October 2016 Moms
Options

Super random question: Mobiles

Does anyone actually use a traditional mobile on the crib anymore? I don't think any of my mommy friends have recently. Or if they did, they took them down pretty quickly. I wanted to see if anyone is even registering for/buying one. Any BTDT moms have an opinion? 
Me:33
DH: 34
Married: May 2011
TTC #1: May 2015
DS: 10/20/2016
TTC #2: June 2019
#2 EDD: 2/20/2020

Re: Super random question: Mobiles

• Options
    I was just thinking about this the other day. I think we took the mobile down when DD could stand up in her crib. I was worried that she would pull it down. I also don't remember using it much before that. 
  • Options
    We have a mobile, but it is suspended from the ceiling rather than attached to the crib. When DS was big enough to stand and reach for it, we raised it a little to make sure it is definitely out of reach. He likes looking at it, and it does add some interest to his room.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We've got one that I love!  I actually bought it ages ago because I loved it so much and saved it until we could get use out of it.  We will attach it with a standard arm and then when baby can reach it, we'll attach it to the ceiling.  Perfect for our hiker/nature room.  But yeah, I don't see many people having one mounted on the crib anymore.

1.JPG 218.2K

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    We plan on getting, or probably making one... if only for decoration. I'm having a hard time finding a design I like though. Our theme is vintage Disneyland, but I don't want to do a bunch of characters so I was thinking something to represent each land... like a rocket for tomorrowland, maybe a boat from the jungle cruise for adventureland ect. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    I had one with DD, but it came with her bedding set. Honestly, one never even crossed my mind with LO or with this little bean. 
  • Options
    annabenannaannabenanna member
    edited May 2016
    I have SOOOOO many favorited on my etsy account.... but dude, I'm not paying $186 for a damn mobile unless it can do the dishes and fold the laundry.  

I think I'm going to make one instead.  Been looking on pinterest for ideas.  

ETA to add the mobile I'm crushing on on etsy... but it's $192.  

• Options
    I purposely did not register for one. I think a mobile, although pretty to look at, is just one more thing to worry with 
  • Options
    Yes!  Little guys love to look at things. Just make sure it's raised out of reach as they grow.  I bought one off Etsy for My last baby, and I'm definitely getting one for this baby.
  • Options
    suzy311suzy311 member
    I'll be a FTM so I have no previous experience but I am planning on making a mobile. Amazon sells a lot of the "parts" to make your own and I'll just have to do some craft magic to make the little stuffed...hanging things. I might hang it from the ceiling to make sure it's out of reach once baby gets bigger.

It's times like these I wish I had learned to use the sewing machine I insisted on getting a few years ago!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I feel like they're a waste of money - probably will not be doing one for this baby.  Our DS had colic and reflux and didn't really even sleep in his crib until he was 6 months old because we tried to keep him on an incline.  The mobile never seemed to calm him down or put him to sleep.  So if you do decide to get one, maybe don't spend a ton of money on it.  Once they can stand up, you have to take it down anyway...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I have one on my LO's crib but we never really use it. He was more interested in the Baby Einstein Aquarium than anything else. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options
    @Julia70286 what a cute idea! The first one that came to mind for "vintage Disneyland" is an adorable hot air balloon one I've seen. Not technically Disney, but it has that vintage feel and colors.
  • Options
    We had one with DS and probably turned it on twice. As soon as he could stand it came down. I might hang something over the changing table for this baby, but not over the crib.
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    I have one on my LO's crib but we never really use it. He was more interested in the Baby Einstein Aquarium than anything else. 
    I've registered for the aquarium. My friend's little boy LOVES his. Another friend says it keeps her little girl awake....so we will see what happens! 
    Me:33
    DH: 34
    Married: May 2011
    TTC #1: May 2015
    DS: 10/20/2016
    TTC #2: June 2019
    #2 EDD: 2/20/2020
  • Options
    @ibabyloveb87 I had to take it off the crib lol. He kept playing with it when it was time to lay down and sleep. But he loved it when he was smaller, and still finds it entertaining at 17m old.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Married to DH for 6 years (together for 16)
    DS born 12.13.14
    DD born 10.15.16
    BFP 1.24.18, MC 3.13.18
    <3 BFP 4.25.19, EDD 12.31.19  <3

• Options
    @kmvisioli that is the mobile we have in our daughter's room! :) I luuurve it!
  • Options
    @kmvisioli Love it! I'm throwing that idea in the ring! Thanks! 
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    @Julia70286 that hit air balloon mobile is the bomb! We have it hanging from the ceiling and for as dainty as it looks, it's pretty resilient! It has been tugged on, tangled, and twisted round and round and is holding up great! :)
  • Options
    We're doing Super Mario so I'm hoping to get a set of those little keychain-sized plush mushrooms and a mobile frame and construct my own. Too bad I can't get it to play nintendo songs.

I have no experience with babies, but when I was a baby I had a mobile with circus animals on it, and my mom would talk to me about them, and my first word was "elephant." So they do have some effect on the kiddoes!