3rd Trimester

medela breast pump bag

Hi,

I just got my breast pump (Medea advance double pump electric).  I just couldn't bring myself to pay $69 for the tote with extra accessories. Did anyone get this? Is it worth it? Is anyone doing an alternative such as a regular tote with an insulated bag inside?

Re: medela breast pump bag

• I don't remember what Medela I got through insurance, but it didn't come with a bag. I'm planning on using a tote bag I have laying around. As far as an insulated cooler bag for pumped milk, I'll probably use a cooler bag and ice pack we already have. Nothing over the top. I think it came from Costco? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have both the tote with the accessories and the regular Pump In Style without everything. I prefer the no frills pump. When I go somewhere without the baby and need to pump I bring the pump in a hard sided cooler with the wipes, hands free bra, a couple bags and the flanges with bottles. 
    The tote just wasn't big enough for everything I needed to carry with me. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh, I do use the cooker and ice pack that came with the tote, but only because I already had them. Any ice pack and small cooler will do. 
  • I bought them because I have an HSA debit/credit card and it says it was a qualifying expense. If you have an HSA or FSA that's how you could pay for it. I wasn't entirely sure I will need it either, but thought I should just in case. 
    TTC since 1/2013 on our own 
     HSG-2/2014 Rt ovary not visible and/or blocked 
     IF diagnosis 6/2014 
     DH on Clomid for low T 
     First cycle-clomid/ovidrel and TI 8/2015-BFN 8/31 
     Second cycle-clomid/ovidrel IUI 9/2015-
    BFP on 9/25/15 BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have both (the tote and just the pump itself).  The tote comes with some bottle accessories and such that are nice but not necessary.  I wouldn't bother if I were you.  It's $75 for a bunch of crap you probably have around your house.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• delujm0delujm0 member

I got the pump itself and then sprung for the messenger style bag (because the pump is separate from it, rather than the other bag/backpack that the pump is attached to).  I used my HSA.

HUGE MISTAKE.  The strap on the messenger bag broke about 2 months after I went back to work and started carting my pump back and forth daily.  I have a giant Vera Bradley tote bag that I use instead.  Much stronger and well made, and it holds more (and has a lot of interior pockets to organize).

I tell all my friends to just get the basic pump and find a bag that works for you specifically instead of paying money for the poorly made "official" bags that Medela sells.

• mclornmclorn member
    I was wondering about this also... sounds like it's not worth the expense!  Thanks for the info!
    ***Pregnancy Mentioned***
    ME: 32; DH: 34; TTC since 3/2014; Diagnosed Unexplained Infertility 2/2015
    3/2015-5/2015 IUI #1-3 with clomid + trigger:  CP + 2 BFN
    6/2015 Prep for IVF + ICSI + Assisted hatching
    7/2015 17 high-quality blasts, transferred 1 & froze 16
    8/2015: IVF#1 BFN; prep for FET
    9/2015:  Transferred 2 top grade hatching day 6 blasts
    10/2015:  10dp6dfet 754!! 13dp6dfet 2327!! 15dp6dfet 4919!!
    Present:  TWO heartbeats and all is well!!  G/B TWINS Due Date:  6/16/16
  • My Sister in law gave me her bag and I got a new pump through insurance.  I'm so glad I didn't pay the extra money for the bag because it's really not worth it!

Pregnancy Ticker