April 2016 Moms
Options

Postpartum wardrobe

What is everyone wearing these days? I'm almost 5 weeks PP and am at that awkward point where my maternity jeans are saggy but my regular ones (while they can be buttoned) give me a horrible muffin top.

So many of my dresses aren't nursing friendly (plus, it's still kind of cold here) and I want something that isn't leggings and a Target v-neck T-shirt (as much as I love both those things!!) I stay home, so I don't really need to dress up, but I don't want to look sloppy.

Re: Postpartum wardrobe

• Options
    I'm having a similar dilemma but I bought a short-sleeved cardigan that I plan to wear with a nursing tank for easy access. Also swallowed got control-top underwear for my sister's wedding next weekend. 
  • Options
    I agree. Nothing fits. I never thought I would see the day that I was tired of wearing yoga pants and sweatshirts. I really don't want to buy a ton of in between clothes but I might have to. I have a wedding in 3 weeks and my boobs are too big to fit in anything I own. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree. Nothing fits. I never thought I would see the day that I was tired of wearing yoga pants and sweatshirts. I really don't want to buy a ton of in between clothes but I might have to. I have a wedding in 3 weeks and my boobs are too big to fit in anything I own. 
    I have a wedding Saturday and I got something from Rent the Runway. If it doesn't fit, I will need to go shopping tomorrow....
  • Options
    Im over here rocking the yoga pants and maternity shirts still. I gained 55 pounds and still have 25 pounds to lose to be back at my prepregnancy weight. My jeans dont fit yet, I cant get them past my thighs. Its depressing but the weight is slowly coming off. When I leave the house I wear my maternity jeans and a maternity shirt or a tank top with an open cardigan over it, but I dont leave the house much right now.  I desperately need some shorts though, I live in south GA and its hot as balls here already, up in the 90s. 
  • Options
    I am also doing the yoga pants and sweatshirts.  I can button my pre-preg jeans but yeah...the muffin top makes me cry.
  • Options
    At home always leggings or shorts with a nursing tank. I also bought some tank tops that lift up halfway that can be worn out when it's hot enough. When I do go out, I only wear button-down or wrap tops, dresses and tunics unless I know for sure no breastfeeding is involved. I can fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes but I'm not in shape to wear the tighter body-conscious tops and dresses where it's obvious that I'm quite soft in the middle. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    wildtotwildtot member
    Still rocking the leggings. My main challenge is finding underwear that feel ok around my incision. I'm too scared to try regular pants right now. I got 20 lb left to reach pre pregnancy weight but I'll be happy if I can at least do 10 lbs.
  • Options
    redselig said:
    At home always leggings or shorts with a nursing tank. I also bought some tank tops that lift up halfway that can be worn out when it's hot enough. When I do go out, I only wear button-down or wrap tops, dresses and tunics unless I know for sure no breastfeeding is involved. I can fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes but I'm not in shape to wear the tighter body-conscious tops and dresses where it's obvious that I'm quite soft in the middle. 
    This is exactly my dilemma. Before I got KU I was in really good shape so my clothes were form-fitting, stretchy, and thin. No good now. 
  • Options
    I'm wearing AE jeggings and vnecks basically every day. Went to H&M to shop but decided to wait until going back to work. 
  • Options
    redselig said:
    This is exactly my dilemma. Before I got KU I was in really good shape so my clothes were form-fitting, stretchy, and thin. No good now. 
    I tried on a pre-KU snug jersey knit dress and I looked like an overstuffed sausage. :lol:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    redselig said:
    Yes, I fit into pretty much everything as well, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's flattering! I have a wedding to attend on Saturday. I really need to go through my closet or potentially borrow something from my mom! :neutral: 
  • Options
    I've lost 35lbs and am 4lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Buuuut pregnancy apparently made my hips huge and my tummy is definitely bigger so none of my old jeans fit yet but my maternity ones fall off. My maternity leggings still fit comfy though so I pretty much live in those and nursing my tanks.

I also have a wedding to attend next weekend and need to find something flattering. 
  • Options
    Lurking from May because I remember this being the worst last time! I went shopping when my son was like 3 weeks old and my boobs were giant and I just cried.  I think I basically ended up buying two cheapo pairs of jeggings from old navy in a size up and wearing with drapey Ts and tanks for the first 2 months or so. They are still sitting in a tub under my bed and I'm having this baby on Monday, so I guess I'll find out soon if they will work for this pregnancy. 
  • Options
    It's awful! I'm trying so hard to take it easy on myself but man, postpartum body of mine sucks! Spanx are helping but like most of you ladies...I also have a wedding to attend in a week. Boo! These boobs make even my drapy tops too snug! I hate this part!
  • Options
    I bought a few versatile items that worked with the awkward post baby body after having DS.  I was glad to have things I felt good in. Some of my old clothes never quite worked for me again, but nothing I was terribly sad to let go of. 
  • Options
    I just want to say I am so glad I am not alone.  I don't remember it being like this last time, or maybe I didn't care.  I am very lucky to have had a quick recovery, but I am definitely very soft in the middle and while I could wear my old clothes it's not pretty. 
  • Options
    My hips grew and my old pants don't fit. I only have stretchy shorts and dresses to wear but at home I am wearing pajamas. My stomach looks like it belongs to a corpse found floating somewhere.
  • Options
    MrsZkoMrsZko member
    I'm in lululemon pants or leggings and long term shirts or tunic that are breastfeeding friendly. I'm mostly home and or doing errands with the kids so I think it's appropriate for now! I'm not buying anything too crazy until I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight/shape. Almost 4 weeks PP and a good 10 pounds to go...
  • Options
    adifrogadifrog member
    It's been three weeks and I haven't attempted any non-maternity clothes.  The weight's coming off quicker than I'd hoped (29 down, six to go) but there's definitely a belly to deal with.  I'm mostly worried that my boobs will be too big for my shirts when I go back to work.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    What is everyone wearing these days? I'm almost 5 weeks PP and am at that awkward point where my maternity jeans are saggy but my regular ones (while they can be buttoned) give me a horrible muffin top.

