Options

UO Thursday!!!!

Let's here 'em!!! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: UO Thursday!!!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I let my kids take their shoes off while playing outside it at the park, as long as it's not too cold or hot. This makes other parents very upset sometimes.  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I let my kids take their shoes off while playing outside it at the park, as long as it's not too cold or hot. This makes other parents very upset sometimes.  
    Why would they get upset? Stupid! I rarely wear shoes outside in the summer and my kids are the same way (unless they're walking on hot rocks or wood chips). 
  • Options
    Why would they get upset? Stupid! I rarely wear shoes outside in the summer and my kids are the same way (unless they're walking on hot rocks or wood chips). 
    Out here in San Diego, parents these days rarely let their kids take shoes off purely because we have been having d-bag people stick razor blades in the sand/grass/wood chips and they get embedded in the kids' little feet :( 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @sdLindenberg- that is one of the most messed up things ever. What psychos!!
  • Options
    @sdLindenberg- that is one of the most messed up things ever. What psychos!!
    Yup!! The last few though the kids have come away from unscathed, as one kid found a blade before it was too late and at another local park, a man was out walking his dog and saw something shiny. Law enforcement may be lacking in other areas, but when it comes to the kids of the city, they get the areas cleaned up relatively fast. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    They don't let their kids take their shoes off, so they think it's a bad example. 

Most of our parks here have the rubber ground, so no place to hide a blade. Or we play a lot at his school's private park or in our yard. (I've also never heard of that happening in our area, although I know some places it does)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So bizarre. I can see if you let them run around in their underwear, but c'mon...no shoes?
  • Options
    @AmberLiz99 that is such a silly reason for other parents to get mad. They should realize that they can't totally control shared public spaces.

My opinion (I don't know if it will be UO or not) is that I want as few cervical checks as possible. I was at my 36-week appointment today and my doctor told me they typically start doing them at 37 weeks. I just don't see the usefulness of the information that early. I'll be spending the next week trying to decide whether to refuse the check. The only thing that might make me go ahead with it is that the doctor said it's the best way to know for sure whether baby is head down, and that is actually information I would like to confirm.
  • Options
    alileecam said:
    Speaking of shoes, I prefer to wear shoes all the time. I have a few pairs that I wear around the house (so mud & dirt don't get tracked around) but I prefer having shoes on to being barefoot. 

I also hate when you go to someone's house not knowing it's a no-shoes house and have to remove your shoes. Then you have to look at other people's nasty bare feet and be embarrassed because you wore socks with a hole in them.
    I hate when people make you take off shoes (for non cultural or religious reasons). Unless it's a close friend it makes me uncomfortable. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You Americans are so weird about shoes in the house! I guess my UO is that wearing shoes in someone's home is weird and unnecessary. 
    I hate wearing shoes, and always take mine off in other people's homes. Unless I'm there for an event when I get dressed up, then I leave my shoes on. 

In Canada what do you do for house parties when you're dressed up? Wear heals then leave them at the door? 

• Options
    crdocrdo member
    You Americans are so weird about shoes in the house! I guess my UO is that wearing shoes in someone's home is weird and unnecessary. 
    As a fellow Canadian, this also baffles me. 
    So it's a Canadian cultural norm to remove shoes when you enter someone's home? Interesting! As an American, typically it's the other way around, unless you're close with whomever you're visiting, you're at a gathering and someone sets the "no-shoe" tone, or the host/homeowner invites you to remove shoes if you want. 

For me, it doesn't matter one way or another. Sometimes folks come over and ask if I'd like them to take off shoes, and I always just invite them to do whatever they're most comfortable with. 
  • Options
    crdo said:
    So it's a Canadian cultural norm to remove shoes when you enter someone's home? Interesting! As an American, typically it's the other way around, unless you're close with whomever you're visiting, you're at a gathering and someone sets the "no-shoe" tone, or the host/homeowner invites you to remove shoes if you want. 

For me, it doesn't matter one way or another. Sometimes folks come over and ask if I'd like them to take off shoes, and I always just invite them to do whatever they're most comfortable with. 
    Yeah, it's definitely the norm to remove your shoes here. Sometimes at a party you might be told you can keep your shoes on, but for the most part we always take off our shoes once we're in the house. 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

SaveSave
  • Options
    I hate wearing shoes, and always take mine off in other people's homes. Unless I'm there for an event when I get dressed up, then I leave my shoes on. 

In Canada what do you do for house parties when you're dressed up? Wear heals then leave them at the door? 
    You betcha.
  • Options
    ahernandez16ahernandez16 member
    edited May 2016

crdo said:

Same. I truthfully don't care what visitors do in my house in regard to shoes. We don't wear them because I prefer not to. I do always start to take my shoes off when I go to houses I've never been to before. Some people stop me and tell me that's not necessary, and others don't say anything so I keep them off.

