February 2016 Moms

White noise for baby: how are you doing it?

For those of you who like to play baby white noise during nap and sleeping times, how are you doing that? Do you have a white noise machine? Or wireless speakers or something?

I've been blasting it via my phone or tablet, but would kind of like to...you know...have use of my devices while baby is asleep. I'm leaning towards getting a wireless speaker and blasting white noise via an mp3 file. Then we can also use the speaker for other stuff. I'm eyeing the UE Boom 2. :)

Re: White noise for baby: how are you doing it?

• We usually use a little sound machine . It's nothing fancy . As baby girl has gotten older she doesn't really need it though . Here's a pic of what we use we got this one because it can travel and it was only $10
  • Nice, @mrsc12414

I have never seen anything like that here! Then again, I don't know the Dutch term for "white noise machine".
  • Loading the player...
  • We just use a radio turned to a static AM station. Its nothing fancy and does the job! For my toddler we use my old laptop and have a white noise site on there we use, so I know what you mean about wanting to use the device while they are sleeping I haven't uaed my laptop in 2.5 years. I think thats what swayed me to just do it simple with this LO. 
  • We've also been using an iPad app and it's kind of
    irritating not being able to use the iPad (though I've gotten great at online shopping on my phone :D ). I have a few friends who swear by this one and it's on my list to buy after we move but it's pricey so we'll see:

Marpac DOHM-DS, Natural White Noise (actual fan inside) Sound Machine, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HD0ELFK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6jTvxb6TWGZPG
  • smn14smn14 member
    I use YouTube white noise. It's 8 hours long which is good! 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rkFXBlN2-Hs
  • I just used a box fan because it also kept the room cool. I didn't want my LO to only be able to sleep with a white noise machine 
  • We bought a machine off of amazon for our first- now we have two bc we ordered the same one for baby !  It's small so we have thrown it In The suitcase anytime we have traveled. I think it's called Lectrofan or something and I think we paid about $40 for it. 
  • She's still in the RnP and it has white noise on the controls. If we are mobile, we have the travel one that the 1st poster showed. I've used an app on my phone and PnP ones as well. My parents have a HoMedics SoundSpa and it was much louder and had really nice sounds and filled the room nicely. I'm thinking of buying one like theirs just because I liked it even for us as adults lol
  • haylyrhaylyr member
    We use the HoMedics Sound Spa the PP mentioned above - $18.99 at Target. It's small (easy to travel with), and has both plug-in and battery capabilities. It plays white noise, ocean, rain, etc. It also has two timer settings. We (and the LO) love it! 
  • mrsc12414 said:
    We usually use a little sound machine . It's nothing fancy . As baby girl has gotten older she doesn't really need it though . Here's a pic of what we use we got this one because it can travel and it was only $10
    I have these but the batteries die quick for me. DD is in her crib so I have a white noise that plugs into the wall and have it on all night for her. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • esca18esca18 member
    Homemedics at Bed Bath & Beyond with coupon. Have used it myself for 10 years even before kids because I am a light sleeper.
  • I use a travel sleep sheep for LO with the sound of a babbling brook and birds singing playing. Not sure if it helps, but my hope is that he will learn to associate the sound with sleep and will sleep easier with it in different places/at different times.
  • We just play a lullaby CD every night while she falls asleep.   It is old school, we had to go find a CD player at Walmart (they still make them!).   If she does wake up in the middle of the night, I give her a paci and turn the CD back on and she is out.  When traveling we will play something on you tube for about 45 minutes for her.  
  • There is this little owl nightlight and white noise machine we got from amazon. It plays white noise and music, so every little bit I change what it plays and have it on super low so she doesn't just get used to one sound. She likes it it seems, we also only use it at night.
  • We have the Dohm white noise sound machine and love it. I even fall asleep to it now!
  • I downloaded relax melodies app for my iPhone and iPad. You can combine different noises. I picked three different ones and this combo is what she prefers and will make her calm down and fall asleep almost instantly.