October 2016 Moms
Options

How many receiving blankets?

I have had 2 kids already and feel like I should know the answer to this. But I don't. I have an entire large rubber maid of girl receiving blankets, it's been so long since I've used them I don't even know how many I realistically need to keep. I'm trying to clean up the storage room and excess girl stuff cause it's gotten way out of hand. 

Anyone? 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How many receiving blankets?

• Options
    I really didn't use that many with DS. Keep maybe 10-12?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I think I was too sleep deprived I don't remember much from 2 years ago! That seems realistic, thanks! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was planning on like 4-5....am I nuts? Will I really need double that?
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    katlarissakatlarissa member
    edited May 2016
    I had three and really really wished for five. I say the more the merrier with those things! I had the Aden and anais blankets and they were wonderful. 

ETA: @MrsHudson2014 I think it partly depends on how often you plan to do laundry. Four times a week? Then you should be fine with that few a number. Less than that? Get more.
  • Options
    LGW2015LGW2015 member
    Ok stupid FTM question. What are you using receiving blankets for? I heard that you should use the sleep sacks for swaddling instead of using a blanket because it's better for their hips to have their legs free, so I registered for the halo sleep sacks. Are there other uses for receiving blankets that I would want to register for them?
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LGW2015 If you get the muslin blankets, they're really versatile.  We used them as swaddles, but also just as blankets when baby fell asleep on someone.  We also used them as breastfeeding covers and as a cover for the car seat when it was in the stroller (because the visor wasn't big enough).  Oh, and a place for baby to sit or lie down when we were out and about (say at the park or someone's house).
  • Options
    @LGW2015 If you get the muslin blankets, they're really versatile.  We used them as swaddles, but also just as blankets when baby fell asleep on someone.  We also used them as breastfeeding covers and as a cover for the car seat when it was in the stroller (because the visor wasn't big enough).  Oh, and a place for baby to sit or lie down when we were out and about (say at the park or someone's house).
    Yup, they get used for lots of things, they're handy but I just counted and I have 43, likely I will not need that man as I do laundry 2-3 times a week!
  • Options
    We used them for spit up, to put under him during diaper changes, and to clean up random spills. That said, we have maybe 30 and at one point (reflux baby) we were going through them all in 5 days. I say have a few on hand and if you need more then buy them. My sister only had like 10 and had no issue.

For swaddling, covering a carseat, blankets, etc we used muslin and bamboo in various brands and have tons of those as well. We still use them as blankets and covering the carseat to keep it cooler with my toddler so it was a great investment.

Now that I think about it, we used the velcro style swaddles from about month 1-3 then switched to a regular sleep sack, we never mastered the swaddle with a blanket.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    Yup, we used the muslin swaddle ones the same as @ignoscemihi listed. Really only rotated through 4-5 of those, though (laundry once a week). Regular receiving blankets we used as an impromptu changing mat, a spot for baby to lay and play, or a burp/cleaning cloth when messes where big. Probably only rotated through 4-5 of those also.
  • Options
    I used receiving blankets as burp cloths for DD. Muslin blankets worked better as swaddled IMO. 

We we had a ton of both.

Me: 28  DH: 27
    TTC since 2011
    IVF #1 June 2013 DD born: 2/25/14
    IVF #2 January 2016 Double Transfer: 1/28/2016
    First Beta: 108 Second Beta: 360.3
    Twins EDD: 10/13/2016
  • Options
    jeng100jeng100 member
    I used the miracle blanket for swaddling because my daughter was able to bust out of any other swaddle I did with both blankets and the swaddle me/sleep sacks. I had 4 Aden & anais blankets that I used a lot, but 4 was plenty. Then I had a TON of other receiving blankets I received as shower gifts (like probably 10-12) that I can say I hardly used. I may have used like 2-3 of those. With all that said, it was in the middle of summer with no ac, and my daughter rarely spit up. So, fewer blankets would have been better in our case. 
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    A&A blankets are great, as everyone has already said. For us they got mostly used for spit up (trust me that those little tiny ones they sell at carters don't do the job), as car seat covers, and nursing covers. Also tucked around baby in the swing. For FTMs: don't go nuts on blankets because you are going to get like a thousand at showers. For some reason people lose their minds when it comes to baby blankets, it's unreal. 
  • Options
    A&A blankets are great, as everyone has already said. For us they got mostly used for spit up (trust me that those little tiny ones they sell at carters don't do the job), as car seat covers, and nursing covers. Also tucked around baby in the swing. For FTMs: don't go nuts on blankets because you are going to get like a thousand at showers. For some reason people lose their minds when it comes to baby blankets, it's unreal. 
    That's how I ended up with 43 receiving blankets. That doesn't count my adin swaddling blankets, swaddle wraps, or burp clothes. It's crazy how much blankets you'll get.
  • Options
    I think I had 4 for my daughter we ended up buying a few more when she had GURD they became projectile cleaners and catchers. I used the forever thing from clean up her,  to cuddle blankets, I have bacteria OCD so I'd use them in public places under her on change tables then throw them in zip lock bag and wash it. I'd say 10 is reasonable number.
  • Options
    We ended up buying cheap Gerber cloth diapers to  use as burp clothes.  They're really absorbent and small enough to throw a few in the diaper bag.  I think we had 20 of those, four aden + anais muslin blankets, a heavier blanket that I knit and one my husband's grandma crocheted and that was all we really needed.
  • Options
    I literally never used a receiving blanket with my first.  And everyone and their mom got us some.  
  • Options
    vcabbywvcabbyw member
    I dunno if anyone else said this, and I know you said receiving blankets. But I think it also depends on what other blankets you'll be using and the weather, plus how often you realistically do laundry. 

Most of the time I used those really soft minky blankets from target (had 2-3). Plus two thicker blankets we used in the car or cold weather, usually kept in the cars. I had a back of a+a blankets but I think it was overkill to have 4 of those which those were awesome in hot weather and swaddling.

Plus I had a pack of 5 basic receiving blankets for different things, nap time... Dipe changes, spit up, burp clothes,. Etc.  but they were on the smaller side that I didn't like them for swaddling or nursing cover.