July 2016 Moms
Options

Ask a BTDT mom questions about birth/recovery/breastfeeding

Re: Ask a BTDT mom questions about birth/recovery/breastfeeding

• Options
    @megstervt We only used night lights between 7 and 7 except for while changing messy diapers, then we used the nursery lamp which had a pretty low watt bulb and was more decorative than useful, but sufficient for the job.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ktomorrow said:
    Has anyone experienced pizza while breastfeeding? My mum swears she had to quit pizza because it made me and my brother crazy for hours.  This is a sad sad possibility that I'm refusing to credit, but still... Thoughts? Tell me it's a superstition please.
    @ktomorrow some babies may react to certain foods. My mom told me to avoid chocolate - I can't remember exactly why but maybe she said it causes gas or constipation? Anyways, hell no was I giving up chocolate unless absolutely necessary, so I didn't, and DD had zero ill effects. On the other hand I know some people who had to avoid certain food groups like dairy because their LO had an intolerance.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    BettyRuBettyRu member
    Boob feeding accessory recommendations:  Bamboobies... reusable bra pads that prevent you from leaking.  They are great and I found so much better than disposables.  REAL NURSING BRAS... please, please, do not go get the Medela ones at BRU just because they are there and you dont know where to go to get fitted properly.  If you have a large chest (soon to be larger, please don't do that to yourself), do some research now on where you can get fitted by a professional.  I've also said that I'm going to try baby wearing more this time, I'm looking at a baby ktan & a Lilliebaby Complete, but I don't own them yet, so....  Just didn't know to wear the baby inside with my last one :)
  • Options
    @BettyRu I bought a Lillebaby All Seasons this time around and have tried it some with 19 month old DD (mostly just to figure it out and because she was dying to try it). DH took her for about a mile walk in it and found it comfortable. So far, I really like it.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @whataboutscience we got the same one, in addition to a solly baby wrap. We went for the all seasons in particular because my husband is a sweaty guy, and I want him to be able to wear the baby comfortably. I've heard great things about it!

• Options
    @elenabrent Not to mention it will be summer and a lot of women are very sweaty in the weeks post labor due to hormones. I liked that it didn't require an infant insert and baby can face out. I know it's preferable to face in, but DD absolutely hated that, so I want my options open. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Any STM's have a mamaroo last time? Is the infant insert needed? Or can baby just be swaddled in it and still be safe?
  • Options
    LDSJM123 said:
    Any STM's have a mamaroo last time? Is the infant insert needed? Or can baby just be swaddled in it and still be safe?
    I have one for this baby (didn't have one with my first), but my friend didn't use one with her baby. She said that she felt he was too squished in there, and his chin was always at his chest (so it looked like it was cutting off his airway)....without the insert. So she ended up buying one, and it pushed him up enough that he wasn't so low in the seat and his airway was open more. 
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @randishane011804 I never felt tempted enough to try it, but I tore in 3 places, 1 second degree. I did do a lot of kegels and have heard a theory that kegels may cause your muscles to be tighter and tear more easily. For what it's worth, I pushed for less than 5 minutes when the average is something like 2 hours. Maybe related to the kegels and why I tore.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'm excited to see people say good things about the Lillebaby All Seasons because I just dropped $150 on it. ;)  I went back and forth forever on which type of carrier to get.
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married: 05/31/2008
    DS: 11/06/2012 at 38w 1d
    M/C: 06/11/2015
    DD: 06/14/2016 at 37w 3d
  • Options
    My sister in law had the infant insert for the mamaroo and her baby hated it. He was way happier in there without it. We bought it anyways just Incase but I'm guessing it depends on the baby! 
    @LDSJM123
  • Options
    @randishane011804 it depends on who you ask. We're doing it because it "can" help, obviously there are no guarantees and I'm not sure how they could really measure it since every labor/woman/baby is different. IMO there is really no downside to doing it - even if it doesn't totally prevent/reduce tearing, it's still a good practice exercise for me to know what the stretching/pressure in that area will feel like. It's just a matter of time invested. 
  • Options
    Just found out from my doc today that if I have a normal vaginal delivery, it is encouraged to exercise as soon as I'm up for it.  I was super excited cuz I've been exercising 5-6 times a week and thought I would be unable to after delivery.  I'm a huge fan of exercise for mental health reasons!  She said to take things slow and listen to my body if something feels bad.  STMs, when were you feeling up to exercise after delivery?  I'm not talking about anything strenuous, just a walk around a block or two.
  • Options
    I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I couldn't find a clear answer from the search function. How many nursing bras do you guys recommend buying??
  • Options
    Nursing covers yay or nay? 
  • Options
    @backbypopulardemand Personal preference. I am more modest than most. I bought the ones that look like scarves so I can eat "fashionable". Well, actually I registered for them and got them. 
  • Options
    @ladyfleck Thank you! I figured I would wait until my milk comes in and just buy one sleeping bra for the hospital. I was thinking 2 regular bras and 2 sleep bras? I don't really like wearing camisoles.
  • Options
    Haha I should clarify my exercising has gotten slower and slower and slower as time has gone on......and slower
  • Options
    @Backbypopulardemand I tried to use a cover. At first it made it more awkward. I couldn't easily check to make sure the latch was right, my oversupply would spray all over her face before i could get cover moved gracefully,etc. I tried again when I as more comfortable BFing and then she would unlatch to grab the cover and I would flash everyone anyway. For me it was easier without it, in a pinch you could use a light blanket without having to buy something specific 
  • Options
    shaylalr said:
    I hope this hasn't been asked before, but I couldn't find a clear answer from the search function. How many nursing bras do you guys recommend buying??
    I have 4. I don't think there is really a cut and dry answer. I was just thinking about laundry and leaking through them, which happens. I'm cheap too so 4 was plenty ;)
  • Options
    @Backbypopulardemand if you aren't icked out by used stuff a nursing cover is the perfect thing to get used, I was just at our local kids consignment shop and they had like 20 of them. One size fits all and it isn't like they really get worn out or anything so you don't waste much if you don't end up needing it. I EP'd last time and I would sometimes throw it on over my pumping bra if I was pumping somewhere not completely private. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @Backbypopulardemand and @shaylalr I have 2-3 nursing bras that I wore all the time.. Just make sure you buy comfy ones that fit right! And I also have two nursing covers (a heavier one for winter and lighter one for summer.. Bc it gets chilly with a boob out). I almost always used a cover in public if the baby allowed, but never at home.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    shaylalr said:
    @shaylalr I had 2 nursing bras and a nursing tank top with built in bra. I was on a limited budget at the time and these were relatively expensive, but I plan to buy 1-2 more this time because I found it wasn't quite enough.
  • Options
    @Backbypopulardemand I had a friend give me a hand-me-down (brand is Hooter Hider) and I loved it in the early days. For the first couple of months breastfeeding for me wasn't subtle - boobs were out, DD took a bit of time to latch and then at times would unlatch unexpectedly, etc. Using a receiving blanket was tricky because I needed both my hands to get DD latched properly, so I didn't have a hand to make sure the blanket stayed in place. Plus with a blanket or scarf DD and I couldn't make eye contact - the nursing covers have a hard boning part that keeps it open at the neck so you and LO can look at each other and connect. I also actually really liked it for when I felt like family was baby hogging - I would feed DD under the cover and then pretend she was still eating when actually I was just snuggling my sleeping baby. Stopped the inlaws from swooping in for sleepy cuddles the second she finished.

