June 2015 Moms

Baby's sleep habits

2»

Re: Baby's sleep habits

• swiebe said:
    i get a shorter morning nap from LO (30 min to an hour) and then he takes a longer afternoon nap, sometimes 2+ hours.  
    Ditto this. It was the opposite until last week. 
  • Y'all...we've STTN 3 nights in a row. I think we're on to something here. He may still wake up at 5, but he's sleeping 9-10 hours! we've never done any sleep training either! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @jessieR358 I am soooo jealous. What does your night time routine look like?  I almost feel like LO is now reverse cycling and wants to eat eat eat at night/overnight, and is down to only 2 bottles during the day. Is that possible at 10.5 months?  I had one night maybe 2-3 weeks ago that he sttn.  It's been at least 2-3 wakeups since.  
  • swiebe said:
    @jessieR358 I am soooo jealous. What does your night time routine look like?  I almost feel like LO is now reverse cycling and wants to eat eat eat at night/overnight, and is down to only 2 bottles during the day. Is that possible at 10.5 months?  I had one night maybe 2-3 weeks ago that he sttn.  It's been at least 2-3 wakeups since.  
    My LO still eats more in the evenings. He moved his bedtime up to 7:00-7:30 on his own recently and he seems to sleep much better. We do dinner at 5-5:30, bath and then start winding down (this has been our routine for about 6-8 weeks). I nurse him anywhere between 6:30 and 7:30 and he's out. Now last night he fussed and wanted to nurse for an hour so i just watched tv and let him until he was really out. Then put him in his crib. You know he won't sleep tonight since I'm bragging on him ;) 
  • My little girl has slept 8 hours straight the last three nights ever since we started to give her a bottle before bed in addition to nursing. Turns out I haven't been making enough milk in the evenings to keep her satisfied. I feel bad but glad we figured this out. One night waking is so much better than the 2-3 we've been accustomed to. Hoping I hsve enough in my freezer stash to get her through a bit longer. 
  • @jessieR358 I hope he slept through the night again last night :)
    Last night LO slept a bit better, I got him down in his crib by 8, he got up at 10:30, then 12:30, which is when i caved and we coslept in the guest bed.  He then basically slept till 6 this morning.  Phew. I needed a decent stretch. I was feeling so worn down these last few days.  
    @ciennah99  I hope she slept well last night too!  I tried to cut out that bottle before bed a month or so ago, and totally jacked with our routine.  Now he still gets that bottle and nurses too.  But we are still not sttn.
  • @swiebe yes last night was night 3 of only one middle of the night wakening. I'm not sleeping good myself but hopefully I can get some rest this weekend.
  • @ciennah99 way to go to your babe :)  and i am with you on the hopes for good sleep this weekend!
  • @swiebe he slept last night but took 2 hours to go down. I finally threw my hands up and gave him to DH bc I was at my wits end. So he slept from 9:30-5:40. He woke up at 3:30 but put himself to sleep. Still think he's doing awesome! He has been teething bad this week so that could be the culprit. 
    So glad you got a 6 hour stretch! 
  • bwow615bwow615 member
    edited May 2016
    Thanks @mellymar I may need to look into sleep training. I think these night wakings are becoming routine to him and I cave and feed him. Shame on me, but I do it knowing he will go back down that much easier. 

Eta night not knight
  • LO, has been in our bed for months now. He is moving way more now. I think it's time to get him back to his crib. Starting today and gearing up for lots of crying 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Good luck @beemaya83 we did it about a month ago it was hard but is nice now. We still have some middle of the night fussiness occasionally but it's loads better.
  • I'm so nervous. I think I have separation anxiety. But we really need our bed back. Thank you for the motivation. Is yours in his own room? @mjschenk
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Yes he right across the hall maybe twenty steps from our room
  • Night 1 he puked all his dinner 5 minutes in. Changed him and bedding and went straight for business. Sound asleep after 40 min. We'll see how the night goes! The crib is stillin our room. I'll probably step out if he wakes Again. I told DH to hide @mjschenk
    Pregnancy Ticker

