December 2016 Moms
Options

NIPT TESTING RESULTS

Re: NIPT TESTING RESULTS

• Options
    Would some of you mind weighing in about why you chose to have NIPT? I am scheduled for the ultrasound/blood test combined screening, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money to have NIPT done instead or in addition to the combined screening. Thanks!
  • Options
    @aarabowl I chose to pay ($135) for the peace of mind, and also to find out the sex of the baby early. I am flying across the US (From Georgia to Seattle) to have my baby shower. My doctor said that due to my weight she doesn't want me to fly after 20 weeks, so I wanted to know earlier before I have my shower next month with my family out of state! 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Kacie209Kacie209 member
    edited June 2016
    @aarabowl I am going in to have the Harmony Test done on Thursday. We opted for this, as our oldest nephew has Down syndrome - so the family history is there. It will be nice to know this information this early in my pregnancy. I am also excited that we can confirm if we're having a boy or a girl this early on, too. So... the trisomy testing is the reason for it, the fetal sex is the bonus.

I am also AMA, so it will give us some peace of mind.

Edit: to add in that I am also AMA
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• Options
    aarabowl said:
    Would some of you mind weighing in about why you chose to have NIPT? I am scheduled for the ultrasound/blood test combined screening, but I'm wondering if it's worth the extra money to have NIPT done instead or in addition to the combined screening. Thanks!
    I'm AMA and was a nervous freaking wreck about chromosomal abnormalities.  The test gave me so much peace of mind.  I feel like I can relax and enjoy the pregnancy now. 
    Me: 35 | Him: 35
    G born 10/25/12 | H born 3/25/14
    TTC#3 since 7/2015
    Early loss 12/2015 most likely due to low progesterone
    Began medicated cycles (Femara/Ovidrel/Endometrin) with TI 1/2016
    BFP 3/22, EDD 12/4/16 ~ It's a GIRL!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    aarabowl said:
    Honestly? It was $20 through my doctor's lab, and I am anxiety-prone regarding genetic abnormalities and impatient regarding baby's sex. I'm also 33 so almost "AMA," so my doc encouraged it.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16

• Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! My midwife seemed skeptical when I told her I wanted to have NIPT, so I wondered if I was missing something. But my reasons for wanting it seem to be the same as all of yours, so I think I'll get it done. Thanks again!
  • Options
    I had my NIPT drawn last Tuesday, so I'm only at the 4 business day mark.  The nurse from my OB office called today to tell me I failed my 1 hr glucose test and I asked if NIPT results would be in by end of the week.  Well, she checked for labs and she said they already had my results and it looked good to her.  I am going for 3 hr glucose later in the week and will confirm that all really is good.  This has been a good day!
  • Options
    aarabowl said:
    We did it since OBGYN saw fluid behind neck when we went in at 10 weeks, wanted me to get checked for downs. 
    Also, I just found out a week ago that my cousin has a chromosomal disorder and there is a 1/8 chance I also have it, so the screening will check for that as well.

I probably wouldn't have if Dr didn't recommend.
  • Options
    squiddy224squiddy224 member
    edited June 2016
    Had my blood draw yesterday at my MD appointment.  The phlebotomist told us that the "official" timeframe for the results is 4-6 weeks but we should know in about two and a half.  DH kind of froze up a little too when she said that we could find out Bean's gender if we wanted - he was expecting that we wouldn't know until August so that threw him for a loop.

We decided to have the testing done because I'm 34 (and will be for the entire course of the pregnancy), so I'm not quite AMA (only by about three months!) but I'm close enough that we wanted the reassurance!

@H4aPartyof5 - that's a great idea to get the sex written down so that you and DH can find out together; I might have to call my MD office and request that they do that!  He was worried that I would find out before he did.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    @H4aPartyof5 - I'll be checking today for your announcement!!

