Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sleepless night, please help

Maybe someone can give me an advice, I ran out of ideas. Usually we sleep pretty good, but for some reason this night was horrible and I can't understand what's wrong. He just wouldn't sleep no matter what I do. I tried: rocking, putting him next to me, mamaroo, pacifiers... I thought it might be gas so I tried; massage, gripe water, gas drops, windi rectal tube. I fed him over and over again and changed pampers. He doesn't have a fever. He calms down for a moment and as soon as I make it to bed cryes again. My period started suddenly last night, could it affect milk? Or what is it? We are breastfeeding. Thanks P.S. He is 5 weeks old 

Re: Sleepless night, please help

• It's so hard to tell what's going on when they are so young. It could have even been something like a headache or just generally wasn't feeling well, since it was just a sudden thing last night.. Do you swaddle?
  • Yes, he saw in a woombie, bag for newborns 
  • Loading the player...
  • We had the woombie and dd didn't see sleep well. We changed to the Halo Sleep Sack and it worked better for when she needed to be swaddled. Could have been a growths spurt or just a fussy night. At the beginning they don't have much pattern.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Check fingers and toes for a hair tourniquet. Check his nails and clip them if needed as he may have scratched himself. 
  • Week 5 is a wonder week and can also overlap with a growth spurt. Peak fussiness is also around 6 weeks. Unfortunately your LO may be hitting all of these at once; ours did and it wasn't fun! It does pass though. 
  • Sometimes baby just don't sleep well. Just remind yourself that this too shall pass. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• Week 5 is a wonder week and can also overlap with a growth spurt. Peak fussiness is also around 6 weeks. Unfortunately your LO may be hitting all of these at once; ours did and it wasn't fun! It does pass though. 
    Yes, ours went from easy and sleeping great at night to a mess starting around 5 weeks. Unfortunately, it lasted til about 7 weeks then started getting better. She's still a crappy napper but sleeps good at night. 
  • Sometimes baby just don't sleep well. Just remind yourself that this too shall pass. 
    This. It will just keep happening over and over too. Sleep goes up and down, ebbs and flows. Hell, my 4 year old still has rough nights here and there.
  • SGC29SGC29 member
    My babies were all crap sleepers. They loved the boob and wanted to comfort suck at night, all night. Sometimes babies just fight sleep no matter what you try. If you've tried everything the only thing left is to ride it out and remind yourself as poster stated above "this too shall pass". Their sleep cycles are constantly changing in the first year. At least for the majority of babies.

I will say when my period reurned, I did notice it took some adjusting for my babies to get use to my milk. My supply changed for a bit, took awhile to adjust. That is a possibility. 
  • Growing pains maybe