August 2016 Moms
Options

STMs who already have boys

What kind of ointment did you use after circumcision?  
DD  <3 6/15/2014
Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

Re: STMs who already have boys

• Options
    They told us to just use Vaseline, and it seemed to do the trick!
  • Options
    We just used triple antibiotic ointment. They sent us home with it from the hospital. But I heard that Vaseline or coconut oil works too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They gave us a tiny tube of antibiotic ointment and said when it ran out to use Vaseline for an additional 7-10 days.then put a 4x4gauze over it to prevent from sticking to diaper  (also important if u use cloth diapers ) 
  • Options
    I'm trying to stay away from Vaseline, but I like the coconut oil idea!
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    We did the little packs of antibiotic ointment until we ran out and then aquaphor. 

• Options
    We used Vaseline which is what was recommended by our doc. 

TTC 9/2013

BFP#1: 9/28/2013, EDD 5/28/13, MC confirmed 10/15/13, D&C 10/17/13

BFP#2: 1/10/2014, EDD 9/19/2014

• Options
    NICU RNNICU RN member
    We had a plastibell - no cream required!  It was extra nice since we were cloth diapering. Do you know what type of circ your OB does?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We were told to use basatracin. His healed super quick. 
  • Options
    lblu43lblu43 member
    They sent us home with antibiotic ointment. We didn't need much.  It healed quickly! 
  • Options
    NICU RN said:
    We had a plastibell - no cream required!  It was extra nice since we were cloth diapering. Do you know what type of circ your OB does?
    No clue.  We haven't even discussed it yet, but a friend of mine was telling me the horrors of it with her son so it got me thinking.
    DD  <3 6/15/2014
    Baby #2 due 8/11/2016

• Options
    We were given Vaseline after both of my boys were circumcised, and were told to just put that on for a week or so to keep it from sticking to the diaper.
  • Options
    We also had the plastibell. I hadn't a clue about it going in, but it was nice because you don't have to worry about creams or gauze. Our pedi did it not our midwife team, and I was told it wasn't as common to do it this way at the hospital we were at- but it seemed to be all good and healed fast. 
  • Options
    Vaseline is what was recommended by our doctor and healed just fine. For both our boys.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    Vaseline...get the squeeze bottle so you don't have to worry about dabbing it onto baby. Less mess, less fuss. 
  • Options
    The hospital gave us a big tube of A&D ointment and told us to put it on his penis "like an ice cream cone" with every change. It was more than enough to last us til it healed. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    we just used vaseline
  • Options
    The hospital gave us a big tube of A&D ointment and told us to put it on his penis "like an ice cream cone" with every change. It was more than enough to last us til it healed. 
    We also got the ice cream cone comment
  • Options
    This thread has made me realize how little I know about penises.  I should probably do research JIC this is a boy...
    Honestly I had no idea either but we just followed the instructions we were given after his circumcision (we're Jewish so we had it done by a mohel, not at the hospital).  It's his job so we figured he knew what he was talking about.  And our pediatricians checked the healing process whenever we were there, so I didn't have too much to worry about.
  • Options
    We were given a handful of squeeze tubes of Vaseline. 

Me (32) DH (34) | |
    BFP #1 4/5/12 | Natural m/c on 4/18/12 (6w1d)
    BFP #2 8/23/12 | DS born 5/3/13
    BFP #3 12/6/15 | DD born 8/23/16
    BFP #4 2/22/19 | EDD 10/28/19
  • Options
    This thread has made me realize how little I know about penises.  I should probably do research JIC this is a boy...
    I recommend researching both the circumcision procedure and aftercare, also researching forgoing the procedure. Both of my sons are intact and I've actually found it to be so much easier to care for than my circumcised nephew of the same age as my oldest. 

Mom of 2 little gentlemen and one more on the way

image         image

• Options
    Since we are talking about circumcision. Does anyone know if your insurance covers it? I know some do and some don't, I need to call our company after I talk to our doctor but just wondering. 
  • Options
    Thanks to everyone for information,  I am so new to this all and often don't feel like I have anything to contribute to discussions, but I really find all of the different perspectives helpful as I navigate this FTM process. So thanks all for sharing your wisdom and experience. 
  • Options
    @SkiChic626 I agree with you on so many levels. My dh and ds are circumcised and this lo will be also. The cleanliness is a big factor for me. I only know a couple of people who decided not to have it done. One of the boys ended up with an infection really young as a result of not cleaning properly throughout all the skin. I also know men my age who are not circumcised but choose to have their sons done as they would not have chosen that for themselves. To each their own...I wouldn't side eye anyone based on their decision for circumcision or not.
  • Options
    @Lynnlove28 Mine does cover it but we have amazing insurance. As in, we didn't pay a DIME out of pocket for DS's birth, recovery, or the subsequent 24-hour hospital stay for jaundice. Or any of his physicals. So thankful for great insurance!

• Options
    NICU RN said:
    I've not inquired regarding this topic with my OB should the need arise. I do know the three common techniques in the US for infant circumcision are the Gomco, Mogen, and Plastibell. They all seem to have advantages and disadvantages, so I would likely go with whatever my provider is most comfortable with, simply because it would be more routine for the provider.

If given the choice,  I would choose the OB over the pediatrician to do the procedure simply because OBs are surgeons.
  • Options
    CeventaCeventa member
    Vaseline. Our insurance covered it 100%.

BabyFruit Ticker