August 2015 Moms

baby cires at drop off

These past 2 weeks my LO just entered a new phase where he cries every time I drop him off at daycare. He used to be excited and happy but now he cries in the mornings and it breaks my heart. The daycare says it usually lasts about 5-10 minutes but it's so sad for me and him. Does anyone have any tips to make this transition easier?

Also, its not just dropping him off at daycare. My mother comes over to babysit once a week and when LO see's me or my husband leave he cries. Yesterday at Easter with the family he only wanted to be held by mom and dad.

Re: baby cires at drop off

• Babies go through a leap around 7 months, and they learn that people can leave. Wonder weeks has a very nice description of when the leaps (mental growth spurts) happen, and what is learned at each one.

L is doing the same things. Whenever H or I leave the room, or his sight he starts to cry. 

I have found that distracting him with a favored toy helps for him to forget that I am no longer there.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• This is a totally normal phase at this age. Like PP said, they are learning that people can leave, and my LO has become extremely clingy as well lately. Even if I just put him down to play on the floor when I walk into the kitchen to cook or do dishes. "This too shall pass", just give him all the love you can at drop-off and this will work itself out soon =) happened with DD at this age, and she outgrew it in about a month and a half, and LO is at his peek, but I'm noticing him self soothing and entertaining himself a bit more on a weekly basis. It's a tear-jersey at first for sure, but it's completely normal and to be expected and won't last forever!
  • Loading the player...
  • I know this post is a bit old but I've having the opposite issue.  LO cried today when I picked him up from sitters and reached for my sister in law.  I understand that children bond with caregiver and I'm glad LO is with family during the day but still hurts especially since I would love to be home with him all day but I can't give up the job.  
  • Mack2342 said:
    I know this post is a bit old but I've having the opposite issue.  LO cried today when I picked him up from sitters and reached for my sister in law.  I understand that children bond with caregiver and I'm glad LO is with family during the day but still hurts especially since I would love to be home with him all day but I can't give up the job.  
    Please please please try not to take it personally! It is a phase as well!
  • happy to report the phase is ending. LO now smiles and laughs when he gets to daycare!
  • Mack2342 said:
    I know this post is a bit old but I've having the opposite issue.  LO cried today when I picked him up from sitters and reached for my sister in law.  I understand that children bond with caregiver and I'm glad LO is with family during the day but still hurts especially since I would love to be home with him all day but I can't give up the job.  
    Please please please try not to take it personally! It is a phase as well!
    Thanks!  I know it's a phase and I tell myself that still makes me sad.  SIL said today that he always gets excited when garage door opens and he sees me so that helps!  I'm better today than I was the first day it happened.