July 2016 Moms
Options

Ask a BTDT mom questions about birth/recovery/breastfeeding

Re: Ask a BTDT mom questions about birth/recovery/breastfeeding

• Options
    @schaze I have 4 doctors and one (male) definitely does. The others are fine.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If my dr hasn't brought up the gbs test should
    I mention it ?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    @Backbypopulardemand How many weeks are you? Looks like they check at 35-37 weeks and it should be pretty standard. If you haven't had it done by then, I would.

Edit: typo
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Backbypopulardemand How many weeks are you? Looks like they check at 35-37 weeks and it should've pretty standard. If you haven't had it done by then, I would.
    Thanks I have my 32 week appointment this Thursday I'll just ask her then 
  • Options
    Okay, so I mentioned this butthole swab to my sis and she was like 'well, were you planning on pooping out the baby cuz I thought normally a baby comes through a different hole' which seemed to be a good point to me.  The only scenario I could imagine was if you needed an episiotomy, then infections could pass from a butthole to a baby but otherwise what gives?
  • Options
    Any BTDT Mom's have a baby who was breech in the third tri and then had the baby flip?  Could you feel the baby flip or tell any difference after they did in your belly?
  • Options
  • Options
    LF93LF93 member
    I had GBS last year, so I don't know how that effects me with the pregnancy now! They haven't mentioned anything about it to me so I'll guess I'll ask next time. Think you need an IV of antibiotics while in labor to decrease the chance of passing it on to baby! My swab was vaginally as well and was over in seconds! I didn't feel a thing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DS#1 July 2016
    Baby #2 July 2018
  • Options
    Interesting about the swab thing. I was told I carry GBS from a routine urine sample first tri, so they told me I didn't need a test this tri, just antibiotics during birth. I wonder why they do the swab at all if they already test urine every appointment? Not like it really matters, just curious.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • Options
    I don't even remember my butthole swap....thats how quick and painless it was. I actually forgot about it, until I was looking at something that was talking about GBS and then thought "How do they test for that?" and had to look it up to remember how it was done. 
    It is super simple. Actually, my doctor last time sent me home with a swab and instructions and had me do the swab myself and drop it off at the lab.
  • Options
    schaze said:
    Do the cervical checks hurt? I've heard from some people that they are pretty bad..
    I never had cervical checks until I hit my due date. I found them uncomfortable, the way a pap test can be, but not terribly painful.

During my induction with the gel, several applications in (it makes your cervix incredibly sensitive) I had a really small doctor with small hands, and that was incredibly painful to the point that I was crying out/sobbing in pain during the check. My OB told me they don't use the gel for inductions anymore, so I'm not sure if that's just her practice or if it's not used at all anymore.
  • Options
    hreed7289 said:
    Any BTDT Mom's have a baby who was breech in the third tri and then had the baby flip?  Could you feel the baby flip or tell any difference after they did in your belly?
    Mine was breech until week 38 or 39. There was a lot of rolling around, but I didn't notice she was completely flipped until I felt her back/butt with my hands on the outside of my belly...how she was positioned. 
    My friend just had her baby a couple days ago. She recommended Epsom salt baths for faster healing/help with soreness.  Anyone have experience with this? I vaguely remember something about that last time but now I don't remember. I can't imagine getting in a bath tub right after giving birth so that can't be how it works?? Brain fart here.
  • Options
    The GBS swab is NBD - very quick. I tested positive so I was given antibiotics when I went into labor. Again, NBD.

I never had any cervical checks until I went into labor, but when I did it hurt like hell. Very painful for me. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    hreed7289 said:

Mine was breech until the last week or two.  She finally got head down and ready to go.  I think there are different positions I remember trying to get in to help encourage her to flip.  I remember feeling a ton of movement at one point and questioned if that might have been her flipping, but I dont really know.  She was large too, 9 pounds 4 oz.  
  • Options
    Has anyone experienced pizza while breastfeeding? My mum swears she had to quit pizza because it made me and my brother crazy for hours.  This is a sad sad possibility that I'm refusing to credit, but still... Thoughts? Tell me it's a superstition please.
  • Options
    kim1989kim1989 member
    ktomorrow said:
    Has anyone experienced pizza while breastfeeding? My mum swears she had to quit pizza because it made me and my brother crazy for hours.  This is a sad sad possibility that I'm refusing to credit, but still... Thoughts? Tell me it's a superstition please.
    I've never heard this one before. I fed DD for 15 months and DS for a year and definitely didn't stop eating pizza during that time 
  • Options
    @ktomorrow some people have to cut out common allergens like dairy and wheat when they're breastfeeding. I've never heard of specific pizza problems though.

• Options
    @ktomorrow I figured out my DD was sensitive to acidic foods and had to cut tomatoes when she was little so that may be why. She would have green foamy BMs and act miserable whenever I had too much acidic stuff. As she got older, I relaxed it (maybe 6 months?) and it no longer bothered her even though she still nursed.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    ktomorrow said:
    I had to limit consumption of pasta sauces (tomatoes) because it seemed to upset my DD via breastmilk. I've heard that chocolate is another common culprit. Each baby is different so we'll just have to see how they react and adjust diet as appropriate. 
  • Options
    ktomorrow said:
    I ate anything and everything and pizza was definitely in my diet. :)  I breastfed DS for 14 months and then DD for 24 months. 
  • Options
    With DD, I had to cut out things like pizza, but that is because anything tomato or pepper gave her hardcore diaper rashes (even if she just peed). And the dairy made her scream (we found out later she had a milk protein intolerance). 
  • Options
    What about lighting at night for feelings and diaper changes?  We have small bed side lights for both our bedroom and the nursery, but they're still pretty bright and light the whole room which just seems disruptive for middle of the night stuff.  Is there something else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    megstervt said:
    What about lighting at night for feelings and diaper changes?  We have small bed side lights for both our bedroom and the nursery, but they're still pretty bright and light the whole room which just seems disruptive for middle of the night stuff.  Is there something else?
    Maybe try a nightlight? Or change the wattage of your light bulbs to something a little more dim?
  • Options
    @YeezusButters nightlight is what I was thinking but wasn't sure if that was dumb.  We want to keep the lights the same for non-middle of the night stuff since it's the only light in the room (no ceilings lights in our house).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
    Married: October 2014
    NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
    M/C: June 2015
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16
  • Options
    @megstervt We got these tap lights for my getting up to pee and not wanting to fully wake myself. TOTALLY recommend them- going to get a few more for baby's room/ downstairs at night. They're pretty dim, easy, and portable. Plus super cheap.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/2-pack-tap-lite/120781?skuId=12134762&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_homedecor_&adpos=1o1&creative=43742653069&device=c&matchtype=&network=g
    Hit up the tap lights! Our master bath lights are SO BRIGHT. And after getting up at least once a night to pee and having to turn those bad boys on, I kept telling my husband I needed to get a nightlight. But then I remembered I had put a tap light by the toilet for DD (if she gets up in the middle of the night...but then she never used it), and snagged it. I just set it on the toilet tank, so I can put it on while I am peeing in the middle of the night. I am going to put one in the baby's room, for late night things.