May 2016 Moms

Still swollen 5 days PP?

Hi--lurker from June 2016 here. I wanted to ask you ladies because the majority of the June ladies haven't had their babies yet, so obviously haven't dealt with this yet.

My feet, ankles and legs swelled up a few days before I ended up having my son (born on the 26th). They are still swollen and uncomfortable now. Do you May moms have any experience with this? What do your doctors say? Do you have any ways to deal with it and encourage the swelling to go down?

Basically, at the hospital, they kept an eye on it but said it might get worse before it got better because of the IV fluids I received during the birth. However, I did expect it would be at least a bit better by now, but no luck. Any tip, suggestions? 

Thanks in advance--and congrats to you all on your adorable LOs (I have been hardcore lurking on your birth announcement thread, as have many of the June board moms)!
TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

Re: Still swollen 5 days PP?

• Hi...sorry to say my swelling didn't decrease until I was 2 weeks PP. Couldn't even wear shoes. I'm 3 weeks PP today & I have feet and ankles again, but my wedding rings are definitely staying in the box for awhile :(
  • Mine probably went down 7-10 days PP. I think everyone is different and it also varies depending on vaginal vs c-section birth.
  • Loading the player...
  • tgortneytgortney member
    edited May 2016
    I swelled till 5 days PP, then it went away. I also drank a ton of water when I got home though. I got pumped full of fluids at the hospital.
  • folamijfolamij member
    2 weeks PP and still swollen. Can finally wear shoes again but it's not completely comfortable. I had a csection though and was pumped full of fluids.
  • clbnessclbness member
    I am 11 days PP and my feet are finally back to normal as of this morning. The right ankle is still slightly swollen and both are a little tender, but they are much better than they were a couple days ago. My nurses recommended drinking a lot of water and increasing my walking each day. It will get better!!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Mine didn't go down until almost a week after I got home and that was about 12 days postpartum. I had been hooked up to fluids on an IV while in the hospital so I'm sure that didn't help, but it definitely did take some time for things to go back to normal.
  • Mine went down after a week, it was bad though. My ankles looked like tree trunks
  • TinaThoTinaTho member
    6 days PP and still swollen (including my calfs). Can't wait until I hit the 2 week mark and it lessens. It sure is uncomfortable.
  • NB817NB817 member
    This happened to me too. I had RCS but the swelling got worse when I left the hospital and it had never happened with my first C/s or any of my surgeries so I was worried. My BFF is Physical therapist and came to visit me on Sunday and told me how to get rid of it...

you ou need to have your H/SO put lotion on your feet and calves and massage your feet and legs by pushing the fluid up towards your heart. So this while having your feet up twice a day. The technique BFF used was using her thumb and index finger like the picture and squeeze while running it up your leg. It works like a charm. My swelling was completely gone the next day even with me doing 8,000 steps according to my Fitbit. ;) 

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• Thanks so so much everyone! I didn't have a CS and only got two bags of IV fluid, so I wasn't anticipating this much swelling and for it to last, but looks like it's fairly common (although still a pain). I am trying to drink lots of water but the putting my feet up part seems to be hard to find time to do. Thanks to @NB817 , looks like DH is gonna have to give me a massage tonight. :)

TTC#1 since May 2011

• I also had an IV at the hospital, and my midwife said it makes the swelling worse. I saw definite improvement by 2 weeks pp. She told me to elevate my legs as often as possible. I slept with them propped up on a couple of pillows and it did seem to help.
  • My feet and hands were super swollen the second half of pregnancy and were pretty out of control during and after labor. I am 11 days PP and my feet have gone down pretty significantly but when I do a shoe check they're still a little swollen ;) My hands are pretty swollen, can't get my rings past my knuckles still !!
  • I was super swollen for about 2 weeks. Then one morning *poof* totally gone! It's so weird to see my old feet and ankles back after months of swelling in various degrees. 
  • Sharra13 said:
    I was super swollen for about 2 weeks. Then one morning *poof* totally gone! It's so weird to see my old feet and ankles back after months of swelling in various degrees. 
    Definitely looking forward to this magic.  :)
    TTC#1 since May 2011

• I called my doctor about my swelling because I wasn't swollen the entire pregnancy and only had an hour long labor so fluids weren't pumped in me and I didn't start swelling until I got home from the hospital 2 days later. They said they could have scheduled in my phone call because it happens to pretty much everyone. They said it will get worse before it gets better and it usually takes about 2 weeks to resolve. My feet seem totally normal now at 3 weeks PP.
    TTC#1 January 2013, BFP 7/4/13 MC 8/7/13 D&C 8/22/13
    BFP 5/20/14 CP 5/26/14
    BFP 12/6/14 DD Born an Angel on 7/17/15 at 35 weeks
    An Angel in The Book of Life
    Wrote Down Our Baby's Birth
    And Whispered as She Closed the Book
    Too Beautiful for Earth...
    TTC#2 August 2015 BFP 9/10/15 EDD 5/26/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My dr said swelling would be at its worst on day 5, and he was right with me. Each day after that got better.
  • Lurking from April 2016.  I was swollen for two weeks PP and it also went away practically overnight. I thought I would never wear regular shoes again! Now when I look at my feet I'm still amazed to see my bones! It will get better!!!