November 2015 Moms

Pumping embarrassment

I was pumping at work today in my classroom. The door is always locked and the window covered while I do it, but a custodian decided to unlock my door today to fix my heat. I managed to duck behind the desk and shout out "go away" but he still saw my shoulders exposed and my bra and shirt on the chair. How embarrassing! Have any other mothers been walked in on while pumping?

Re: Pumping embarrassment

• MoRay05MoRay05 member
    It hasn't happened to me but it happened it an old co worker of mine. She was in one of the small conference rooms pumping and her boss walked in on his cell phone to grab a piece of paper of pen. He walked in, grabbed it and walked right out without even noticing she was pumping lol! 
  • I was hands free pumping while driving, at a long light a was disassembling real quick, looked over and saw two guys laughing at me in the truck next to me! My breasts weren't super exposed or anything (at this point I would even care). 
    I just started laughing too and shrugged. Pulled my shirt down and kept driving.
  • Loading the player...
  • At my former job, the place set aside for pumping was also the library/conference room. I would tape a huge sign to the door when I went in to pump, yet still at least three times a week someone would walk in on me. So frustrating!! 
  • Oh have been walked in on a couple times,always by another mom who needed to pump
     I'm not concerned, they're  boobs. You can't even see much so. The joys of being a working mom haha
  • Oh man, great thread. I work at a shared coworking space and pump in the conference room which unfortunately is where the finicky router is. The door locks, but there's a back door connected to an office that does not.

Twice in one day last week people tried to get in to reset the modem, found the door locked, and barged in the other door. The first time they didn't realize I was pumping I don't think and seemed confused why I kept shouting "can you just give me a minute please?" The second time I put a nursing cover on just in case, but the guy was still deer in the headlights mortified.

i don't REALLY care, but pumping is just not the most attractive look, haha, and I'm sure the image is now seared into a few childless brains. At this point it's almost easier just to sit in my car in the parking lot. The only issue is the battery pack or car charger both seem weaker than a wall plug!

• I was hands free pumping while driving, at a long light a was disassembling real quick, looked over and saw two guys laughing at me in the truck next to me! My breasts weren't super exposed or anything (at this point I would even care). 
    I just started laughing too and shrugged. Pulled my shirt down and kept driving.
    You are my hero! I have difficulty nursing in public so have no idea how pumping while driving is even possible. Kudos for your multi-tasking expertise!
  • There is a thread in D15 about a situation similar to yours!
  • smnewbysmnewby member
     I don't feel comfortable pumping in public but for some reason I have no problem pumping while driving!   I sort of feel like the car is my personal space and if people want to look in they do so at their own risk.

I do use latchedmama shirts however coupled w a handsfree bra so someone would have to have a keen eye or traffic would have to be at a standstill for anyone to actually catch a glimpse of a nipple!
  • My landlord (a 70ish year old man) decided to come clean out gutters and showed up on our back patio. I had my top completely off just pumping watching tv. He got an eyeful and then when I covered up, got a heated speaking to. Thankfully we have bought a house and moved since then ;-) 
  • kfry22kfry22 member
    I visit different dairy farms for work to collect milk samples from cows. One really cold day this winter instead of using my truck to sit in to pump, I used the farms restroom. The door was locked and someone knocked. I said just a minute and they knocked again. I said hang on and they jiggled the door handle and hit the door so hard it opened. 

Because I travel so much for work I pump while driving a lot. I have very heavily tinted windows and take mostly rural back roads. I always wonder if someone can see me and knows what I'm doing but I kind of don't care.