July 2015 Moms

Playing alone

How long do your babies play by themselves? If my LO goes off to play, she is usually back within 10 minutes. If she is playing and I start to get up, she'll race towards me like I'm leaving forever. I'd love to do the dishes. They never get done before her bedtime. 

Re: Playing alone

• n3na94n3na94 member
    My baby boy is also like this, Now he does dishes with me, he holds on the dishwasher door while standing, sometimes I put him In his high chair and also talk to him while I do dishes. They've been inside of us for so many months that they sometimes or always need mommy lol 
  • I put LO in the high chair with a couple toys and some cheerios on the chair's tray and let her watch me while I cook and do dishes. She usually seems pretty satisfied with that.
    Read about my motherhood journey and more at http://hallidaynelson.com/
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

TTGP July Siggy Challenge: Summer Fails
  • Loading the player...
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    Maybe we need a high chair then. Lol. She has a booster seat, but we don't have a dinning area so we just sit the seat on the floor to eat. I'm hoping she'll be better after we move in a few weeks and I start sleep training her again. 
  • Depends. She is pretty independent. She goes off into her room and plays with her toys and she loves pulling out books and she can sit there for 30 min just flipping through the pages. She has always been like that though. 
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    AziaNick said:
    Depends. She is pretty independent. She goes off into her room and plays with her toys and she loves pulling out books and she can sit there for 30 min just flipping through the pages. She has always been like that though. 
    Holy cow I would love that. I had my LO in her crib playing with toys while I cleaned out the closest. I was surprised she just stayed in the crib to watch me. But once I got out of her site for a second, she started crying. 
  • AKOL0 said:
    AziaNick said:
    Depends. She is pretty independent. She goes off into her room and plays with her toys and she loves pulling out books and she can sit there for 30 min just flipping through the pages. She has always been like that though. 
    Holy cow I would love that. I had my LO in her crib playing with toys while I cleaned out the closest. I was surprised she just stayed in the crib to watch me. But once I got out of her site for a second, she started crying. 
    When she was younger we did behavioral therapy with her so she could get used to other people and one of the things we did was disappear and reappear. So we would leave her alone and say we will be right back for about couple minutes and then eventually we could do it for 30 minutes. it doesn't always work haha but only recently she has been able to do this long. 
  • My LO is a lot like yours. The only thing that will sustain her attention longer than 10 minutes is a rolling bouncy ball, which she chases around. I let her help me do the chores. 
  • Sounds exactly like my LO. Tomorrow is cleaning day so I will also try the highchair and cheerio idea. 
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    Since I posted asking this, my LO has been better at playing by herself. However, I still can leave the room or hardly even move. Lol. If I am sitting on the floor and move to a chair, she'll turn around fast to make sure I am not leaving her alone in the room. I mostly wanted her to get better because we are moving and we really need to finish packing. She still isn't quite to the point where I can pack for 20 or so minutes with out little hands climbing up me. Thank you for the advice and letting me know I'm not alone.
  • @AziaNick -- What is behavioral therapy?  Why did you go in & did it work?
  • @AziaNick -- What is behavioral therapy?  Why did you go in & did it work?
    She is with early intervention because of a few things but one of the reasons for the behavioral therapy is becasue she has a chromosome abnormality that links to autism. So it is really simple actually and I am sure everyone does it :) we work on eye contact and communication with Her. When we play, eat or talk to her we encourage her to make eye contact. Another thing would be socialization. Let her get used to different environments and people. She needs to be with someone different for at least 30 minutes everyday. So working on interaction and again eye contact. At first we would start off by leaving her for a couple minutes and then coming back to let her know we were there and then 10 minutes and so on. we even do it with her eating. Putting her food on our plate and then giving it to her so is interested. Or eating the same color as her or using the same utensils. We have problems with her social and her eating so we mainly involve behavioral therapy with those things. there are a lot of things that you can do though and of course it is different for every child :) good luck! :D