August 2016 Moms
Options

UO

I don't have the energy to search for a gif today so...
*insert funny gif here*

Lets hear how unpopular your opinions are. 

Re: UO

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    cm716cm716 member
    My UO is that i hate 'open concept' kitchens. My living/dining room connect but the kitchen a separate corner of my house. That's the way I like it.

When I entertain I don't want guests seeing what a tornado my kitchen is! Because my kitchen is such a high use area it's often messy. I love having it in its own corner where no one can see.
  • Options
    @Snaps816 and @texasmama2014 I agree with both of you. I rolled my eyes when I learned my my preschooler would be having a "graduation" this year. I also cringe because DS's tball team doesn't keep score. And if a parent is caught keeping score, the child will be removed from the game!!!
    I'm so glad my older DS actually plays competitive baseball. It's so fun to watch him bask in his accomplishments.  And when he messes up or loses a game, it's a great opportunity for teaching moments. I'm so tired of celebrating mediocrity. 
  • Options
    @Snaps816 and @texasmama2014 I agree with both of you. I rolled my eyes when I learned my my preschooler would be having a "graduation" this year. I also cringe because DS's tball team doesn't keep score. And if a parent is caught keeping score, the child will be removed from the game!!!
    I'm so glad my older DS actually plays competitive baseball. It's so fun to watch him bask in his accomplishments.  And when he messes up or loses a game, it's a great opportunity for teaching moments. I'm so tired of celebrating mediocrity. 
    @lotsofsunshine Ugh, that makes me cringe! There are so many life skills to be learned through competition.  A HUGE benefit of playing sports as a kid is learning how to win and lose gracefully. If you lose, you come back for the next game with your head up.You support your teammates even through a loss. And in a game like baseball (or t-ball) keeping track of the balls, strikes, innings and overall score builds counting and math skills. Sports are about more than just exercise. But without keeping score, the kids are just swinging a stick at a ball and running in circles. 
  • Options
    @Snaps816 I agree about the excessive graduations. They are ALL OVER Facebook right now.
  • Options
    I actually like the graduations for Pre-school. That is the child's first year of school ever and to make it through and do a good job is a huge accomplishment for such a young one. I am not a fan of any other "graduations" until the end of high school though. 
  • Options
    I don't get the whole "fake out" concept in cooking. I love me some spaghetti squash but season it for what it is. Don't dump marinara on it and pretend it's pasta. Same with zoodles. And cauliflower rice is delicious when sautéed with pesto. Don't put it in my plate plain and try to pass it off as actual rice. 
  • Options
    As for graduations, I think once you're leaving the school (or school district) then they're fine. Otherwise it's not necessary. Preschool graduations are cute. Presumably the kids are leaving their private nursery school to head on to an elementary school. I had an 8th grade graduation but that was because our district was k-8 then the high school was its own district (along with another hs nearby). 
  • Options
    @midwestbaby Thankfully my DH does all the cooking too. I'm not sure if I hate it or not but I'm so comically bad at it (actually exploded beef in the microwave once) that I refuse to do it. I love to bake though! Baking is easy for me since it comes with precise directions and measurements.

I agree with all of you about the participation trophy culture. There's nothing wrong with learning how to win and lose and enjoying a little competition. I sucked at every sport I tried and lost at everything but had so much fun playing that I didn't care. It taught me how to lose, congratulate the other team and still have fun. I did discover horse riding later in my childhood though and turned out to be good at that. But all the other sports... Not so much.

I don't have my own UO. Just agree with most of yours!
  • Options
    edited May 2016

@lotsofsunshine Ugh, that makes me cringe! There are so many life skills to be learned through competition.  A HUGE benefit of playing sports as a kid is learning how to win and lose gracefully. If you lose, you come back for the next game with your head up.You support your teammates even through a loss. And in a game like baseball (or t-ball) keeping track of the balls, strikes, innings and overall score builds counting and math skills. Sports are about more than just exercise. But without keeping score, the kids are just swinging a stick at a ball and running in circles. 
    I wish I could "love it" a hundred times.

Edited because I'm tired and not paying attention to what I am doing. 
  • Options
    I think little babies are cuter than chunky babies.  Yes they are all precious gifts but chunky babies aren't as cute to me. It may be the hormones talking because we are 2 and through and I have horrible baby fever right now. 
    Also, the thought of delivering a 15# baby makes me hurt. This flameworthy UO was sparked by a random  FB newsfeed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I woke up from a terrifying dream: Baby came now at 31 weeks. She was so little but I had put her on my chest, still attached to the cord. I looked down and she was already latched onto my left nipple. This shit is going to happen for real so soon.

