September 2015 Moms

1st Birthdays are coming up fast

2»

Re: 1st Birthdays are coming up fast

• ems028ems028 member
    MW5280 said:
    Uhm...birthday themed? Yep. I think I'm gonna go with a birthday themed birthday. 

Am I the only mom who thinks a smash cake of any kind and margaritas for the adults is all that is really needed for a 1st bday?

Sorry for being "that mom" but it's not like LO is gonna remember and they'll be cute in the pics no matter what the theme is, so why stress over it? :-)
    This! I honestly don't see the point in throwing a MASSIVE party for a 1 year old.
  • These are all cute themes! I made a secret pinterest board for my son's birthday since he was about 2 months old but I can't believe how close its getting! :(
  • Loading the player...
  • kmcshane0211kmcshane0211 member
    edited May 2016
    Birthdays are celebrated on my side of the family but not as big of a deal on H's side. I do want to properly celebrate my daughter's 1st birthday but don't want to go overboard. For a number of reasons, I don't want to be too indulgent and I'm uncomfortable with a 1 year old receiving oodles of toys. How much does one child need? So, I may suggest people not bring gifts. Maybe books? I'm confident my child won't hate me too much when she's older. ;)

We're thinking of hosting a BBQ, since she was born earlier in September and the weather will still be nice around us (Chicago). I'd like to keep it classic with no theme. Balloons, simple cake, party hats! I do LOVE to plan parties and host so I will definitely set up different stations with finger-sized appetizers, sweets, etc. And of course delicious drinks for the adults! Aka my husband will insist we get a keg of Lauganitas ;)

• dAsch14dAsch14 member
    MW5280 said:
    Uhm...birthday themed? Yep. I think I'm gonna go with a birthday themed birthday. 

Am I the only mom who thinks a smash cake of any kind and margaritas for the adults is all that is really needed for a 1st bday?

Sorry for being "that mom" but it's not like LO is gonna remember and they'll be cute in the pics no matter what the theme is, so why stress over it? :-)
    Yes, and I'll even add an unpopular opinion : I think smash cakes are stupid. I'm going to buy you a beautiful, expensive cake so you can destroy it and not even eat it? Nuh uh. You can have ONE piece of cake like every child born before 2010, and I'll eat the rest of it, because I kept you alive for a year and I deserve it ;)
    Yes! I'm totally in this boat as well. DH and I will be having a great party, but there will be no theme except..."Here's some great food, drinks, and cake!" This party will be more family friendly than the parties we've had in the past, but I'm sure after the kids go to bed the adults will still being enjoying drinks on the deck.

I've endured some pretty awful babies birthday parties. No food, cake & punch only, kids games (for a party with only adults???), a "here's trivia about my baby" game....what? No thanks.
  • vibarra27vibarra27 member
    edited May 2016
    dAsch14 said:
    MW5280 said:

Yes, and I'll even add an unpopular opinion : I think smash cakes are stupid. I'm going to buy you a beautiful, expensive cake so you can destroy it and not even eat it? Nuh uh. You can have ONE piece of cake like every child born before 2010, and I'll eat the rest of it, because I kept you alive for a year and I deserve it ;)
    Yes! I'm totally in this boat as well. DH and I will be having a great party, but there will be no theme except..."Here's some great food, drinks, and cake!" This party will be more family friendly than the parties we've had in the past, but I'm sure after the kids go to bed the adults will still being enjoying drinks on the deck.

