3rd Trimester

Question about Amniotic Sac

Has anyone's doctor been able to feel their baby's hair (specifically, the texture [i.e. curly]) at a cervical check through the amniotic sac?  I'm asking because yesterday at my appt (I'm 1 cm, 80% effaced, 37 weeks) the physician assistant said that she could feel his curly hair.  Is it possible to feel this through the amniotic sac?  I'm asking because I thought last week I might have had a leak in my sac, and now this is just confusing me.  Any ideas?

Re: Question about Amniotic Sac

• Uh... No never ever heard of this. 
  • ecwkecwk member
    edited May 2016
    edit - nvm 

OP no I'd be worried if my doc said that 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • So you would be worried or you would not be?
  • I actually have heard of this.  A coworker of mine said she could feel her baby's head/hair and I thought it was crazy!
  • Sounds crazy to me, but I'm no expert.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes, because I have when I worked in L/D. 
  • PootsDragonPootsDragon member
    edited May 2016
    *Edit because never mind if @BecauseBabyIamAPug says it's a thing then I believe it. Never heard of it myself, but hey that's cool your LO will have adorable NB hair!
  • DD was induced, and during a check, the midwife was all "can you feel baby bouncing? I'm bouncing the head with my fingertips".

That was weird AF, but she didn't mention hair... I wonder if it's legit? 
  • edited May 2016
    *Edit because never mind if @BecauseBabyIamAPug says it's a thing then I believe it. Never heard of it myself, but hey that's cool your LO will have adorable NB hair!
    I will say that the few times I have the baby had a lot of hair. Also, none of them were white babies. A few black ones born with the cutest little afro and one Asian and one Hispanic baby. Like tons of think long hair.

Eta, also the mom were a lot more dilated then 1 cm. If my memory is right,  over 5cm.  Maybe? 

• When I was in labour I had a student midwife check my progress and say "oh I can feel his hair". My baby was born pretty much entirely bald. I don't know what she was feeling but it wasn't baby hair :neutral: 
    Hilarious!
  • ecwkecwk member
    edited May 2016
    So you would be worried or you would not be?
    Sorry I should have clarified. I'd think it weird that the doctor could tell that the hair was curly. When I was giving birth in between pushes I felt my baby's head and couldn't tell the texture even though I was literally touching it, maybe because it was wet and slicked down? I even asked the midwife to look and tell me what it looked and the best she could tell was dark-ish. 
    So for the doctor to be able to feel curly hair through the sac seems crazy to me and I'd look at my doctor like she'd gone mad if she said that to me. I didn't mean to say you should be worried about your baby, I'm so sorry if you thought that's what I meant. However, I'm not a doctor and if @BecauseBabyIamAPug says it, I believe it! .

edit spelling 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk I never was able to tell the texture just that there is hair.  And the baby's head had to be pretty engaged to do so.
    I am not sure how they felt 'curly' hair at only 1cm and only 80%.
    My patients were in full blown labor.
    No sometimes,  I would feel the head. The scalp would be all squished up and that felt 'weird' and different.  
    But then again, I was the queen of accidently breaking water during cervical checks.  
  • During cervical checks my MW mentioned that she could feel his full head of hair, but nothing about texture. I was only about 1 cm dilated the first time she was able to tell me that. So it's possible to feel hair! The curly part I'm not so sure about.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18