July 2015 Moms

Chicco Keyfit30

At our 9 mos appointment my son was 27 inches and 20 lbs. It's a month later and I'm not sure how much he's grown in length! I know the Keyfit height limit is 30 inches. Has anyone else switched over to the next type of car seat? I have the Britax toddler seat in my basement, wondering if it's time...

Re: Chicco Keyfit30

• n3na94n3na94 member
    I'm going to have to go buy a convertible this weekend. My son was 29 in on his 9 month check up. He will be 10 months Saturday and we have the gracco and the limit is 32in. I think he will like the convertible car seat better. 
  • Nope not yet. Our daughter is 10 1/2 months 13 lbs 8 oz so not there yet haha :)
  • Loading the player...
  • We had the Chicco Keyfit 30 and just switched 2 weeks ago. My LO was 28 1/2in at 9 month apt (she'll be 10 month on Sat) so I figured it was time! Now I can say....I was a crazy person when choosing a convertible car seat!! I bought 3 (no lie) and ended up choosing the Chicco NextFit - I'm so obsessed with this car seat!! Should have known since I love the KeyFit. My LO literally falls asleep every time I put her in it lol it's so soft. 
  • We switched at 5 months. We had the keyfit 30 as well and I just got sick of carrying it around. Plus we got an awesome deal on the graco 4ever on black friday. I couldnt pass it up! 
  • Just bought the Graco 4 ever. They have them on zulily today so I bought one. Lo is 29 in at his last appt and I think he'll be more comfy in the new seat. 
  • We switched LO to the Chicco Nextfit at 6 months.  She loves it and we do too!!
  • I heard once the top of their head is within an inch of the top of the infant seat, it's time to switch. So long torso babies will switch sooner than long legged, even if they're the same height!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We switched baby boy to a Britax Marathon G4.1 at 7 mos. He's such a tall boy, though, already 32" tall!
  • My DD is 29 3/4 inches and 18.4 lbs...we have the keyfit also. Are the car seats you all switched to still rear facing?? I think the recommendation now is rest until age 2.
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    Melis222 said:
    My DD is 29 3/4 inches and 18.4 lbs...we have the keyfit also. Are the car seats you all switched to still rear facing?? I think the recommendation now is rest until age 2.
    That's what I heard that it's till age 2 now but then another mom told me that it depends how big my baby is.!?? 
  • Rear facing is recommended until at the earliest 2. If you can go to the limits of the seats, thats even better. Their skeletons arent ready for the force felt while forward facing in car crashes until then. This is a great link that explains it.

https://csftl.org/why-rear-facing-the-science-junkies-guide/
  • We switched LO to a convertible seat at 9 months, she is much happier now that she has room for her legs and head! She was 29 inches at her 9 month check up.

And yes, still rear facing but the seat is longer to accommodate her growing body!