April 2016 Moms

Breastfeeding and bottles

I solely breastfeed. We have given our son a pumped bottle a few times and half the time he's great but the other half is horrible. It comes out way to fast! We are using dr browns with the number 1 nipple. Any other suggestions!?

Re: Breastfeeding and bottles

• You're not alone. I have no advice since I'm in the same boat.

We even have the Dr Browns bottles too, but she just gulps and chokes down the milk like she hasn't been fed in days. 

I'm hoping for some help as well. 

Pregnancy Ticker

• We use Dr browns. I'm not sure which nipple but out of all the bottles we have that's slowest feeding one we have everything else he drinks to fast and spits back up or gets gas with. But the other thing I've learned that works and I'm not sure why but when I'm feeding him I'll have him sitting up either on my propped up legs or against my belly and he does well that way
  • Loading the player...
  • Try the preemie nipple. We use Dr. Brown's with the number one nipple as well, and DS does okay, but he still coughs and chokes sometimes. It's not as bad as how much he chokes with my forceful letdown though. :wink: 
  • Have them sit up and make the bottle horizontal to the floor so that only a little bit is getting to the bottle nipple at a time. Also take frequent breaks.
  • We've been most successful with the munchkin LATCH bottle. The nipple is really wide like a boob and they have to work a little to get the milk to come out. I also pull the nipple out of his mouth about every 5 swallows to help him slow down. He has more gas with bottles, but the least with the latch ones if that makes sense.
  • Definitely try the preemie flow nipple.
  • wildtotwildtot member
    Ds seems to do better with the premie nipples too and I also take it out to give him breaks when I feel like he's drinking too fast.
  • kdrn913kdrn913 member
     I've also heard the preemie nipples are a good choice. We usually pace her a little bit too so just take the nipple out every few sucks, usually just have to do this right at the beginning and then she gets the hang of it 
  • You're not alone. I have no advice since I'm in the same boat.

We even have the Dr Browns bottles too, but she just gulps and chokes down the milk like she hasn't been fed in days. 

I'm hoping for some help as well. 
    I can only use dr Browns with a preemie nipple on it and she still gulps. When she starts I take it from her for a sec and always remember to not tip the bottle up to high 
  • MrsZkoMrsZko member
    We've had success with both sons using Tommy tippee number 1 nipples. I really recommend this brand!
  • Has anybody tried the tommy tippee anti colic bottle ? 
    Looks like it has extra parts like a dr Browns 
  • DD used tommy tippee. She refused bottles at first so we tried a bit of everything. Once she got a hang of bottles she liked them. I didn't because I couldn't pump directly into them and they were a pain to clean. DH liked them for some reason though. We used TT, dr Browns, and the ventaires mostly with her.
  • I used Tommy tippee with my daughter. Now I can't find them with the inserts anymore for my son. I used to love them!
  • My husband uses medela calma with our daughter and it works really well. She has to work to get the milk, it doesn't just drip out when flipped upside down. Pricey but worth it.