I've endured some pretty awful babies birthday parties. No food, cake & punch only, kids games (for a party with only adults???), a "here's trivia about my baby" game....what? No thanks.
    What in the hell? Why would they even waste peoples time? I have a big family so I've always had kids who can enjoy the party with DD(5). Starting this year she has to share her party with the twins since their bdays are a week apart. I always have food & games & make sure i play games that the parents can be involved in with their kids. But really? A baby trivia about a baby you dont really know?
  • Birthdays are celebrated on my side of the family but not as big of a deal on H's side. I do want to properly celebrate my daughter's 1st birthday but don't want to go overboard. For a number of reasons, I don't want to be too indulgent and I'm uncomfortable with a 1 year old receiving oodles of toys. How much does one child need? So, I may suggest people not bring gifts. Maybe books? I'm confident my child won't hate me too much when she's older. ;)

We're thinking of hosting a BBQ, since she was born earlier in September and the weather will still be nice around us (Chicago). I'd like to keep it classic with no theme. Balloons, simple cake, party hats! I do LOVE to plan parties and host so I will definitely set up different stations with finger-sized appetizers, sweets, etc. And of course delicious drinks for the adults! Aka my husband will insist we get a keg of Lauganitas ;)

My LO was also born the first few days of September and 'relaxing bbq' is what I'm going for. On the gift thing, I know we aren't suppose to tell people what to gift our LO's....BUT I also don't want a million toys LO will never get to really use cluttering up my house. I'm worried about it. I might say 'no gifts please' on the invitation? I hate clutter. Or, just let people bring whatever they want and I'll donate it to a local non for profit in my LO's honor? 
  • LoveLee85 said:
    Birthdays are celebrated on my side of the family but not as big of a deal on H's side. I do want to properly celebrate my daughter's 1st birthday but don't want to go overboard. For a number of reasons, I don't want to be too indulgent and I'm uncomfortable with a 1 year old receiving oodles of toys. How much does one child need? So, I may suggest people not bring gifts. Maybe books? I'm confident my child won't hate me too much when she's older. ;)

My LO was also born the first few days of September and 'relaxing bbq' is what I'm going for. On the gift thing, I know we aren't suppose to tell people what to gift our LO's....BUT I also don't want a million toys LO will never get to really use cluttering up my house. I'm worried about it. I might say 'no gifts please' on the invitation? I hate clutter. Or, just let people bring whatever they want and I'll donate it to a local non for profit in my LO's honor? 
    In the same boat, I like the books only suggestion from pp, I might do that & return/ donate the really excessive stuff I'm sure she'll still receive... (Grandma) cough cough...
  • I've been to first (and even older) birthdays where the invite said something along the lines of "I'm blessed to have family and friends who've already given me lots of love and playthings. If you would like to give a gift, please donate a fun toy to XYZ Charity for other babies to enjoy." I also hate clutter (my mom hates my house because she says it doesn't feel like a "child lives there" since we have all baby's toys hidden away when he's not playing with them) so I totally get not wanting to add more stuff, and I'm thinking we'll do something like this.

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • We have several friends that we just get savings bonds for their kids for each birthday. By the time they are 18, maybe our gift can buy them a couple college text books, lol 

with savings bonds, it's all online so someone just needs some basic info and they can do it all electronically. 
  • @Lizlann @LoveLee85 I'm with you. We try to keep excess toys stocked away and I just rotate out about 6-10 toys every few days. If kids have access and can see all their toys all the time (babies included) they get overstimulated and bored. It's better to mix things up every few days. And to do that you only needs about 10 toys for each phase. My daughter loves to play with boxes, empty egg cartons, empty canisters, wooden spoons, pots and pans, etc. No thanks on the excessive plastic toys that make too much noise!
  • We're doing a small get together at our house. My parents, in-laws, and a couple of our friends will be there, probably less than 15 people total. I do plan to decorate with a "twinkle twinkle little star, one year old is what you are" theme, which I'm sure has been done a million times before lol. We'll get chipotle to cater and have beer/margaritas for the adults. I'll probably have the bakery across the street do a small smash cake and some cupcakes for the adults. Nothing major.

I also can't stand clutter and I'm really picky with LO's clothes, so I think we're going to ask people to maybe buy her a book instead or just buy one to donate. I grew up in a a household where I received and obscene amount of crap for birthdays/holidays that ended up in a yard sale for $1 the following spring, which is pointless/wasteful. So I'm hoping our families will respect that, but I'm not gonna hold my breath lol.