pretty long torso, so I don't get a ton of kicks in the ribs thankfully).  I don't feel baby boy as much on the left.  He tends to kick the membrane between them or toward my back.  

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?)  Had my OB appointment yesterday.  She wrote me a letter to be off NICU shifts, so I'm doing all office/administrative stuff (for example, I'm working on coordinating orientation for a new NNP, writing a few proposals, etc) until I run out of stuff to do.  I mentioned that I was feeling quite itchy so she drew LFTs and bile salts to rule out cholestasis (please don't let me have that!) as well as my hemoglobin.  I had a growth ultrasound too.  The babies were 85th and 75th percentile, but that was based partially on their gigantic heads - we make large noggins in both our families, poor kids!  My next appointment is at 32 weeks and will include my first BPP, NST, and another growth ultrasound.  I'm going to be there all day!

Rave: I'm not sure if it's the stress of work being taken off my shoulders or what but I've only had ONE contraction today!  It's amazing.  I can't believe it.  Hoping this is the new normal, but I'm not going to hold my breath!

GTKY: If you could change something in the world, what would it be?  All children would be treated the way kids should be treated, including but not limited to: no maternal drug, alcohol, or tobacco use during pregnancy, no child abuse or neglect, and no children going without food, medicine, or needed healthcare.  The number of mothers using both illicit drugs and prescription opioids during pregnancy is skyrocketing and I just feel so bad for all these kids.  Seeing babies withdrawing from narcotics is the worst thing I have to deal with in my job.  

*** Child & current pregnancy mentioned ***
    Me - 41 (PCOS), Hubby - 43 (healthy)
    7/2013 - Sweet baby girl born (Clomid + TI)
    3/2014 - TTC #2, return to RE 7/2014
    12/2015: IVF #1 transferred two great looking embryos - BFP!
    First ultrasound: TWO beautiful little heartbeats!!
    Harmony: negative; level 2: babies look great and are boy/girl! :) 
  • How far along are you? 31 weeks and 2 days. Yesterday was exactly 2 months (by date) before my due date. Yikes!

How are you feeling? Pretty good. Starting to get really tired in the late afternoon/early afternoon. Also noticing the puffy face thing happening. Sigh.

Are you feeling kicks? Where do you feel them? YES! He is wild in there! Lots of kicks and jabs on the sides. It's so exciting. 

Any baby news (tests results/scans/upcoming appointments?) Next appointment this Wednesday. Have to see the regular OB for them to go over the Gestational Diabetes thing to see if I need medication and if I can stay with the midwives (I have to transfer to doctors if I need medication).

Rants/Raves/Questions: I seem to be doing okay with the whole GD thing. All my levels have been below 130 for the past week except one yesterday, which was right at 130. Fasting level is supposed to be below 95 and my latest few have been 90 or 91 so I'm starting to get a bit worried. The higher fasting levels seem to correspond with late night snacks so I guess I need to get a better control on that (I love the late night snacking!!). I'd really like to avoid medication and be able to stay with the midwives if possible. Fingers crossed!

Had a wonderful hike with DH yesterday. My friend gave me a belly band and boy did it make a difference. It felt great to get some good exercise and fresh air but boy was it rough at times, especially walking straight up hill and in the heat! But we took lots of breaks, drank lots of water and made it to the top and were rewarded with gorgeous views (and a yummy packed lunch!). We also saw a couple hiking with their 3-month-old and it gave us inspiration that we'll be able to hike with baby soon...although when he's 3 months it will middle of November here...

No more war! And all people being nice in general. Mean, selfish, thoughtless people make me so sad. Yesterday we saw a park ranger cleaning graffiti off of the rocks. Seriously?!?! What's wrong with people!?!
    ME: 36 (PCOS), DH: excellent SA
    NTNP since 11/12, actively trying since 8/14
    m/c @ 7w (4/22/14), m/c @ 6w (11/19/14)
    11/15: Letrozole, Ovidrel, TI = BFP!!!
    Beta #1(14dpo)=349, Beta #2(18dpo)=2,805
    12/17/15: Got to see the heartbeat (105bpm)!
    1/25/16: NT scan = normal (HB=163bpm)
    EDD: 8/10/16 
    8/8/16: Baby boy born @ 12:25am, 8lbs, 20.5 inches
    5/18/17: BFP!!! (11dpo)
    Beta #1(12dpo)=176.4, Beta #2(15dpo)=607.1
  • @jilligan14 I visited a burial monument in Ireland that is about 5,000 years old and it is full of graffiti. Names carved all over the inside.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    9/5/18 Diagnosed with diminished ovarian reserve (4-5 follicles, one ovary had none and was very atrophied)

RE says the low egg count is likely causing my recurrent pregnancy loss. Less eggs results in more aneuploidy.

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)
    BFP 5/11/19  •  Fraternal twins  •  MMC found at 10w5d (Baby A 6w, Baby B 10w)  •  Misoprostal at 11 weeks (age 41)

• @Vastra -- I don't know about everyone else, but my boobs were only sore in the beginning. So that might go away. There will be PLENTY of other symptoms to be had, though.

And I'm glad you switched doctors. She sounds awful.
    TTC#1 since Jan 2015
    BFP 8/29/15
      •  CP (age 37)

TTC#2 since May 2017

BFP 2/16/18
      •  CP (age 39)
    BFP 4/13/18
      •  CP (age 39)

BFP 9/24/18  • 
    CP (age 40)