Babies: 6 - 9 Months

baby fell off bed!

My 7.5 month old rolled off my bed today and i just cant stop freaking out! I dont know what i was thinking, i turned around for 1 second and he somehow made it to the end of the bed and rolled off. We have hard wooden floors and our bed is pretty high up but i called the doctor and he said unless he shows signs of a concussion he should be fine.He does have a small bump on his forehead but other than that he seems fine. I feel like i could have caused some permanent damage and just cant forgive myself! I know im not perfect but i am extremely careful when it comes to him and seeing his face after he fell just breaks my heart.

Re: baby fell off bed!

• It happens. Babies are built tougher than people think. My LO would crawl over a cliff if I wasn't on top of him. I use guardrails on my bed but he's pulling up on them now so im just puthing the mattress on the floor until we're done cosleeping. 
  • Try not to be so hard on yourself. 
  • Loading the player...
  • It sucks when they hurt themselves when we could have prevented it but it happens to all of us. Babies are tough
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• It happened to us last week (bed to hardwood floor). Baby is fine- was more scared than hurt. Of course I feel horrible but it won't be the last time babies will hurt themselves. It happens a lot, especially babies 5-8 months because they are more mobile. Don't beat yourself up
  • Please try to not beat yourself up.  We are on our second girl and both have taken a tumble.  My husband and I felt terrible (both x's), but as soon as the tears were gone, those LO's are right back at it.  Get back at it too and cut yourself some slack.  
  • Mine has fallen off the bed 4 times. Once before I knew he could crawl, TWICE with DH and once when he would only sleep in my arms so we went to bed and he woke up and crawled off the bed. That was Mother's Day and I felt so bad the whole day. It happens. 
    Missed Miscarriage 3/27 D&C 3/29/2012
  • Yep, mine fell off the bed about a week ago. Thankfully our floor is carpeted, but my son was very upset (cried for about 10 minutes). He's okay though; it happens. He's almost 8 months.
  • Don't beat yourself up but don't let it happen again. Something serious could just as easily happen. Idk how you let it happen 4 times like PP that is a little concerning. Shake it off and find a solution. My LO is 8 months and I recently brought up the bouncer to put her in when I'm getting ready and stuff since she started moving around on the bed a lot. 
  • Don't beat yourself up but don't let it happen again. Something serious could just as easily happen. Idk how you let it happen 4 times like PP that is a little concerning. Shake it off and find a solution. My LO is 8 months and I recently brought up the bouncer to put her in when I'm getting ready and stuff since she started moving around on the bed a lot. 
    Don't be judgey. Shit happens to the best of us. 
    When the kid gets a concussion are you going to say to the doctor 'shit happens'?! That is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in awhile. I'm not judging, it's simply a fact that a baby falling 4 times is not healthy. 
  • This happened to my daughter at around the same age. She cried as soon as she hit the floor and my floor is tiled. I was devastated she was fine, but I still took her to the emergency to ensure she was ok,  they did a neuro exam and monitored her for  6 hours by checkin fb her vitals etc.  Just to be reassured. Doc told me 'don't worry mama it happens. My son fell of the bed once.' Just keep close eye on her' I think that was to reassure me that it happens to the best of us. Keep that head up mama. 

• I put my mattress on the floor because we cosleep and he started to climb the guardrails I put up. I once woke up to him on the floor still sleeping. He can crawl on and off. When he gets a little older I'll put his mattress on floor next to mine as I transition him out of my bed. Looks silly but 1 less thing to worry about.
  • amp61470amp61470 member
    edited June 2016
    Don't beat yourself up but don't let it happen again. Something serious could just as easily happen. Idk how you let it happen 4 times like PP that is a little concerning. Shake it off and find a solution. My LO is 8 months and I recently brought up the bouncer to put her in when I'm getting ready and stuff since she started moving around on the bed a lot. 
    Well one before we knew he could roll, once when he fell asleep with me and he had just started crawling and managed to make it over the memory foam pillows I picked up and once when Dad turned away for a second. wasn't home the other time. He actually only bumped his head once or had a bump once, but thanks for making me feel like crap. I appreciate it.  Aren't you a little judgy. 
  • At the risk of being shot down in flames. . I actually agree with Christina.
    It was the one thing i was always told..never leave babies unattended on the couch,  bed,  change table,  etc. 
    It happened to you the first time,  but then 3 more times after? ! 
    You arent always going to get only positive opinions on the Internet,  especially with posts like this. 

• Also,  obviously I'm glad your baby is ok. Don't beat yourself up but try to ensure this doesn't happen again
  • melalinga said:
    At the risk of being shot down in flames. . I actually agree with Christina.
    It was the one thing i was always told..never leave babies unattended on the couch,  bed,  change table,  etc. 
    It happened to you the first time,  but then 3 more times after? ! 
    You arent always going to get only positive opinions on the Internet,  especially with posts like this. 

I also agree. 4 times is a lot. Babies show signs of being able to roll before they actually roll over, so you had to know that rolling was a possibility. And if you are going to cosleep, please make sure you know how to do it safely. 

As for judging, you decided to post on an internet forum, did you really think that no one would judge your statements? If you had lurked at all you would know that is not realistic. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was responsible once, when it was 3 am and we fell asleep with me. I was not in the room any other time and trust me DH heard about it. And while it's the internet I don't think we need to be judgy. I am not a perfect parent but I am also not neglectful. 
  • Accidents happen! My son fell out of a chair because my sister put him in it and walked away. I watched the whole thing happen from the next room and I didn't even think, wait what is she doing. I felt awful! I took him to the ER, but he was fine. He's also bumped his head a million times while not being in high places. Head bumps are part of learning and growing up.

@amp61470 I give you kudos for having the courage to admit it has happened more than once. So many people refuse to be honest about their mistakes so go you for being real! 
  • Accidents happen! My son fell out of a chair because my sister put him in it and walked away. I watched the whole thing happen from the next room and I didn't even think, wait what is she doing. I felt awful! I took him to the ER, but he was fine. He's also bumped his head a million times while not being in high places. Head bumps are part of learning and growing up.

@amp61470 I give you kudos for having the courage to admit it has happened more than once. So many people refuse to be honest about their mistakes so go you for being real! 
    Agreed. Kudos to admitting!!
  • Thank you ladies. As I said I am not perfect and it happened he is fine. He's a happy healthy baby. S@&t happens. 
  • I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only one who did this!!! I did the same thing earlier this week with my 8 month old daughter. I had no idea she could crawl so fast!! She hit our hard wood floors too and I freaked out. I'm also pregnant with baby # 2 so hormones added to my freak out. My husband told me that it would be fine but I called the doctor and she said the same thing your doctor said. She was fine two days later. I gave her infant ibuprofen and she was back to normal in a few hours. 
  • This just happened a few minutes ago! 
  • I think the main thing that all these accidents illustrate is that they happen in the blink of an eye and often when the baby is able to achieve a new milestone (e.g., roll over, crawl). That’s a good reminder to not count on our babies not being able to do something yet, but always treat them as if they can, and to not let go of them for that 1 second when they could fall (e.g., bed, couch, chair, changing table). Although accidents can and will always happen, it would be devastating if the baby got seriously hurt when we knew better. The guilt would be tremendous.
  • Don't let these horrible judgey women make you feel bad. My GMA who has raised tons of kids says it's gonna happen 10 times more because you can't always know. Accidents do happen and babies are tougher. I think they are overly critical and most likely have had their babies fall more than your 4. Putting down other moms is something I can't stand