• mlindzzmlindzz member
    @beemaya83 We just tackled this, or are still tackling this I suppose! We started with naps in the crib, then just going down at night (after he woke for his first feed) then bringing him back to bed. Now he's in there for naps and all night. Making the changes a few weeks apart I think helped. We are just now getting the playpen set up in his nursery, so for a week or two he can adjust to naps in his room before we move the crib over for bedtime too. He did some protesting when I would lay him back in the crib at first of course. I would rub his back or rock him and lay him back down drowsy, eventually he falls asleep. Last night there wasn't a single protest, yay! But he's still up every 2-3 hours for a snack, so, there's that part we need to figure out.
  • I've come to realize we need to make adjustments to sleeping methods because we know our kids best. I hope LO adjusted well once he moves into his own room. @MurLindzzYesterday was the third day. He protested and vomited once again. After the second time I went in, he was fine and slept within 20 minutes. I think he gets more pissed within the first 5 min I go in. So tonight the game plan is to put him in crib and wait at least 10 minutes before going in. In the upside, the past three nights he has woken only once for feeding each night. He moves like crazy! @mjschenk
    Pregnancy Ticker

• slr1229slr1229 member
    My kid only gets 1 nap at daycare and is beyond exhausted when we get home that nights aren't fun for anyone bc she is so grumpy and ready for bed before 7 bedtime.  On the weekends she naps 3x a day!  Idk how they do it w just 1 nap.

nights- she sleeps through even if she's too tired to eat her night bottle.  We're lucky there.
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    slr1229 said:
    My kid only gets 1 nap at daycare and is beyond exhausted when we get home that nights aren't fun for anyone bc she is so grumpy and ready for bed before 7 bedtime.  On the weekends she naps 3x a day!  Idk how they do it w just 1 nap.

nights- she sleeps through even if she's too tired to eat her night bottle.  We're lucky there.

DD can stay awake longer at daycare than she does at home too.  I think it's because there is just so much going on, she doesn't realize how tired she is, and she fights naps because it's not dark and quiet in there.  She will take one 30-60 minute nap in the afternoon, and then if I am lucky they will put her down for a quick 30 minute catnap around 4-4:30.  If I am not lucky, they don't read her tired cues, and then as soon as we get home she starts screaming and falls asleep during the 5:30 nursing session, which pushes bedtime back by 30-60 minutes (I only let her sleep for 30 minutes, but it's still annoying), and she's usually in a TERRIBLY cranky mood when I try to feed her dinner those nights.

When I get there at like 5:15 and see DD has taken, like, one nap from 12-12:30, and the afternoon teacher is like "she's been so great today!" but as soon as she sees me she starts screaming because she is exhausted, I get so mad.  Because I know what the rest of my night is going to be like.  Recently they got a new teacher to relieve the lead teacher in the afternoons, and she has been really good about putting DD down for a late afternoon catnap.  I hope she sticks around.

• klkonwiklkonwi member
    ^^^^ this would piss me off. 
    W would be a terrible candidate for this daycare. He can't miss out on any noise or activity. 

• delujm0delujm0 member
    klkonwi said:
    ^^^^ this would piss me off. 
    W would be a terrible candidate for this daycare. He can't miss out on any noise or activity. 

Yeah I was super pissed about it at first.  DD moved into the "crawler room" around 9.5 months which is where they prep them for the one year old room (they typically move in there around 15 months), so they only make it dark and quiet in there from 11:30am-2pm, which is the one year old room's daily naptime.  DD does typically take a nap during that time because there's not as much going on.  When she was in the infant room, they just had it dark-ish in there all the time and read tired cues all day long, so kids were just napping whenever (which makes sense, since there were kids in there from 6 weeks old - 9 months, so all different nap schedules).  The days that she gets a late afternoon nap it's typically because they have consolidated the crawler and infant rooms together (due to kids leaving for the day) and she's been moved to the infant room, where the afternoon teacher notices that she's tired and puts her down.

