Breastfeeding
Options

Help- pumping for a 2 day event...

Hey ladies!  I just had my 3rd child April 3rd (he is 6 weeks today:)) and have been blessed to have not had to pump with any of my children.  I tried it with my first and it is hard work- kuddos to pumping mamas!! You are super women!  Anyway- I know there is a two day event that I want to attend in Augusy... But they don't allow any children, even nursing infants.  Our lo will only be 4 months sooo... I will need to pump if I want to go to this event.  How would you best approach this?  Should I start teaching him how to take a bottle now?  Wait until closer?  I struggle with over supply so I am reluctant to pump and make my supply even greater.  
Any suggestions on how to approach this would be welcome!  I have a hand pump and a freestyle medela from my first lo... If I can find it :)

Thanks in advance!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Help- pumping for a 2 day event...

• Options
    SmallyMcSmallSmallyMcSmall member
    edited May 2016
    So here's how I would go about it- I would try to pump after a feeding only one or two days out of the week. Probably do it in the morning after the first feeding when you're most full. Get a little freezer stash started (even just enough for like 4-5 feedings to start will work)

Then, once or maybe twice a week, replace one feeding with a bottle to get your LO used to it ahead of time, and also to get a feel for how much baby eats in a single sitting. This way you can sort of estimate how much you'll need to have pumped and put away for when you're away.

when you feed baby from the bottle, use the pump on yourself to replace used milk and to maintain supply. Also, remember that you'll want to bring the pump along with you to use every few hours so you can relieve engorgement and keep your production from dropping.

Eta: you'll definitely want to start this ahead of time not only to make a freezer stash but to get LO accustomed to the bottle 
  • Options
    I agree with everything the post before says!! Exactly what I would do. I give my LO a bottle once or twice a week to have some time away. I introduced it at 6 weeks and he has had no trouble at all going between bottle and breast. Although he definitely prefers breast. I would suggest not waiting much longer, I know so many who would like their little one to take a bottle but they won't because they waited so long. And any earlier than 6/8 weeks they end up only wanting the bottle. 
    Best of luck! 
    i also agree full time pumping Mommas are amazing!! I'm not strong enough:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    taysuntaysun member
    clabgust said:
    I agree with everything the post before says!! Exactly what I would do. I give my LO a bottle once or twice a week to have some time away. I introduced it at 6 weeks and he has had no trouble at all going between bottle and breast. Although he definitely prefers breast. I would suggest not waiting much longer, I know so many who would like their little one to take a bottle but they won't because they waited so long. And any earlier than 6/8 weeks they end up only wanting the bottle. 
    Best of luck! 
    i also agree full time pumping Mommas are amazing!! I'm not strong enough:)
    Part of this is not true. You can 100% introduce a bottle earlier that 6 weeks if necessary and still have a good breastfeeding experience. 
    My DD was exclusively bottle fed pumped milk for 6 weeks before we were able to establish a latch. Do some babies end up preferring the ease of bottles? Yes. But it's not a fact that introducing a bottle early will cause breastfeeding failure. 
    DD is 6 days shy of six months and still nursing wonderfully after our very very rocky start.