July 2015 Moms

Sleep troubles

crace0112crace0112 member
edited May 2016 in July 2015 Moms
My almost 10 month old has been waking up almost every 3 hours at night for a couple weeks now and seems to be waking up for the day earlier every day. At one point he was able to sleep for a good 7-8 hour stretch at night with 1 overnight bottle. I can't get him back to sleep without giving him a bottle. I don't know if it's a sleep regression? Teething? His top teeth seem to be taking forever to poke thru. His gums have looked swollen for about 2 months now and still no top teeth. Or have I just created terrible sleep habits? I've never been able to get him to fall asleep in his crib by himself at night but occasionally he will for his morning nap. I've made a poor attempt at CIO but neither of us are good at it. I can't stand to hear him cry and he only cries worse when I go in to check on him. I've been hoping that'll he'll eventually just drop the feedings on his own and magically start sleeping thru the night but I'm quickly losing that hope. Any suggestions??

Re: Sleep troubles

• n3na94n3na94 member
    I think it's definitely teething. Especially if you've seen his gums have been swollen. Poor thing hopefully those teeth come soon. Also I'm almost entering leap 7, so that combine with teething doesn't help. Give your baby boy extra cuddles and be patient mama hopefully this too shall pass! Keep us posted!
  • I started only having a sippy cup of water available when he wakes up at night. The first couple days were restless, but he eventually realized that water wasn't worth waking up and stayed asleep. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • AKOL0AKOL0 member
    That is what my doctor suggested, to give water. However, my girl never gets a bottle so it wasn't really an option. To get her to stop asking for milk, we just put up with being sleep deprived for a few days. I just fought giving her any breastmilk and cuddled her until she fell back asleep. She still wakes up now but she knows she isn't getting feed and falls asleep pretty soon after.  We are still working on getting her to stay in her crib. She screams until I grab her and bring her to our bed. 

You could have a teething problem though. My girl has two teeth that have stopped growing. They started two months ago and then just stopped and haven't started back up again. It's really annoying. If your boys gums are swollen, I don't think they have stopped so they should be out soon. You should try the water trick to see if it help. 
  • @mbilbrey00How much water would you let him have? I've tried giving water a couple nights but he'd drink about 7 oz of water and still cry until I caved and gave him a couple oz of milk. I think tonight I'll try giving him a full 8 oz bottle of water but I'm worried about filling him up too much and still having to give him milk. I'll have to not cave so easily too
  • n3na94n3na94 member
    edited May 2016
    crace0112 said:
    @mbilbrey00How much water would you let him have? I've tried giving water a couple nights but he'd drink about 7 oz of water and still cry until I caved and gave him a couple oz of milk. I think tonight I'll try giving him a full 8 oz bottle of water but I'm worried about filling him up too much and still having to give him milk. I'll have to not cave so easily too
    Remember during growth spurts they need lots of milk since they get hungrier, I don't give my son more than 5 oz a day because I don't want to fill him up.
  • We keep a 4 oz. baby bottle of water by the bed.  Whenever he wakes up, baby boy gets a sip and then his pacifier and back to sleep after a cuddle.  I will say that his nighttime water intake has gone up recently.  I think it's a growth spurt because he is also suddenly eating more.  But, it could just be the fussy period for leap 7.  Last night, he had almost 8 oz. (2 of the little bottles), his overnight diaper was ready to fall off by morning it was hanging so low on his little hips.  So we may just give him a small formula bottle if he is up that much again tonight. 
  • Update: we've made it all week with no MOTN milk bottle and he's only been drinking a few ounces of water at night if any at all. We had one really good night were he slept from 2 am until 930 am but since then he's been back to waking up almost every 3 hours. It looks like one of his top teeth is finally starting to poke thru (I hope!) so maybe once that happens we'll  start sleeping better. Fingers crossed!! And if this is all just from teething I'm scared to even think about what it will be like when his molars are coming in! Lol