Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby Gap Sizes?

I'm a FTM trying to figure out what clothing sizes to get for baby. I am looking to order some clothes from baby gap & am wondering how the sizes run? Do the 0-3 month clothes fit the average sized newborn or should I get the up to 7 lbs size? Just wondering if the up to 7 lbs could be easily stretched to fit babies over that weight. Also, wondering how the Carters brand runs. Thanks! 

Re: Baby Gap Sizes?

• I think Baby Gap tends to run true to size or on the larger side...Carters tends to be the opposite...they run smaller. Unless the baby ends up being small I think the NB size is kind of a waste...I would start with the 0-3...my daughter was big (9 lbs 4 oz) and she only stayed in the 0-3 size for about a month..She is almost 3 months and can fit alot of 9 month or 6-9 month clothes now...but again she started off on the larger side. 
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I would definitely get some newborn clothing. My baby wore NB for 2+ months and was born at 8 lb 3 oz. 

• Loading the player...
  • My DS was born at almost 7 lbs and wore the Gap "up to 7lbs" for a few weeks. He's 8.5 lbs at 1 month and the Gap 0-3 is still a bit big on him. Carter's definitely runs a little smaller, and their 0-3 month has worked well as an "in between" size for us!
  • Every baby is different. You can buy some clothes now but no one can tell you how many of what size your baby will need. My DD was 8lb 3oz and wore NB size for months. She's 6mos old and just over 14lb, still in 3-6mo. She's a peanut! 
  • Idk about gap but my LO has been wearing carters 3 month clothing for at least a month and a half now and she's not even 3 months until Tuesday. I think they tend to run small because she isn't big by any means (aside from some seriously chunky thighs!). I would say get a good amount of newborn stuff, because even if they don't wear it for a long time, you may have a spitter or a lot of blow outs and need to change during the same day. You don't want to have to do laundry every day. That being said, your baby won't mind if their clothes are a little loose if you size them up a bit early
  • I guess everyone is different! I had to return or donate all her newborn clothing...just keep tags/receipts in case!  :)
  • taysuntaysun member
    I had a lot of everything and only washed a few things just in case she didn't wear it all. 
    I had to run out three times to buy new born clothing- she wore it for 3 months. At 5 months were in 0-3 mostly. 
    My suggestion is to keep tags on and receipts and wash things as needed. 
  • Sizes vary so widely between brands.  My week old at 8 pounds, 9 ounces, 21 3/4 inches, fits pretty perfectly into Carter's size 3 months. However, he definitely has room to grow in some of the other brands. Not sure specifically about Gap.
  • Baby gap seems large as well as Oshkosh brand.

• yogahhyogahh member
    Sizes vary so widely between brands.  My week old at 8 pounds, 9 ounces, 21 3/4 inches, fits pretty perfectly into Carter's size 3 months. However, he definitely has room to grow in some of the other brands. Not sure specifically about Gap.
    My two week old is the same measurements and a size 3 carters is huuuugggeeee on her. She's still in newborn sizes. Funny how it's different baby to baby huh

cat fail animated GIF

• We love Carter's clothing and our LO was in NB sizes until he was about 10-11 lbs then we switched to 3 month sizes from Carter's. That size seems to be a little big but not too bad. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would recommend getting some newborn outfits. Everyone told us not to bother and my husband ended up going out to buy several because we only had 3 outfits and the 0 to 3 were huge.

In my opinion baby gap runs true size to a little large. My 6 month old is long and lean, he is just now out growing his gap 3 to 6 months stuff. He has been in carter 9 months since early april.
    However, every baby is different. You have see what works. We now buy my son mostly gap and janie and jack because other brands are too short and wide.

• My 11 week old is now in Carter's 6 month clothing and everyone else's 3-6 or 6-9. Baby gap only 0-3 only fit him for two weeks (4 and 5). My little guy was born on the smaller side of things 19in 7lb1oz. He was 13lb 9oz and 24in by his two month. So he grew very quickly.
  • I love baby gap, my little fits in under 7 pounds and is too small for 0-3 months, she weighed 7.9 2 weeks ago and is 1 month. The sweater looking onsies with the actual buttons are my favorite.