So many of my dresses aren't nursing friendly (plus, it's still kind of cold here) and I want something that isn't leggings and a Target v-neck T-shirt (as much as I love both those things!!) I stay home, so I don't really need to dress up, but I don't want to look sloppy.
    Leggings and a target V neck is exactly what I'm wearing right now. Lol. I'm in that awkward phase too... And we're going to church on Sunday and brunch. I'm having a tiny panic attack as to what I'm going to wear.
  • Options
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm never going to fit into my old jeans...good thing it's shorts season and I don't do short or tight shorts anyway...
    STMs, when would you suggest waiting until before I start rebuilding my wardrobe? I have about 8 pounds until I hit my pre-pregnancy weight and can only get my pants halfway up my thighs. 
  • Options
    @AmadorRose When I had DD it took me about 6 months to feel comfortable in rebuilding my wardrobe. I was at my fittest when I got pregnant with her and those clothes never fit me again! I lost all but 10lbs (had gained 45) but never tightened back up. Two miscarriages later I went on an early summer bungee last year and gained even more weight before I got pregnant with my now 3 week old. This time around I'm determined to fit back into things by 3-4 months! Wearing maternity clothes at work when I'm not still pregnant is DEPRESSING! 
  • Options
    @AmadorRose whenever you want and feel comfortable. I'm waiting until I have to go back to work to start rebuilding but won't buy a lot until I'm done nursing. Just what I need. 
  • Options
    LjljljlLjljljl member
    @loveymay not to jack the thread, but I live in middle/south GA too!!!! In the Dublin/Vidalia area 
  • Options
    redselig said:
    I haven't succumbed to the mom jeans...yet.

I will live in sweatpants first. Just say no to mom jeans!
  • Options
    redselig said:

I always wondered, why the 20-inch crotch?
  • Options
    LjljljlLjljljl member
    The top half of my abdomen is back to its former look, buy everything below my bellybutton just hangs... I'm only one week pp, but I hate this. I looked better pregnant.
  • Options
    Omg this thread makes me feel depressed!  You all are like 5 pounds from your prepreg size, and Im over here hanging out with my 25 extra el bees. Maybe I should have indulged a little less.....oops! 
  • Options
    I've only lost 23 of the 42 pounds I've gained :(
    all my pre pregnancy stuff is too tight/ figure fitting and my jeans come up to the top of my thigh that's about it :( pregnancy leggings for the win
  • Options
    loveymay said:
    Omg this thread makes me feel depressed!  You all are like 5 pounds from your prepreg size, and Im over here hanging out with my 25 extra el bees. Maybe I should have indulged a little less.....oops! 
    You're not alone. I'm a week out and have lost 20 of the 50 I gained. The weight has come off easily with my other pregnancies, but it does take more than a week or two. We just had our picture taken today for our church directory and I realized that I don't look as good as I thought I did.☹️
  • Options
    dayj11dayj11 member
    I'm stuck in v neck tops and tops that button.  Nothing else is breastfeeding friendly as far as the top is concerned.  @AmadorRose getting back to pre pregnancy jeans was different with all my kids.  With my first two I did not ever go back. With my first it was a year before I got into shape due to being lazy on my part I admit.  With my second I had to go up to the next size. With these last two I was able to fit into my jeans right away.  I attribute that to the post pregnancy girdle and really healthy eating habits during pregnancy.  I don't own a scale so I have no idea how much I weigh. I only know what I gained during pregnancy.  
  • Options
    @Ljljljl im right on the GA/FL border, near Kingsland but in Charlton county.
  • Options
    I'm at my pre-pregnancy weight, but it looks different now. My stomach is much looser, so until I go to the gym and tighten up, I'm living in maxi dresses and just rolling with it.
  • Options
    redselig said:

It doubles as a girdle and holds in your pooch. Source: My mom felt uncomfortable in lower-rise jeans for years because she felt like her belly was hanging out.

Side note: Is "pooch" a known (slang) term for the lower belly area, or is it a regional thing? I tried looking up if that was how the slang term is spelled because I have never written it out before, and it doesn't seem very common. 
    kids with flags
  • Options
    @brenlo42 I have heard it. I'm from the northwest.
  • Options
    @brenlo42 I have heard it and used it and I'm from up North (Toronto, Canada).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    brenlo42 said:
    redselig said:

It doubles as a girdle and holds in your pooch. Source: My mom felt uncomfortable in lower-rise jeans for years because she felt like her belly was hanging out.

Side note: Is "pooch" a known (slang) term for the lower belly area, or is it a regional thing? I tried looking up if that was how the slang term is spelled because I have never written it out before, and it doesn't seem very common. 
    Pretty common, I think, and better than FUPA or "front butt"