Pregnant after IF
Options

If you did PGS/PGD testing what additional prenatal testing did you do? Was it any different?

I was just curious to see what testing others are doing if you've already done genetic testing on yourself and/or the embryo. My doctor said that we might not need to do all the testing that is normally done in pregnancy. Thoughts? 

Re: If you did PGS/PGD testing what additional prenatal testing did you do? Was it any different?

• Options
    vssbrmvssbrm member
    Following - I am curious about this as well. We did a study, so we do not get to know if our bean was tested or not. Because of the study we do get a few extra tests we get to do... Any way following! 
    Married May 2009, TTC since November 2012 (Together since 2006 ish - had my eyes on him since 2001)
    Me: 32 (33 in May), Him: 37 (January)

DX: Me: High Prolactin, Possible Autoimmune Disease Issues, though RE not concerned (?)  New RE has a plan!!
           Him: Minor Varicocele, low morphology, slightly low count

History:

Beta 5/9/2016 BFP!!
    Embryo transfer scheduled for April 28, 2016 and beta test May 9, 2016 (day after Mother's Day!)
    Transfer Meds include: Lupron Depot (4/1), Minivelle Patch (every 3rd day), Estradiol (3x daily), Amoxicillin, Progesterone in Oil, Methylprednisonlone. Lovenox and baby asprin added after transfer. 

3/22/16 - Sono Saline ultrasound cyst to be aspirated on 4/1/16 if not cleared up by 3/29 US - It cleared on its own
    Retrieval 3/4/16 - 26 eggs retrieved, 23 mature, 20 fertilized, 14 embryos currently frozen
    Starting IVF Stims on +/- Feb 22, 2016
    HSG scheduled for 1-26-16 - All clear "beautiful uterus" (though inverted)

Switched clinics and now prepping for IVF in February / March

Fourth IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - December, 2015 - BFN
    Third IUI -  CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - November, 2015 - BFN
    Second IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - September, 2015 - BFN
    Started Prolactin Medication October 15 - Levels quickly regulated to with in normal range
    First IUI - CD3-7 100 Clomid w/ Ovidrel Trigger - August, 2015 - BFN
    After no BFPs (ever) First RE/Urologist visit in Feb 2015
    HSG w/ OB, 2014 = all clear
    Trying to conceive since November 2012
  • Options
    my doctor said that they would do the "standard PGS" testing since we are doing PGD for a single gene disorder. I'm assuming that is including all the trisomies and stuff, but not sure. We haven't yet started the IVF cycle, but I have a list of questions to ask at our next appointment, and that's one of them...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    my RE said that even though we did PGS,  we still needed to do the prenatal testing. He actually makes you sign as part of your consent forms that you will do prenatal testing with your OB. I think a lot of the testing now is just bloodwork. I know the one that tests for Down Syndrome is an ultrasound. I have an appt on Thursday with my OB and I am going to ask her about it. 
    Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    LynnNJLynnNJ member
    I spoke to my ob/gyn about this at my last annual checkup since my embryos were ones that all were considered genetically normal. He said they always do the bloodtest. (Not sure how many weeks this is at.) They also offer the amniocentesis to everyone,  but that choice is left up to you if you decide to it.

Pgd testing is supposed to be 99% accurate.  I think amniocentesis may even check for additional things,  but I'm not sure.

How far you go with the testing is up to each couple, but I don't think pgd will eliminate all chances of the baby having a condition. 
  • Options
    We did PGD but my husband and I where also tested for like 200+ plus diseases that can be passed on to the baby. Not sure what the test was called, but we did it at the same time as PGD. They just test to see if you and your partner are carriers for the same disease that cane be passed on. Luckily we weren't a match for anything. 
    ***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
    TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
    IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
    IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Retrieval #1 - April 2016
    FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
    Trying for baby #2...
    FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
    No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
    IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
    IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
    FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
    Trying for baby #3...
    FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

• Options
    LynnNJLynnNJ member
    @Tulips29 We did a genetic screening test long before I was pregnan.  It turned out that I was carrier for Gauchers and Canavan. My dh was not so it was not a problem.  
  • Options
    We checked for a lot of the basic genetic disorders (Tay Sachs, Fragile X, etc.) and neither DH nor I were carriers for any of them. We still opted for PGS just to check on the chromosomes of our embabies, but we did not do the chromosome testing on ourselves. They recommend an amniocentesis with your OB, but I will not be doing one.

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Will any of you be doing NIPT testing?
  • Options
    @Joyzie77 I didn't even know what that was until I googled it, lol. I'm not sure if we will, I suppose it depends on if insurance covers it or not.

---Trigger warning---

Me: 31 DH: 27
    TTC since April 2013
    Two cancelled IUIs in Aug and Sept '15 due to low motility/count
    IVF round 1: January 2016
    ER: February 17, 2016; 9 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 5 BB, 1 AB, all normal from PGS
    FET date: May 11, '16; transferred 1 AB embryo
    First beta: May 23, '16: 998!!  Second: May 25, '16: 1648
    EDD: January 27, 2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Joyzie77 I think my RE said that since we are doing PGD/PGS, we can choose not to do NIPT, but she always recommends her patients to do it as a "double check" since there is the rare teeny chance that the PGD/PGS are inaccurate.
  • Options
    Joyzie77 - we are doing the NIPT. It's basically jsut an ultrasound and bloodwork which I feel like can't hurt. 
    Me: 33 (no known issues)
    DH: 33 (lower motility; 0 morphology)
    TTC since Oct 2013
    IVF round 1 January 2016 (w/ ICSI)
    ER: February 17, 2016; 15 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 11 fertilized
    Day 5 Blastocysts: 8 sent for PGS - 5 Normal
    FET date: April 12, 2016 - DS born Dec 7, 2016
    IVF round 2: FET : Oct 4 - 1st Beta 188!

BabyFruit Ticker