Very honest UO: I don't want my body to get ruined because of baby. I don't want to be in pain while breastfeeding. All the pain and effects of becoming a mom and being one...I'm just not looking forward to it. I know I have to go through all of this for her well being but it doesn't mean that I want to. Sigh. 
  • Options
    SekeramboSekerambo member
    edited May 2016

UO: I make cuter babies than anyone in the world... ;)
    Definitely a UO because I'm pretty sure mine are cuter  ;)
  • Options
    one thing that i can't stand is people putting there kids convo they have with them on a daily basis or every little thing they do that is funny or crazy etc. 
  • Options
    Another UO I've been holding on to is I think it's annoying to see people post monthly growth pictures of their puppies/dogs. I posted monthly pics of DD for the first year but dogs? Really?
    I'm totally that person. I didn't do it every single month, but it was definitely on a pretty regular basis. I will own up to the fact that I am a crazy dog lady, though. I have a sticker on my car, a welcome sign, and now an address decal all with his breed featured. I have a problem.
  • Options
    jacerujaceru member
    @cal031686  That baby is huge!
  • Options
    Pepper6Pepper6 member
    Ooh, I've got another one: I hate being pregnant. This is baby #2 (and last) for me and I've been so lucky to have very easy pregnancies with  minimal symptoms, but I still hate it. Of course, I think it's still 100% worth it to get my children and all, I'm just not one of those people who enjoys the process or who will miss it when it's over. 
  • Options
    I never think of UO on the right day and when the day comes, I forget what they were.

Agree totally about participation awards... So weird. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I actually love chunky babies! I think they're so cute. However, I don't want to birth one. Terrified enough at shoving a (hopefully) normal size baby out of my vagina.
  • Options
    @Pepper6 I loved being pregnant with DS1 and was actually a little sad when it was over. This time around, I cannot wait to be done. We've always planned on 3 but now I'm really questioning if I can make it through another pregnancy. 

• Options
    DD was 8lbs 8ozs when she was born and looked like a 2 month old. I'm nervous that this LO is going to be bigger than that. 
  • Options
    I agree on the cooking - I HATE it!  Luckily DH wishes that he went to school to be a chef and loves it, he even worked in a restaurant in high school, but uuugh. I hate it. 

I think big babies are cute because they tend not to look so scrunchy and wrinkled.  DD was 9lbs13oz, and she was maybe a little chunky, but she was also 22" tall, so she was actually fairly proportional - she seriously looked like a 3 month old lol.  I secretly judge small babies and say "they need to feed that kid!"  My niece was 5lb something when she was born and I refused to hold her until she was over 12 lbs....that was like 6 or 7 mos old lol

I agree on the participation awards....such bull!  Maybe we can stop this nonsense with our generation of kids since we all seem to be in agreement on this one.  The closest to a participation award I ever got was when I got a 3rd place trophy for soccer as a kid...anything under 3rd place didn't get anything, and obviously my trophy was nowhere near as big as the first place team.

I also love being pregnant.  This pregnancy has been a little harder than the one with DD, but I think it's just because I'm usually in no mood to chase around a toddler after a day of work so it subconsciously annoys me.

My UOs are (1) I hate when people call their babies prince/princess.  I'm surely a princess myself, but I think it's so obnoxious to call babies prince or princess.  I have no reason, it's just annoying.  My ILs call DD princess all the time and it makes my skin crawl.  (2) I hate giving DD a bath.  I would rather scrub the toilet with my toothbrush than give her a bath.  For whatever reason she hates having her hair washed and it just makes the entire experience so unpleasant
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    @Snaps816 & @texasmama2014

I teach 8th grade, and we have an 8th grade graduation since they are leaving the middle school. Which I think is cool because they are leaving, BUT we finally got it approved that students who are failing the grade will not walk. They used to make us include everyone, but I see kids walking around that "graduated" last year too. I was very happy that 8th grade graduation is now an accomplishment/milestone for the students and not just a given. I hate the participation trophies for all era. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I dont mind cooking to be honest. Im especially great with my crock pot! Its the clean up that I absolutely hate, but our deal is that I cook and DH cleans up when I am done packing lunches for the next day.

I always think of great UO when it isnt Thursday! 
  • Options
    @Pepper6 I loved being pregnant with DS1 and was actually a little sad when it was over. This time around, I cannot wait to be done. We've always planned on 3 but now I'm really questioning if I can make it through another pregnancy. 
    Same! I was the weird pregnant lady first go round who thought it was all great. This one is dragging. Not sure if another baby after this one will be in the cards for us.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This is a good string of UOs!

Mine is that my child is not special. I love him, and he's important to me, but I think telling kids how special they are sets them up for failure. Outside the walls of home, no one will assume anything about how amazing they are. They will have to prove themselves over and over. They cannot afford to walk out into the world assuming that they will get any sort of credit or treatment for being uniquely themselves. They may stand out in some way, which is great, but they have to earn it. 
  • Options
    cal031686 said:
    I think little babies are cuter than chunky babies.  Yes they are all precious gifts but chunky babies aren't as cute to me. It may be the hormones talking because we are 2 and through and I have horrible baby fever right now. 
    Also, the thought of delivering a 15# baby makes me hurt. This flameworthy UO was sparked by a random  FB newsfeed. 
    Lurking but that is the size of my 5 month old
  • Options
    I feel the same way! We always talked about 3-4. After everything during this pregnancy I am thinking never again. MIL said this probably isn't the time to make that call lol. I guess we will see how I feel in a few years. 
  • Options
    @cal031686 my goodness now that is a big baby, i wonder what they ate to get them that big lol I am scared to have a big baby my step son was 9lbs and so was my dh and i was just 7lbs and some oz. that pic just messed up my mind for the rest of the day.