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    Got my blood drawn yesterday morning for the Panorama test. We have no family history of chromosomal abnormalities but since I'll be turning 35 only 3 days after EDD, we decided to have it done. Plus my husband is a big time worrier, so this will definitely ease his mind if everything comes back normal. An added plus is that we get to find out the sex early and start planning, which is exciting :) Now, just have to wait the 1-2 weeks! Exciting to see that it seems most of you have gotten your results in a reasonable timeframe and have gotten good results! :)
  • Options
    Doctor called me and said that my results were inconclusive, and they couldn't find enough of the baby's blood cells in my blood. =( She doesn't know if it's because I'm overweight, or what. So I will need to take the test again. Thankfully, they will not bill me since I didn't get results, but that also means they can't tell me the gender. =(

On a side note, they did tell me that my blood type is A-, so DH has to go in with me to next appointment to get his blood drawn as well since I will have to have a shot if his blood type is positive.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    @Karabearrr That's disappointing! Just curious, did they weigh you before they drew blood? I had to be, and was surprised, and they said it was so they knew how much blood they needed. I'm not overweight, but it apparently must be pretty sensitive. 
  • Options
    @cgss11 They weight me at every appointment, so yeah I guess they already knew my weight. I think they drew like 4-5 vials when drawing my blood? I can't be sure, since I have to look away LOL.

I do have a 3D ultrasound scheduled for thursday, another thing the doctor recommended since I'm overweight, she said this other office has better equipment for people like me. (I'm 6' and weigh 260) So I'm hoping the 3D ultrasound can tell me something if the baby is positioned well!

• Options
    @aarabowl I like having as much information as possible. We wanted to be aware if there was something potentially wrong with the baby as soon as we could so that we could decide to do an amnio. Now we know there's nothing wrong with the baby, but also that I'm a carrier for a genetic disorder, so DH can get tested so we know whether or not to worry for future pregnancies. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @karabearrr the lab tech took like 6 vials for my Harmony test draw. Two of the vials were tiny but yeah. I really felt faint afterwards.  I weigh about 200 lbs. They didn't mention anything about needing more blood due to weight but who knows. I just assumed it was for various tests. My OB did say she is going to test me for GD early though and she told me my chances of a C-section are higher due to my weight and other medical issues. Oh and the U/s tech said I might not feel the baby kick as early due to "the extra cushion." LOL

December 2016 August Siggy Challenge: Embarrassing Back to School Pics

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @em01092 6 vials?? Eeek! I thought the 5 they did last week at my first appointment was bad. I hate that stuff, so I was hoping for like 1-2... I can handle that.

I have to go up and get the vials from the OB area and bring down to the labs; they don't keep them in the labs. So, I guess I will find out by how many they give me to bring down.

• Options
    em01092 said:
    @karabearrr the lab tech took like 6 vials for my Harmony test draw. Two of the vials were tiny but yeah. I really felt faint afterwards.  I weigh about 200 lbs. They didn't mention anything about needing more blood due to weight but who knows. I just assumed it was for various tests. My OB did say she is going to test me for GD early though and she told me my chances of a C-section are higher due to my weight and other medical issues. Oh and the U/s tech said I might not feel the baby kick as early due to "the extra cushion." LOL

They told me the exact same thing! Not about the C-section though, but I figured that might be a given for me, but about the not feeling the baby for a while. I'm aiming to prove them wrong on so many things! ;) Are your results back yet? Let me know! 

• Options
    cgss11cgss11 member
    My very first OB appointment they took about 5 vials for whatever. The NIPT was only one for me, I was so thankful. I've never given blood as much as I have while pregnant!
  • Options
    Y'all may know this and tell me to pipe down, but you can request a butterfly for your draw and it makes it much more bearable IMO.  I used to have a cold sweat, ears ringing, black out occasionally fear of blood draws. Last pregnancy (and a nurse who suggested the butterfly for all future draws) got me over it doing it this way.  

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    R0824HR0824H member
    @DiFazette while butterfly needles are normally smaller (I say normally because we do have larger bore butterflys that are the same size as a normal vacutainer because it is a calming effect for the patient to hear "butterfly) they tend to take slightly longer and there is a greater chance of hemolyzing the specimen meaning affected test results. :) There's pros and cons to everything lol
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    TollerToller member
    @karabearrr my bmi is 27 and the nurse told me today (10 weeks 5 days) to wait a few more weeks to get the harmony  test because of that....I was surprised I hadn't read that on any of the boards here yet, but I'm also behind everyone so maybe I wasn't paying attention!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Toller02 said:
    @karabearrr my bmi is 27 and the nurse told me today (10 weeks 5 days) to wait a few more weeks to get the harmony  test because of that....I was surprised I hadn't read that on any of the boards here yet, but I'm also behind everyone so maybe I wasn't paying attention!
    Thanks! And yeah, I hadn't heard it either. I was 11wk1d when they took the test, and they are going to try again tomorrow when I'm 12wk4d, even if I'm still worried we should wait until later! I don't want to keep getting my blood drawn if all my tests come back inconclusive, lol.

