May 2016 Moms

Car Seat Insallation

2»

Re: Car Seat Insallation

• I know we are talking infant seats but double check your manual and look up any car recalls too. The NHTSA recommends going off of the latch and using the seatbelt once over a combined weight. (https://thecarseatlady.com/latch-weight-limits/). Subaru sent me a notice of this as a sort of recall when this came out. So, my 4 yr olds britax goes to 70lbs and he is only 40 but with the weight of the car seat included the seat belt is safer than latch. Something to keep in mind if you have another kid or for the future. I found our convertible seat to be fairly easy to install with the seat belt.
  • Also, double check after the installation to make sure that your certified car seat technician actually knows what he/she is doing, too. My SIL works in pediatric emergency services and is certified, but when I went to double check everything, the car seat (that we have set up in the center) moves side to side way too far and way too easily. Taking it to a local hospital this week to meet with another certified technician to hopefully correct the problem or move it to the passenger side. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • In regards to not having a center latch system, from what I read in the car seat manual, it said as long as the latches were at least 11" apart then you can use them in the middle. I installed our base in my Focus and it didn't have center latches so I used one from each of the side seats (our Focus is a 2014). In our Pacifica, it was the same thing, no center latch so I used the side latches. Both vehicles have a center latch system for forward facing car seats, so I am pretty sure that's how it's supposed to work because it doesn't seem like they would neglect the center latch, but have one in the center on the back of the seat.
    TTC#1 January 2013, BFP 7/4/13 MC 8/7/13 D&C 8/22/13
    BFP 5/20/14 CP 5/26/14
    BFP 12/6/14 DD Born an Angel on 7/17/15 at 35 weeks
    An Angel in The Book of Life
    Wrote Down Our Baby's Birth
    And Whispered as She Closed the Book
    Too Beautiful for Earth...
    TTC#2 August 2015 BFP 9/10/15 EDD 5/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • kitandcatkitandcat member
    edited May 2016
    What are the rules with side airbags in the back? If baby's seat is behind the passenger seat, and there are airbags all around the back of the car, do they get shut off?

edited for spelling. ARG.
  • @nerdymama15 I know I'm late to the discussion but wanted to ask what type of Mercedes you have? We are looking at the ML350 and want to make sure before I buy that carseats will have plenty of room! Thx!
  • Kit&Cat said:
    What are the rules with side airbags in the back? If baby's seat is behind the passenger seat, and there are airbags all around the back of the car, do they get shut off?

edited for spelling. ARG.
    Check your car's manual. It should inform yay or nay.
  • I was really surprised that no one checked our carseat when we left the hospital! The nurse who wheeled me out was just not really paying attention to us (seemed very in her own world, almost like a texting teenager or something lol) and basically dropped me at the curb and went back in as quick as she could (they weren't busy, either). The hubby loaded baby in and we drove off. No checks or questions or anything. So crazy.