My family all has a no shoe rule at their houses but most of our friends don't so I wear them when we visit them. I don't like being barefoot in other people's houses unless I have to be. It creeps me out.
  • Options
    I'm an 'Murican, and we always take our shoes off. Maybe it's because we live close to the border? :) really though, maybe it's a regional
    US thing?
  • Options
    crdocrdo member
    I'm an 'Murican, and we always take our shoes off. Maybe it's because we live close to the border? :) really though, maybe it's a regional
    US thing?
    Could be! It's not really a thing that's done across the board in the southeast. 
  • Options
    alitriaalitria member
    I live in WA state currently but I hate having shoes on in the house (I prefer being barefoot in general) and I try to get people to take them off unless it really bothers them.  My husband prefers to wear shoes all the time, so I bought him some slippers.  I never liked it and then lived for a while in AK which is firmly on the Canadian side of the shoe debate and got so used to the fact that everyone just takes their shoes off in the arctic entry that I just put a shoe rack in the entry to our house and encourage people to use it.  I'm especially picky when I have a crawling age baby because shoes are gross and it's hard enough to keep my floor clean enough for a kid who puts everything they find in their mouth. 
  • Options
    There is really no winning for me on this issue.  I hate having shoes in the house, because I don't want them to track in whatever dog turd they stepped in while they weren't paying attention.  But at the same time, I don't want to look at your nasty feet... so I sure hope you've got socks on.
  • Options
    crdo said:
    US thing?
    Could be! It's not really a thing that's done across the board in the southeast. 
    Right! I actually live in the southeast. It makes sense not to wear muddy snowboots in the winter and tromp through someone else's or your own house, but here, if you have a party at your house, it's probably warm and sunny and you'll be walking in and out and it would be weird to take your shoes off. It's literally always an unwelcome surprise for me and makes me self-conscious because I wasn't prepared. And I also effing love shoes and they are probably the thing I built my outfit around. 

Still, clearly I hit the nail on the head with an unpopular opinion today!!
    TTC#1 since May 2011

BFP #1 June 2011 m/c@6wks

BFP #2 December 2011, EDD 8/21/12, born 7/21/12 at 35w4d

BFP #3 October 6, 2015. WHAT???

• Options
    @NicknShan I allow puddle jumping too. As if I have a choice...Olive is OBSESSED with it. Every time she sees the slightest bit of moisture on the ground she starts yelling "SPLASH SPLASH!" and dancing on whatever sad excuse for a "puddle" she's found.

I also kind of let her run wild in general I guess. Kids need to explore and take risks when they play. It seems to cause other people (including my husband) some serious anxiety. And I don't really police her interactions with other kids unless someone's really getting upset. I like to let kids sort it out for themselves even if the outcome isn't a perfect model of fairness and sharing. Most of my closer mom friends are of the same mindset so it always throws me off when we're in a public play place and some mom starts getting way too involved with whose turn it is to do something or play with something...argh.
  • Options
    NLewis1NLewis1 member
    edited May 2016
    US thing?
    Born and raised in Wyoming and it's polite to remove your shoes here. The idea is you aren't tracking dirt and muck through someone else's home. I would be so livid if someone walked into my house and didn't remove their shoes. My babies play on our floor and I don't need them picking up something nasty and putting into their mouths that came in on your nasty shoe. 

Yuck dude.
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• Options
    Bear14+Bear14+ member
    annaf2011 said:
    @AmberLiz99 that is such a silly reason for other parents to get mad. They should realize that they can't totally control shared public spaces.

My opinion (I don't know if it will be UO or not) is that I want as few cervical checks as possible. I was at my 36-week appointment today and my doctor told me they typically start doing them at 37 weeks. I just don't see the usefulness of the information that early. I'll be spending the next week trying to decide whether to refuse the check. The only thing that might make me go ahead with it is that the doctor said it's the best way to know for sure whether baby is head down, and that is actually information I would like to confirm.
    This is how my dr confirms it. They can feel the baby's head. 
  • Options

Because I work for Drug Court and am so jaded, the first thing I think of are used heroin needles.  This world is messed up!  But I am definitely pro-shoeless feet outside where there are no drug addicts!
  • Options
    I hate wearing socks, so I always feel weird to take off my shoes in someone's house and just go barefoot!  If I have socks, I don't mind...

• Options
    I've only ever known two families that didn't allow shoes inside as an actual rule. They were both from up north. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    alileecam said:
    Speaking of shoes, I prefer to wear shoes all the time. I have a few pairs that I wear around the house (so mud & dirt don't get tracked around) but I prefer having shoes on to being barefoot. 

I also hate when you go to someone's house not knowing it's a no-shoes house and have to remove your shoes. Then you have to look at other people's nasty bare feet and be embarrassed because you wore socks with a hole in them.
    I hate when people make you take off shoes (for non cultural or religious reasons). Unless it's a close friend it makes me uncomfortable. 
    Culprit here. But only because we live in the desert and people track in thorns. (Boars' heads.) They're the worst!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Options
    I usually keep my shoes on at Peoples houses unless it's raining or snowing, but I agree it's kinda gross. I take my shoes off the minute I get home, but I have house sandals I wear, mostly just for support. My feet feel better on my wood floor with shoes on.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I've only ever known two families that didn't allow shoes inside as an actual rule. They were both from up north. 

Snow. There is nothing worse than getting salt tracked in on carpet. It will be there forever.

Source: We are a no-shoes household in Ohio.

• Options
    I'm getting my SIL a sign that says "Since little fingers touch our floors, please leave your shoes at the door."  She doesn't like anyone to wear shoes in the house, but is uncomfortable asking. 
    I want this sign too. When you have a baby crawling around its just gross to wear shoes in the house. 

I I also let DS jump and play in muddy puddle when it rains and it's not too cold. I mean what else are you supposed to do on rainy days?
  • Options

Snow. There is nothing worse than getting salt tracked in on carpet. It will be there forever.

Source: We are a no-shoes household in Ohio.

Texas gulf coast, so snow isn't something I have ever had to deal with. I cannot imagine how gross that can get. 
    Pregnancy Ticker