I was ENRAGED about this when she first moved over, but then we investigated the other two 5-star centers that are in our immediate vicinity, and this was common practice in all of their crawler rooms.  I don't want to move out of a 5-star facility, so I'm just dealing with it for the next few months...hopefully she'll cut down to one nap soon and it won't be an issue anymore.  On weekends she typically does a 90 minute nap and then a 30 minute catnap, so if we can move that 90 minute nap a bit later, and maybe stretch it out a bit longer, she'll probably drop the catnap entirely.  But I'm not going to sleep-torture her on weekends, so until she's clearly ready for that I'm not going to force it.  I suspect she'll do this on her own in the next 3-6 months.  Until then I pray for the good new afternoon teacher to always be in charge when I pick her up.  When we have another kid we have discussed hiring a nanny instead of doing daycare, and I'd gladly poach that new teacher for the job.  She seems to get it.

• Yikes! My kid would be a nightmare with one nap every day. He still takes 2 naps a day for a total of 2-4 hours a day napping. I'm already stressing about MDO in August and the nap situation. It's going to be rough adjusting. he still won't takes nap alone in his crib (I know so bad) 
  • slr1229slr1229 member
    @delujm0 We must be in similar boat because all the kids in her class are over 1 and they moved her around 9 1/2 months.  Their set time is 11:30-2ish as well for lights out nap time.  She's still too young in my opinion, I was too naive to speak up and realize that was too young and now I'm like damnit!  
  • delujm0delujm0 member
    slr1229 said:
    @delujm0 We must be in similar boat because all the kids in her class are over 1 and they moved her around 9 1/2 months.  Their set time is 11:30-2ish as well for lights out nap time.  She's still too young in my opinion, I was too naive to speak up and realize that was too young and now I'm like damnit!  

Yeah the napping thing is a botch...there are 7 kids in her crawler room now and 4 of them were born in June 2015, so those 4 do nap at off times and occasionally get a second nap, but it's still annoying.  There are benefits though...they have more room for her to cruise around in that room, they actually give her table food twice a day (which means I don't have to deal with that during the week because they provide the food), they bring them outside for playtime, and they're about to start teaching her to use a sippy cup.  So it's not all bad I guess!  When they get in a situation where the ratios are working out weird (it's 5:1 max for infants in NC) and they need to move someone into the infant room from the crawler room for the day, they usually pick DD and we do not fight it because at least she naps better in there.
  • I must have turned off the sound on our monitor the other night in my sleep, woke to a crying baby at 5:45ish in the morning.  I felt horrible, I went upstairs to feed him, he went back down till about 7:30am.  
    Last night, when he stirred, I let him CIO to see if he would settle himself and he did! Two nights in a row that I have not had to wake up in the middle of the night to feed him/settle him.  I think we are on to something, CIO might be the key. I was hesitant at first, but it seems to be working, he will cry 2-3 min, then lay himself down and he's out!
  • @swiebe yay for sleeping through the night. CIO method definitely helped for us. However I need to work on this middle of night feedings. He wants bottle just for comfort. Pediatrician advises to cut it out cold turkey. Easier said than done! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• beemaya83 I would not stress about him wanting a Bottle in the middle of the night I think has a parent we do what we think is best and easier for us and our toddler.I know it is the pedi job to tell us to wean off the bottle at a year old but in the end it is pretty much our decision.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy TickerPregnancy Ticker
  • @HuntersMommi227 thank you for this!!! 

So I started to give him water on his first wake up time which is only 3 hours in from bed time. He wakes up two other times between 2-5. Then he gets milk. My gut just tells me this is what my baby needs. 
    Pregnancy Ticker