• Options
    DiFazetteDiFazette member
    edited June 2016
    R0824H said:
    @DiFazette while butterfly needles are normally smaller (I say normally because we do have larger bore butterflys that are the same size as a normal vacutainer because it is a calming effect for the patient to hear "butterfly) they tend to take slightly longer and there is a greater chance of hemolyzing the specimen meaning affected test results. :) There's pros and cons to everything lol
    @R0824HWord!  Thanks for that info.  It makes a difference to me, but it's likely psychosomatic.  I didn't realize it had any impact and if someone tells me no it could be for a legit reason not because they're sadistic!

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    I got it drawn on the 31st but found out that the lab improperly labeled my vials. So I had to do it again Monday. I have teeny veins so they stuck me a bunch. Not a happy camper.
  • Options
    We had ours taken last Wednesday and we received the results today. We are in the lowest risk category for everything and we are having a little girl! We couldn't be more excited!
  • Options
    Was this test offered to all of you or did you have to ask for it? I'm 29 so I don't fall under the AMA aspect but I'd really like to have as much information as we can. I think I'll be asking today if it's an option for me.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @ErikandAfton I too am 29. I didn't get any testing done with my first, although I don't remember if NIPT was available or not and I was 27 anyway. This time I am kind of interested in doing it just to have more info early on. Let me know what they tell you! I go in for my next appointment next Tuesday...

• Options
    @ErikandAfton I too am 29. I didn't get any testing done with my first, although I don't remember if NIPT was available or not and I was 27 anyway. This time I am kind of interested in doing it just to have more info early on. Let me know what they tell you! I go in for my next appointment next Tuesday...
    Will report back with what they say!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Was this test offered to all of you or did you have to ask for it? I'm 29 so I don't fall under the AMA aspect but I'd really like to have as much information as we can. I think I'll be asking today if it's an option for me.
    I'm 31 and this is my first pregnancy. No history of deformities or down syndrome, but my OB mentioned it during my first visit, and asked me during my second visit if I wanted to do it or not. She said it was optional. I decided to take it since it's my first pregnancy and I'm desperate to make sure the baby is healthy, and of course I wanted to find out the gender early.

• Options
    KatBHKatBH member
    I'm 31 and this is my first pregnancy. No history of deformities or down syndrome, but my OB mentioned it during my first visit, and asked me during my second visit if I wanted to do it or not. She said it was optional. I decided to take it since it's my first pregnancy and I'm desperate to make sure the baby is healthy, and of course I wanted to find out the gender early.
    Same here. I had already looked into it and found out what we were looking at cost wise, but it was mentioned at my first OB appointment this week and we did the blood draw while I was there. It's becoming more common, so I don't think it's just an AMA thing anymore. 
  • Options
    @ErikandAfton - I went in yesterday for the Harmony Test. We had the information provided to us last week at my first appointment, as I am AMA (35) and we have a family history of DS (our oldest nephew has DS, DH's side). So, we figured we get it done. I checked with my insurance and it is covered, but was advised if it wasn't, it's around $135, so we felt it wasn't that much anyway... and worth getting it done.

I think if it's something you want to do, and your insurance covers it or is a decent cost - I say go for it.

• Options
    R0824HR0824H member
    DiFazette said:
    R0824H said:
    @R0824HWord!  Thanks for that info.  It makes a difference to me, but it's likely psychosomatic.  I didn't realize it had any impact and if someone tells me no it could be for a legit reason not because they're sadistic!
    A significant dislike to needles is totally common! Especially after a bad venipuncture experience! I guess another factor is if you truly have small veins or not as well, a normal vein with decent pressure has less of a chance to collapse and a better chance at not hemolyzing :) *don't mind me I'm just a nerdy lab tech.
    TT#1 July 2015
    BFP#1 & MC:August 2015 
    BFP: #2 10/01/2015 MC: 10/09/2015   BFP #3: 12/22/2015 @ 5 weeks  MC/CP: 12-23-2015
    Fertility Appointment: Feb 23/16, Hysteroscopy 03/02/2016,
    BFP #4: 03/31/16 EDD 12/01/2016 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    trackgirl08trackgirl08 member
    edited June 2016
    My doctor said on my first visit that the test probably wouldn't be covered since I am 33, but I really want the test. For peace of mind and to find our the sex. Does anyone know what it usually costs out-of-pocket?
    i see my doc on Tuesday, so hopefully I can get it done if it's not too expensive.

BabyFetus Ticker