Once DD got a bit older she didn't like it, and started yanking on it and fussing. But by then I was masterful at subtle nursing so I didn't feel I needed it anymore - I'd just lay a receiving blanket or scarf over my shoulder/the top of my chest so that I could flick it down if DD unlatched quickly.
  • Options
    @Backbypopulardemand check out milksnob for a nursing cover/car seat cover combo. They have cheaper similar products on Amazon too. I figure I will use it one way or the other. 
  • Options
    kim1989kim1989 member
    I never really wanted to be completely on show while feeding so I've always used them. I always watch to see that baby has latched and then cover them. As they get older and a bit more prone to moving and looking around I just made the blanket cover their mouths and not their whole head. 
    I also used them for burping in case of milk spit up because they're pretty thick so can soak up a lot of milk and are convenient because you've already got it on hand 
  • Options
    @Backbypopulardemand @theshannondee I was going to recommended Milk Snob too. I just got mine in the mail and I cannot wait to use it. It is not only a nursing cover but also a car seat cover. I plan on using it in as a car seat cover when he is little so randos don't just try and touch him when we are out and then I will have it with me when I need to nurse. And they have super cute prints! I think I need like 3 more :wink: 
  • Options
    @austinjl I was probably physically ready to work out around 2 or 3 weeks when the bleeding was less heavy, but I was so tired from only sleeping 3.5 or 4 hours a day (colicky baby) that I didn't try until 6 weeks and it wasn't regular then.

@backbypopulardemand Depends on you. I would be uncomfortable uncovered and always used a cover. Some babies and moms hate them. My daughter never seemed to notice, but even if she did, I'd probably try to find a way to make it work. I have body issues and am uncomfortable enough in a women's changing room, let alone out in public.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Backbypopulardemand @theshannondee @arhodes6 I'm between milk snob and covered goods - they're essentially the same thing :)
  • Options
    WevilleWeville member
    I was given a cover but it seems so heavy. I had just figured I'd use a muslin blanket if I felt I needed a cover 
  • Options
    I had a cover (udder cover) but didn't like it - it made the whole process a lot harder than it needed to me. Baby didn't like it, I had trouble adjusting it and seeing her, etc. However, this time I'm probably going to order the Milk Snob bc I really like the over-the-carseat feature; if I happen to use it as a cover (doubtful, but you never know) it'll be an added bonus. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016