June 2016 Moms

Baby girl measuring VERY big!

Ok so I'm getting nervous, I'm currently 37 weeks and 3 days-had the growth sonogram today and she is estimated at 7lbs and 11oz.  Two weeks ago she was estimated at 6lbs 8oz.  The Dr said if this growth continues and I haven't had her by my 39th week that I will likely have a C-section due to her size.  She could be almost 10lbs!  I know these estimates can be off at times, but even if its off by say 5oz, she's still measuring very big right?  How are other babies measuring?

Re: Baby girl measuring VERY big!

• The last ultrasound I had was the anatomy scan but I have read that it's very hard to accurately tell the weight/size of the baby via sonogram/ultrasound/whatever. My doctor has been measuring fundal height which can be inaccurate too. One woman I know said the doctor's estimate was over by 2lbs!
  • meggymemeggyme member
    I've also heard the estimates can be off by up to 2lbs. My birthing instructor said it's very unlikely for baby to be too big for you to birth. Most babies that are considered too big are really just poorly positioned.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • I wouldn't worry. Both my dos were over 8 lbs, and I was 9 when I was born. Pluss they could be very far off on measurements 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • alitriaalitria member
    I can think of two moms I know who did unmedicated birth with babies over ten lbs.  Even if the measurements are accurate, and like others are saying they aren't always, it doesn't mean a c section is inevitable.  I'd say the most important thing is to not let them get you so scared and anxious that it makes labor more difficult. 
  • At my last us at 37 weeks, DS measures 8lbs 9oz but I also have a history of big babies (DD was 9lb 13oz at birth). DD ended up coming via cs because her head was stuck on my pelvic bone. Like pp said, it has more to do with positioning than size (although her size surely didn't help). 
  • I'm only 36 weeks today and when I had a growth scan Monday last week when I was 34+6 my LO measured 8lbs 6oz. They told me because she's been breeched my whole pregnancy there are two options. They could do an inversion but I don't have high enough levels of fluid to have a good percentage of success. Or a c section at 39 weeks. My dr doesn't think I will make it to 39 weeks given all the contractions I have been having. I can't feel them but my nst picks them up regularly. My husband and I were both 7 1/2 lb babies and doc said maybe when we get together we just make big babies. If she wasn't breeched I would be giving her the best push at having her naturally. Given my situation I'm going with a happy healthy baby. Don't worry your doctor will inform you during labor what to do and how to do it no matter the size of baby. You will do just fine I believe in you. No worries baby is healthy and will come out how ever she sees natural.
  • stisnd6stisnd6 member
    On May 4th my baby was 6lb 10oz (I think I was 35 weeks) That had my dr on the cautious side of how big he'll be. Today i am 39w1d and I had another ultrasound putting him at 8lbs8oz. Doctor said the ultrasound could be off a pound +/- but usually it's more on the conservative side. So he's hoping I have him this week to avoid a 10lb baby. I was a 10lb and the father was too so I knew that was coming. The doctor said I also have to take into consideration that my baby has got a big ol head haha 95%. So that's another factor that increases my chances of a c section Ontop of the weight. He gave me the ok to start using my breast pump to produce oxytocin to get the process going since I told him I didn't want to be medically induced. 
  • If it makes you feel any better my uncle was 11 lbs 4oz. My grandma came from a country where they push natural births more and she did it!  No meds. And my birth instructor said both her babies were almost 10lbs and she also birthed them med free.  Your body is def made to be able to open up and let those babies out.  They key is try not to lay on your back so your pelvis can separate to allow the baby to pass.
  • Just to add to the chorus: large baby doesn't have to mean automatic csection.  I had an unmedicated birth to a 10.5 pounder with a head circumference off the charts.  It was tough, but we did it.  I was also 42 weeks at that point.
  • xc1148xc1148 member
    They are just estimates, and usually wrong. No way would I schedule a c-section because of a guess. How much did you weigh/how much did your husband weigh at birth? That is usually a better indicator. Don't let them force anything on you.
    TTC since June 2011
    DH: perfect SA
    Me: 30, moderate endo, unexplained infertility
    IUI or IVF in December

• If you went by percentile and measurements, my baby is set to weight over 10 pounds at birth. However growth scans are notoriously wrong and people have 10 pound babies vaginally every day. My MW hasn't brought up c section once and I have GD. I'd be worried your dr wants to schedule a c section for a baby who MIGHT be in the 9 pound range 
  • Ditto to everyone who's said you don't need a section just bc of a growth estimate. Just do your research and get educated on your options. 
  • With my last pregnancy, I consistently measured ahead in fundal height, and ultrasounds estimated that I was carrying a monster baby. My OB still let me go to almost 42 weeks before scheduling an induction, and I ended up delivering spontaneously -- a not-terribly-heavy, 8.5-pound baby who just happened to be very long and have a good-sized head. This time around, the perinatologist has become consumed by the idea that I'm carrying a megababy (my regular OB shares my lack of concern on this front), but even so, no one's talking induction unless the baby's unrelated health issue becomes a problem. 
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was at the MFM for a scan three weeks ago and measured 6lbs. They were cautioning me that baby was already getting big and they wanted to watch it. Today baby measured 6lbs 12 ounces and the tech today said measurements can be off, baby can have growth spurts, and to keep in mind that measurements are not accurate. They take a a couple of different measurements and then compile them to guess the weight. 

I've been told babies positioning is more important to delivery and spinning babies has info on helping baby be in the best position possible including head down, facing your spine, chin tucked.

Don't get threatened in to a section based on a guess. If there are other reasons to support a need for a section or induction or whatever, do what you need to do for you and baby. You've got this!!
  • I went to my 37 week scan on Monday,  it was to see position and size.  The tech said he was 8.68 lbs currently which freaked me out considering I have 2 more weeks to go....my girlfriend told me they can be off to not panic.  Hubby started laughing saying he was betting that the baby is over 10 lbs as his son, him and his cousin who just had a boy were all over 10 lbs apparently they make large boys!  

I have  a Dr's appointment tomorrow so I guess I'll see if the Dr is recommending a c-section but when I asked him at the last appointment he said he doesn't make that decision untill I'm in labour or unless there is issues, he prefers not to do c-section I guess....he's pretty chilled actually really glad about that cause he calms me down! 
  • I never had any USs to do growth or size estimates. For my size, my belly was average and she measured on time. When I learned I pushed out an 8lb kid and saw her size, I was shocked she fit in there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • my mom delivered me, 10lbs, unmedicated. she said I was very easy to deliver despite my size. my husband is a twin and my MIL delivered him and his brother unmedicated, both 7.5lbs.
    I hope this gives you some reassurance!! 
  • Thank you ladies for the support!! 

• You've already gotten lots of reassurance, but I'll add mine anyway. With DD2, the growth ultrasound showed that (at 38 weeks) she was just over 8 lbs. She was born a full 3 weeks later, at 41 weeks, weighing 7lb14oz. Their estimation was way off, obviously.

• Based on fundal height my DD measured two weeks ahead of schedule for most of my last pregnancy, but she was born two weeks late and only eight pounds. Her growth scans were fairly accurate though. Try not to worry too much about size though. My tiny SIL had two babies over nine pounds totally unmedicated. Just take the labor one step at a time and see what your doctor says then.